Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2014, 02:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Blueberry Yaris - '09 Toyota Yaris Base 2-door Hatchback 1.5L Automatic
90 day: 31.61 mpg (US)
Interior Side View Mirror Option

I'm considering deleting both my side view mirrors, but I like having a mirror on each side. I've been looking up options for mounting mirrors on the inside, and I want it to look nice without having to tear up any part of my interior. By the way, this is where I would like the mirror on each side (not my car, but mostly the same interior):

At first I was thinking I could get a mirror with a suction cup and swivel, because there is a piece of glass right there that is separate from the window. The only suction mirrors I could find were "baby mirrors" with horrible reviews.

Then I thought about buying a universal suction mount for iPods/iPads and mount a mirror to it. While I was browsing for such a thing, I came across this on amazon and ebay:

Search amazon or ebay for "Fouring BL Car Wide Angle Rear View Multi Blind Spot Mirror 3M VHB Tape."

I thought something like this might be perfect, because I won't have to worry about a suction mount falling off the glass.

The only thing that makes me hesitate is the fact that it's a blind spot mirror, and I'm not sure how good the view would be. I do normally use my side view mirrors as blind spot mirrors anyway, but they aren't concave and don't distort the view.

Is this a good idea? Bad idea? Are there better options? Any thoughts and ideas would be appreciated.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-07-2014, 02:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Dirty330 Modder

CruzeRS - '15 Chevy Cruze LT RS
90 day: 41.29 mpg (US)
as far as better options
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...vex-26719.html

theres a couple different setups in here

keep in mind with interior "mirrors" the view will never be as good as an exterior mirror, but it can be good enough

"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing."
- Henry Ford
Old 03-07-2014, 02:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Blueberry Yaris - '09 Toyota Yaris Base 2-door Hatchback 1.5L Automatic
90 day: 31.61 mpg (US)
Just had another thought.

What about getting a couple of replacement mirror glass and mounting them to a universal iPad/tablet mount and using double sided tape? That seems like it would give me the same setup as the item that's pictured, but it would use the same type of mirror as my originals. Hm...
Old 03-07-2014, 06:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

What i did, don't have pictures. 1 large convex mirror from Walmart, a hose clamp bracket. Take off the interior triangle which holds bolts for the side mirror. Wing nut the hose bracket to the existing bolts used to hold the mirror. Wing nut the Mirror to the bracket by drilling a hole in the back.

It works great on the drivers side, but on the passenger side it's poor. Passenger side mirrors should be flat or a little concave like stock. The convex mirror on the passenger side makes everything look to small.

The only problem i have is it blocks the vents on the doors that defrost the windows. I get uneven fog lines on the roll down side windows.

I wouldn't consider tape or glue. Bolting is best. Closing your door will knock the mirrors out of alignment if taped or glue. Suction to the windshield is good if you can find a long enough phone holder device.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Oh, i see you have glass where the side window covers are. I'd suggest suction cups to those areas or else some adhesive to the window.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
I would probably attach the mirrors to the A pillar, rather than the door or glass.

Just my view, but I like it to be as out of the way as possible, and I would want to maximize that luxury of glass there.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
The Dirty330 Modder

as a general community i would say stray away from suction cup mounting, my UG windshield mount hasn't been mounted since october due to the cold. But considering he is in a warmer climate id say still avoid it on the doors cuz vibrations will blow the seal out on the suction cup.

- Henry Ford
Old 03-08-2014, 10:36 AM   #8 (permalink)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,801 Times in 938 Posts
The same company makes mirrors that attach to the A pillars, although the reviews indicate they don't fit a lot of cars. I'd still be wary of using these or similar mirrors, as those swivel joints will tend to loosen over time and the mirror will droop as you drive. My last car, I had to remedy this by fiberglassing the mirrors to their mounts once I had them adjusted correctly.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
The Dirty330 Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman455 View Post
The same company makes mirrors that attach to the A pillars, although the reviews indicate they don't fit a lot of cars. I'd still be wary of using these or similar mirrors, as those swivel joints will tend to loosen over time and the mirror will droop as you drive. My last car, I had to remedy this by fiberglassing the mirrors to their mounts once I had them adjusted correctly.
They do loosen i have the A pillar ones and every bump i hit they swivel on an arched movement so every time they swivel the weight brings them back into place

- Henry Ford
Reply  Post New Thread