Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2010, 07:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Wiki Writer

bugler - '91 Mazda 626
90 day: 35.89 mpg (US)
Alternator disable switch by disabling the field

Hi All,
The next mod on my list is the alternator disable switch. I can easily turn off the output of the alternator just using a relay however there are advantages to just turning off the excitation field.
I attempted this by trying to isolate the field wire that goes into my alternator. So i cut a wire, ran the engine and no success, the voltage on the battery actually went up. So I was a bit confused then after a bit of research i realized this is likely a feedback wire which tells the alternator what voltage the battery is at so that the alternator can alter the excitation field to increase or decrease the charging rate.

I then reconnected this wire and cut another wire, but found the same issue, this may or maynot be the return wire for the voltage sensing.

The only wire left that i can see is the output wire, the positive that goes to the battery to charge it.

Other forum threads have suggested some cars have a dedicated field enable /disable signal however from what i can see so far mine may not have this.

So a question to anyone that knows about disabling the field of an alternator. Is there any way i can interrupt the field without actually opening up the alternator and isolating one of the excitation field brushes.

Thanks

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-13-2010, 09:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
It is very possible that your alternator is self exciting, as is mine (only one thin wire, disconnecting which doesn't do anything). AXMonster started a great thread (Automatic alternator cut out/regen braking), where got down and dirty with his internal field alternator, but it appears that rewiring the diodes inside wasn't enough It's worth a read, though, and your alt might have a slightly better (= easier to hack) design.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
The Following User Says Thank You to Piwoslaw For This Useful Post:
saand (12-13-2010)
Reply  Post New Thread