Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2008, 04:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

SilverStang - '00 Ford Mustang
90 day: 22.23 mpg (US)
The most important thing besides the aerodynamics is where can I get a Tranny swap done at a shop and how much it will cost?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-13-2008, 07:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

6th Gen Coupe - '02 Honda Accord EX 4 cyl
90 day: 28.01 mpg (US)

Zombie Accord - '98 Honda Accord EX
90 day: 24.71 mpg (US)

Ol' Red - '96 Ford F-150 XL
90 day: 14.43 mpg (US)
I have no idea whether or not you can get a tranny swap done at a shop or not. I would bet that you can, it would just be very expensive. If you have the know how, you would be better served to get a manual tranny from a junked car and install it yourself. I think it would take a very long time to recoup the cost of having someone else do it for you, even if you were to save a lot of gas.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ok well, maybe the tranny thing will have to wait awile yet since my mustang is my daily driver and I have no backup car, so does anyone know where i can buy a cheap metro or civic for under $500 it can't have to many problems, but $750 is tops since I still am in college and am paying on that as well. Plus for my Mustang what would be good less rolling resistance tires, My tires ar 17" BTW if it were stock and I had those rims(which the seller didn't give me) then I would use those case aren't smaller wheels better? And could I buy some sort of plastic sheet or material to cover up the hole in the grille and overlay the sidescoops, so they are more aerodynamic at Lowe's cause i never really looked.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Mustang - '04 Ford Mustang Convertable

Mustang - '04 Ford Mustang Convertable
6 Cyl Mustang

I have some mpg experience with the Mustang. I have a 6cyl manual 2004 and have some experience with the mpg.

Mixed city highway almost 50/50 with a 30 mile commute I get 25mpg with no AC. On the highway I exceed the EPA of 29 for long trips at 65mph usually with 30-31 mpg. If I slow down to 60mph I usually get 33mpg.

The AC and speed take a serious toll. Full time AC use brings my commute combined from 25mpg to 22mpg.

I have used a scangauge so this is reasonably accurate info for my car.

I have a cold air kit and low rolling resistance tires (Conticontact ch95).
Old 07-14-2008, 01:21 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Well Im going to get the scangauge and I' going to try driving with the A/C off for good. I do Mostly Highway driving so it should improve if i cut the air and add a grille block and rear wheel skirts at least.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:47 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Formula - '96 Firebird Formula/Trans-Am
90 day: 19.31 mpg (US)
Don't bother with the tranny swap unless you can do it yourself. The labor costs alone will far out weigh any fuel costs savings from it.

Take a pic of your car straight on from the side, while kneeling (low angle) and post it. I can toss it on the flow illustraightor they were talking about and give you an idea of how the body kit, and wing are effecting the car. I know that the wing is totally non-functional, but not sure about it's effect on air flow. As for the grille block, anything works. Duct tape, card board, lexan, plexiglass, etc etc. What alot of guys here use is plastic Cloroplast, the material used in many of those cheap stick-in road side signs for garage sales, and political ads. Can also be bought at sign shops.

Lets see how far it can go

"All I know about music is that not many people ever really hear it. [...] But the man who creates the music is hearing something else, is dealing with the roar rising from the void and imposing order on it as it hits the air. What is evoked in him, then, is of another order, more terrible because it has no words, and triumphant, too, for the same reason. And his triumph, when he triumphs, is ours." -Sonny's Blues
Old 07-14-2008, 02:09 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Red Jeep Patriot - '07 Jeep Patriot
90 day: 25.14 mpg (US)

Beige Ford Ranger - '95 Ford Ranger XLE
Very nice car. I've always liked the late-90s/early-2000s Mustangs. I remember when they came out with the current body style, I was thinking: "Yes! Finally the previous style will depreciate enough for me to afford one" since everyone was clamoring for the new version.

20-mpg isn't a bad track record. I bet you could do 25-mpg with it soon enough .
Old 07-14-2008, 02:30 AM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakster View Post
Very nice car. I've always liked the late-90s/early-2000s Mustangs. I remember when they came out with the current body style, I was thinking: "Yes! Finally the previous style will depreciate enough for me to afford one" since everyone was clamoring for the new version.

20-mpg isn't a bad track record. I bet you could do 25-mpg with it soon enough .
I just did 25MPG from my last fillup(not lifetime yet ), my fuel gauge is off. That was from not using the A/C and keeping the windows at a small crack, shutting the engine off once or twice because I figured i'd be I'd be idling long. and my fuel gauge told me I had half a tank left, It's only been 5 days and No way should it go down that fast I refueled just 15min ago and it only actually took 4.080Gal to fill it from half suspicious huh. So is this a Fuel pump problem or an O2 sensor problem I'm not mech savvy with cars. After I do my AeroMods I'm sure I'll get even better MPG, I've been practicing "puse-n-Glide" a bit. Its working for me, Now I just hope I can get a scangauge II soon, but if it's a problem with the sensor My fuel pump might need to be replaced first

Old 07-14-2008, 02:49 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Formula - '96 Firebird Formula/Trans-Am
90 day: 19.31 mpg (US)
Bad gas guage would be a sending unit problem more then likely. A total PITA to get at, it's in the gas tank.

Lets see how far it can go

"All I know about music is that not many people ever really hear it. [...] But the man who creates the music is hearing something else, is dealing with the roar rising from the void and imposing order on it as it hits the air. What is evoked in him, then, is of another order, more terrible because it has no words, and triumphant, too, for the same reason. And his triumph, when he triumphs, is ours." -Sonny's Blues
Old 07-14-2008, 02:56 AM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanidiot25 View Post
Bad gas guage would be a sending unit problem more then likely. A total PITA to get at, it's in the gas tank.
So I am guessing they are going to charge me a lot at the dealership to relace the sending unit? and is it neccessary to get it fixed or Would I be better off with a scangauage II instead?

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
aerodynamics, mpg