Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Alternative Transportation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2015, 04:57 PM   #21 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
FWIW, bicycle riders are merely slow-speed motorcycle riders...both equally loved/hated for the daredevil darting antics...ie: "...guess where I'm heading next..."

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-09-2015, 05:02 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

This has been a major issue in the US for decades. What it boils down to is that bikes are vehicles that can be used safely on most highways except limited access expressways and the Interstate system. Whether the local laws require it or not lights, reflectors, a loud horn, mirrors, and a helmet are what I recommend as a rider for the last 55 years. If the police are ignorant of the laws you may politely show a printed copy of the current statutes. Rather than give the one fingered saluted I may pretend to cover my face with my hands. Smile and wave with some remark in a foreign language such as "Your sister's burro has very fine fur." If threatened, a camera on your phone can be handy to document faces and license plates. I ride the way I would drive, I use every opportunity act in a responsible manner. This means watching drivers' eyes and car wheels. I anticipate the moves of others and use hand signals to blend with traffic. I try to be a good ambassador for sharing the roads.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:54 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
I feel similarly to you on many things (although I am quite... "passionate"), and I watch what people are doing (although they're hard to predict)... but when someone tries to kill me, whether I'm on a bike or driving my truck, I take that as a personal offense.

Carrying a copy of the statute is a good suggestion; when I had two cars and collector plates I used to carry the statute allowing my original 1965 plate. It ended up being a non-issue. Most of these things are. But it's always that one time, right?

The camera... that would be nice to have. GM puts PICpatch labels over our phone lenses, so it's hard to whip out the camera at a moment's notice.

FWIW, my girlfriend does tech support for police at the moment and she has asked about bikes... the answer was that officers are very unlikely to pull over a cyclist in Michigan. The reason? It's hard to pin them on something, and if you do, you can't take away their driver's license! I'm not advocating dangerous behavior, but when cycling laws don't make any sense, I seldom worry about it any more.

Last edited by Sven7; 10-09-2015 at 09:00 PM..
Old 10-10-2015, 10:04 AM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A 200 lbs bike and rider combo at 10 mph is not likely to be a threat to life and property of the community. We are 'portable esses' for the racer wannabes on the highway.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:56 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Would you believe that wearing inline roller skates makes you a vehicle operator on the road here in NYS? I shook my head when I read that statute.

The Following User Says Thank You to Grant-53 For This Useful Post:
Sven7 (10-21-2015)
Reply  Post New Thread