Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2008, 03:16 AM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Formula - '96 Firebird Formula/Trans-Am
90 day: 19.31 mpg (US)
The labor costs are pretty big, since the gas tank has to be dropped out of the car. And it's not a DIY thing if your not good with a car. I can ask my dad tomorrow and see what he estimates the labor on the fuel sending unit it, he's a 20+ year ASE mechanic

These guys know more about the scan gauge then I, but I don't think it uses the readings from the sending unit. I would get the sending unit fixed if it was really off. Kinda helps to know how much gas you have, lol.

Lets see how far it can go

"All I know about music is that not many people ever really hear it. [...] But the man who creates the music is hearing something else, is dealing with the roar rising from the void and imposing order on it as it hits the air. What is evoked in him, then, is of another order, more terrible because it has no words, and triumphant, too, for the same reason. And his triumph, when he triumphs, is ours." -Sonny's Blues
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-14-2008, 03:30 AM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

SilverStang - '00 Ford Mustang
90 day: 22.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanidiot25 View Post
The labor costs are pretty big, since the gas tank has to be dropped out of the car. And it's not a DIY thing if your not good with a car. I can ask my dad tomorrow and see what he estimates the labor on the fuel sending unit it, he's a 20+ year ASE mechanic

These guys know more about the scan gauge then I, but I don't think it uses the readings from the sending unit. I would get the sending unit fixed if it was really off. Kinda helps to know how much gas you have, lol.
Hey thanks, really appreciate that if you can find that out. Will give me an idea of how much money I'm going to have to save up. Thanks again.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:00 AM   #23 (permalink)
Did you get that thing?

Green Machine - '92 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 39.98 mpg (US)

Money pit - '97 Infiniti j30
90 day: 22.74 mpg (US)
Dropping the tank really isn't terrible on a lot of cars, you just need an empty tank to do it and another pair ar hands is helpful but not 100% needed. Unless your tank is above your exhaust, you should be able to pull the straps and drop it down. Just make sure you have a jack and a flashlight to do it the "right" way. Keep the jack under the tank while you unbolt the straps and then slowly lower the tank while looking with a flashlight at hoses and wires to make sure you arent letting the tank hang-up on any of them. Some tanks have the clip for the wires for the sending unit and pump underneath the rear seat so check there first to make your life easier.

If you don't want to tackle the problem yourself, I wouldn't go to the dealer. Price shop around for the best price from your local mechanics and you will pay probably close to half what the dealer will charge you.

Swapping an auto to a manual is a PITA, I did it once. Putting the trans and shifter in was cake, making sure the clutch pedal was going in the right place and actually mounting it on the firewall was a nightmare.

To make your auto shift when you want, you need a fully manual valve body. You can probably change the pre-programmed shift points with a computer, but the car will still shift at those new points by itself.

Your stock gears are 3.27 in the rear of that car and your rear is a 7.5" just incase you wanted to look into swapping in some 2.73's or something like that.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:34 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Talked to my dad. He said it would be anywhere from 1-6 hours of labor depending on the car, so figure what the cost of labor is in your area. Your mustang should be on the cheaper side of things. Cars like the newer CTS and such where the rear suspension have to be dropped are the 6 hour cars. So maybe figure a 1-2 hour labor cost.

"All I know about music is that not many people ever really hear it. [...] But the man who creates the music is hearing something else, is dealing with the roar rising from the void and imposing order on it as it hits the air. What is evoked in him, then, is of another order, more terrible because it has no words, and triumphant, too, for the same reason. And his triumph, when he triumphs, is ours." -Sonny's Blues
Old 07-14-2008, 01:26 PM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

sputnik - '93 oldsmobile silhouette
90 day: 23.23 mpg (US)

home sweet home - '92 ford clubwagon E-350 xlt

very excelant - '92 honda civic vx
i would just get the scan gauge.

if you are keeping track of mpg with your odometer you should have a pretty good idea how many miles you have left before you run dry.

even with no gas guage you still have a low fuel light right?

as you become more effecient, you will get a better feel for your car. unless you develope serius engine problems eg. bad O2 sensor. your mpg should be pretty consistant with a trend twards more miles per tank,

if you want to play it safe, just refil at 1/4 tank or more every time.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:33 PM   #26 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
Just wanted to say that I to like Mustangs; not for their engineering, or their looks, but for what they are. I like renting a V6 mustang every now an then they just feel good to drive.

And guys remember that the majority of mustangs sold ARE v6 they were and still are a young adults car, low initial cost and low insurance are KEY for this market segment.

My advise for Improved MPG

1) SGII Watch it; and you will learn quickly (ALso setup a trip mpg xgauge)
2) at least consider replacing the factory air box
3) Pump tires up to max sidewall
4) consider blocking some of that lower grill.
5) Don't worry about it to much; if you wanted great MPG you would drive a metro, don't worry about enjoying the car every now and then (in moderation).
Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon
Old 07-14-2008, 04:51 PM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryn View Post
i would just get the scan gauge.

if you are keeping track of mpg with your odometer you should have a pretty good idea how many miles you have left before you run dry.

as you become more effecient, you will get a better feel for your car. unless you develope serius engine problems eg. bad O2 sensor. your mpg should be pretty consistant with a trend twards more miles per tank,

if you want to play it safe, just refil at 1/4 tank or more every time.
I'm not sure if it does, but it is fairly new so i would guess that it does have a low fuel light. I know I have about 5Gals of gas left at around 230-240Miles traveled. But if My MPG's do go up which they seem to be doing with a little tweaking of my habbits then it's going to get more complicated. Can a scanGauge II track FUEL USED??? Then I won't have to fix the stupid sending unit, but doesn't a bad sending unit mean the fuel pump is going to die soon? It happened to my friend but in reverse it would tell him he had more gas than actually did. I'll go and ask the dealer if it is messed up or not, besides my car needs a tune-up and an oil change soon so I might as well ask them. I really am not sure what to do If i want to return these products, the ethos and Tornado? Do I just email them and they put the money back in my account or do the send a check. If it's check I'd rather just keep the junk at least I have something. I've been ripped of $1k from online giant Amazon.com they are real jerks when it comes to getting money back.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:10 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryn View Post
It knows it's low on gas from the sending unit.

When your car starts loosing power, give it the beans and get enough speed. Better to coast as long as you can before you have to push.

The sending unit and pump are not directly related to one another as far as failure. How many miles are on the odometer? It becomes vary obvious if the pump was starting to go, as in a total lack of power, and a car that runs very poorly.

Last edited by texanidiot25; 07-14-2008 at 05:17 PM..
Old 07-14-2008, 05:38 PM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanidiot25 View Post
It knows it's low on gas from the sending unit.

When your car starts loosing power, give it the beans and get enough speed. Better to coast as long as you can before you have to push.

The sending unit and pump are not directly related to one another as far as failure. How many miles are on the odometer? It becomes vary obvious if the pump was starting to go, as in a total lack of power, and a car that runs very poorly.
The car has been feeling like it is losing power as in acceleration a bit. But I am just going to probably take it to my local mechanic to see how much it will cost to check the sending unit and the pump just to be sure. But IDK maybe if I find anything else wrong the car is going to have to sit for awhile.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
aerodynamics, mpg