Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2012, 02:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

F.O.R.D - '87 Dodge Dakota LE

Failure - '01 Toyota Corolla CE

Aveo - '07 Chevrolet Aveo LS
90 day: 36.87 mpg (US)
If the US made the standard, standard

What do you think would happen to the average fuel economy, and gas prices in the United States if the standard transmission were the standard? It can go either way, I feel like the general population would focus more on power than economy, always keeping the engine right in that powerband, and never releasing a pedal... either on the brake, or on the gas... but never coasting or lightly on the gas.
However, a standard transmission is so much more efficient just in its mechanical factors, and there are those people that can hypermile out the ass to offset it a bit.
Thoughts? Do you think that the mindset of the United States would counteract the mechanical advantages, or do you think that people would take advantage of the ability to drive properly?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-31-2012, 06:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
I think it wouldn't work. Math and physics are not Americans' forte, and I think it would be too hard to explain to most people which gear is the correct gear to use. Getting a mass driver education program in itself would be difficult, nevermind having people understand it.

From what I've seen, people who drive manual tend to think that there is an optimum rpm range that you should always stay in, and won't shift up at low speeds, although my sample size is very small heh. But if you listen to the sports cars (which tend to be the only manual transmission cars rolling on the streets these days) rolling around town, often times their exhaust note indicates they're running at a pretty high rpm, so I think my observation is not far from the truth.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
With the traditional gearboxes in most US vehicles you're using a lot more fuel.
If they were changed over to manuals, it could save quite a bit.

Swapping them over for dual-clutch transmissions, you could be as good or better than with the manuals - especially with drivers that aren't used to manuals

On the Euro NEDC, these automated manuals are starting to get better mpg numbers than their manual counterparts.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Dunno. If we are talking about a national fleet of new vehicles, seems the new a/ts are pretty much the equal of m/ts as far as EPA tests go.

So then the big variable is the driver... so many of them with their heads up their.... they're better off with a/ts; then the slightly better than average driver might have equal mpg with either one; then the slim minority that are hypermilers or near hypermilers would be the ones to really make the m/ts shine.

So as a national fleet, with the current crop of dumb motorists, I think a/ts might have the edge.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Chief - '06 Pontiac Grand Prix
90 day: 26.7 mpg (US)

SF1 - '12 Ford Fiesta S
90 day: 30.95 mpg (US)
The only reduction in fuel usage would be from persons not able to drive m/t vehicles and not driving. Another mind exercise would be if power steering was no longer an option would it reduce the size and weight of vehicles on the road thus improving mpg?
Old 03-31-2012, 09:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rookie Ecomodder

zoomzoom - '06 Mazda 6i sport
Someone needs to make a simple no frills car with manual windows, a manual trans, manual mirrors etc and etc.

Todays cars are filled with so much gadgetry it adds more weight and distractions to the driver. May be the ABS can stay and HID headlights would be good -with other LED lights. All wheel drive would be nice if I lived in the snow belt/North.(-but this would sacrifice gas mileage. )

This is what Germany did with the VW bug. The peoples car. Something almost everyone could afford.

The Mazda I bought 6 years ago has power seats. I did not want power seats. You set the position once and then what? I carry the weight of those little motors and wiring with me everywhere I go -same with power mirrors. You set them once and leave them alone. This gadgetry makes no sense.

Unfortunately Americans are lazy and want their conveniences.
The Following User Says Thank You to rollercoaster For This Useful Post:
gasstingy (04-27-2012)
Old 03-31-2012, 09:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Camaro - '00 Chevrolet Camaro SS
90 day: 16.18 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevrolet S10 LS
90 day: 15.84 mpg (US)

Formula - '99 Pontiac Firebird Formula
90 day: 21.14 mpg (US)
Autos are now being equipped with 6 speeds so driven right, can get good gas mileage.

I could see it going numerous ways.

People driving manuals:
Might "race" around more
Be more aware of their running vehicle's status (checking all the gauges)
in addition to ^, be more in tune with how they're driving.

People driving autos:
Less aware of their vehicle's status, less in tune
Punch it and go
On the other hand, feel less of a speed racer and just cruise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollercoaster View Post
Someone needs to make a simple no frills car with manual windows, a manual trans, manual mirrors etc and etc.
Thats what the 1LE Camaro used to be. A/C delete, Radio delete etc. Sadly the new one wont carry the similar options.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollercoaster View Post

Todays cars are filled with so much gadgetry it adds more weight and distractions to the driver. May be the ABS can stay and HID headlights would be good -with other LED lights. All wheel drive would be nice if I lived in the snow belt/North.(-but this would sacrifice gas mileage. )

This is what Germany did with the VW bug. The peoples car. Something almost everyone could afford.

The Mazda I bought 6 years ago has power seats. I did not want power seats. You set the position once and then what? I carry the weight of those little motors and wiring with me everywhere I go -same with power mirrors. You set them once and leave them alone. This gadgetry makes no sense.

Unfortunately Americans are lazy and want their conveniences.
Lotus Elise/Exige seems to fit the bill, it doesn't even have power steering, ABS, or cruise control :P Too bad we don't get the base model here in the US, that thing gets some SERIOUS mpgs, especially with the new Valvematic engine.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

heh... asking people to give up automatic transmissions...
Old 04-03-2012, 12:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Debonair -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debonair View Post
Autos are now being equipped with 6 speeds so driven right, can get good gas mileage.
I rue the day when an auto gets same/better MPG than a manual (in the hands of an Ecomodder, that is).

Quote:
Thats what the 1LE Camaro used to be. A/C delete, Radio delete etc. Sadly the new one wont carry the similar options.
Looked it up. Pretty neat.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Reply  Post New Thread