Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aerocivic - '92 Honda Civic CX
Last 3: 70.54 mpg (US)

AerocivicLB - '92 Honda Civic CX
Team Honda
90 day: 55.14 mpg (US)

Camryglide - '20 Toyota Camry hybrid LE
90 day: 62.77 mpg (US)
Exterior side mirrors are also responsible for a lot of the wind noise you are hearing since they creat a lot of turbulent air flow on the outside of the glass right next to your ear. Moving my side mirrors to the inside made a noticeable reduction in wind noise.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #22 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
kach22i -

Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
On many aircraft (like jet fighters), the mirrors are inside of the canopy, but I thought that was illegal on cars. At least on the driver's side.

I think it depends on which state you are in, but that's why I have a small motorcycle mirror on the driver's side in California. I actually like it that way.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 07-04-2012, 05:40 PM   #23 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan5895 View Post
Well, if aerohead's numbers from his article are correct, even at todays fuel prices you would only save about $40 over the entire life of your vehicle.

I had it typed up all nice and then it got deleted....

So, basically save your time, effort, and the appearance of your vehicle and leave your side mirrors attached.
Not quite. That was 7 cents/1000 miles from unaerodynamic mirrors on unaerodynamic cars. If we can make the stretch from that to aerodynamic mirrors on aerodynamic cars having the identical drag costs, then 7 cents/1000 miles in the days of 25 cent/gallon gas equals $1/1000 miles in today's $4/gallon economy. $1 every 1000 miles is $150 over the lifetime of my vehicle.

I researched side mirror requirements in the western states I drive in. CA, NV, AZ, NM, & TX only require one rear view mirror and one side mounted mirror giving a view 200' to the rear. None of them state that side mirror has to be mounted outside the car.

CA & one or two of the others have outside mirror requirements if the view back through the rear window is blocked by anything except passengers.

Some states, like NC, clearly do have outside side mirror requirements. Caveat ecomodder.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg

Last edited by SentraSE-R; 07-04-2012 at 05:51 PM..
Old 07-04-2012, 07:21 PM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

You might have calculated it based on percentage.. But even if not, $150 is MAYBE 3-4 tanks of gas, over the ENTIRE life of the vehicle....

And it wouldn't take long at all for a lawyer to prove that it is infact, illegal to have the side mirrors inside the vehicle... So, basically, one prick cop writing you a ticket for that would completely eliminate any savings.....
Old 07-04-2012, 08:36 PM   #25 (permalink)
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
I found the article.It's from 1962.
Ford claimed that the outside rear view mirror increased fuel consumption by 0.05 mpg.It's drag was 1-lb at 65 mph,and over 1,000 miles would cost an additional 7-cents in fuel.
yep! my memory sucks!
Another more recent study was on the Audi A2 (described in this thread: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...-cd-21175.html). Sounds like drag reduction by removing mirrors was 5%, which is not too bad considering a full belly pan reduced drag by 7%.
The Following User Says Thank You to NachtRitter For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-05-2012)
Old 07-05-2012, 04:34 AM   #26 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan5895 View Post
And it wouldn't take long at all for a lawyer to prove that it is infact, illegal to have the side mirrors inside the vehicle... So, basically, one prick cop writing you a ticket for that would completely eliminate any savings.....
Wrong. My job was to enforce the law. If the law only requires a side-mounted mirror giving a view to the rear for 200', and an officer cites me for not having an outside-mounted mirror, I'll win one of two ways.

Any judge will toss the case out if an officer cites me for violating a law or regulation that doesn't exist. If he doesn't, he'll be overruled on appeal, and will be hammered by the appeals court.

If the officer cites me for not having a side-mounted mirror giving a view to the rear for 200', all I have to do is prove my inside mounted mirror gives a view to the rear for 200'. I'll park outside the courthouse, measure off 200', take a picture of the six cars behind me and the flagpole behind them, and bring it into court. I can't lose if I meet the requirement of the law.

Here are the side mirror laws by state. California's law says

Quote:
California Vehicle Code, Section 26709.

(a) Every motor vehicle registered in a foreign jurisdiction and every motorcycle subject to registration in this state shall be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle.

Every motor vehicle subject to registration in this state, except a motorcycle, shall be equipped with not less than two such mirrors, including one affixed to the left-hand side.

(b) The following described types of motor vehicles, of a type subject to registration, shall be equipped with mirrors on both the left-and right-hand sides of the vehicle so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway through each mirror for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle:

(1) A motor vehicle so constructed or loaded as to obstruct the driver's view to the rear.

(2) A motor vehicle towing a vehicle and the towed vehicle or load thereon obstructs the driver's view to the rear.

(3) A bus or trolley coach.

(c) The provisions of subdivision (b) shall not apply to a passenger vehicle when the load obstructing the driver's view consists of passengers. Amended Ch. 74, Stats. 1970. Effective November 23, 1970.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
Old 07-05-2012, 08:06 AM   #27 (permalink)
Drive less save more

Dusty - '98 VOLKSWAGEN Beetle TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 60.42 mpg (US)
Your interior mirror is taking up the slack plus some.
I think if you showed a police officer the added mirror he would deduce that you are safety conscious and have adequate rear view mirrors.
Never hurts to be pleasant either, to seal the deal.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:10 PM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Where did You get that Rear view Mirror? I Am looking for a rear view mirror that Has all of those different angles. I tried a Convex Mirrow, But I can't get use to them. I'm trying to delete my Side mirrors. but Haven't come up with a solution to give me the same side view mirror benefit.

I also like being able to see the driver from my driver side mirror. I tried doing it on the inside. But the angle being on the inside just doesn't work.

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2012, 04:40 PM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meaaloha View Post
Where did You get that Rear view Mirror? I Am looking for a rear view mirror that Has all of those different angles. I tried a Convex Mirrow, But I can't get use to them. I'm trying to delete my Side mirrors. but Haven't come up with a solution to give me the same side view mirror benefit.

I also like being able to see the driver from my driver side mirror. I tried doing it on the inside. But the angle being on the inside just doesn't work.

Thanks!
Search Ebay for "wide angle mirror"

New Speedway Motors Universal Wide Angle 5 Panel Rear View Mirror 35" Wide | eBay
Old 12-02-2012, 08:17 AM   #30 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Maybe "smaller" outside rearview mirrors, IMO, and somethng like these (and/or wide-angle overhead rearview):

Autobahn side view convex

I recently increased the size of the mirrors on my truck. Having a larger field-of-view at a distance (behind travel trailer, rear bumper of which is nearly 60' back from driver) means better gauging of who/what is coming on behind me. Best FE is mainly about being lane-centered under all conditions . . so the information provided by mirrors has much to do with the time & extent of driver energetic inputs to the vehicle. The fewer and the lighter, the better.

And not just when towing.

Reply  Post New Thread