Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2022, 02:11 PM   #21 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
I see NBC will be broadcasting the Olympics. I've got Plex scheduled to record OTA and cut out commercials.

This is a special olympics from what I've heard because we'll have the opportunity to watch women with male genetics crush women's competition. Next summer olympics I'll get a Cheetah to identify as an adult male human and win every sprint.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-24-2022, 03:49 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
Really - this is the Olympics to boycott?
You left out 1936.

My old sig line quoted Sadhguru: Yesterday isn't good or bad, it's gone.

Old 01-24-2022, 03:51 PM   #23 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I see NBC will be broadcasting the Olympics. I've got Plex scheduled to record OTA and cut out commercials.

This is a special olympics from what I've heard because we'll have the opportunity to watch women with male genetics crush women's competition. Next summer olympics I'll get a Cheetah to identify as an adult male human and win every sprint.
Similar to male wrestlers getting to beat up women do to physical appearance and belief systems.

My view is the solution is to have mixed Olympics with ratings by strength, size etc to put ifolks nto classifications based on strength, endurance, skill and ability,
Would likely create rage but if we want to mix everyone together might as well bank on it full hog

If your overpowered in a class you get bumped into the next, gender doesn’t matter but likely have lots of folks of a particular gender in certain classes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6109B23D-4FEA-4218-BE53-18F161CED232.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	31613  
Old 01-24-2022, 04:27 PM   #24 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,051 Times in 1,385 Posts
Quote:
That is still a horrible way to watch the Olympics (in my opinion). Not only do they skip from one event to another and back like someone with ADHD flipping channels but they also waste so much time on "let's meet the athletes" filler when they are already only broadcasting a small fraction of the actual action and very little of the most interesting events (to me).

I just stream the actual event - start to finish. Biathlon is my winter sport of choice. I also like cross-country, alpine skiing, and speed skating. Snow cross is one of the better new-ish winter sports.

I don't watch anything decided by scores from a panel of judges.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (01-24-2022)
Old 01-24-2022, 05:07 PM   #25 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
My view is the solution is to have mixed Olympics with ratings by strength, size etc to put ifolks nto classifications based on strength, endurance, skill and ability
Olympics is to determine the best male and female athletes in their respective sports/events. If people are lumped into a single category, then we would never see a woman doing shot put, for instance. It would become like the NFL, where there's no regulation preventing women from competing, but none make the team (and probably don't try) so we never see them.

Why not just get rid of representing countries while we're at it too, and everyone can participate, and all participants get a milk chocolate metal. No measurements will be taken to evaluate performance, because the point isn't to compete, but to have an enjoyable time.

Old 01-24-2022, 07:40 PM   #26 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Olympics is to determine the best male and female athletes in their respective sports/events. If people are lumped into a single category]
That’s exactly the opposite of what I said

I said to classify folks like wrestling where you may have A-Z ratings, weight and everything else batching you with like members . AKA don’t rank everyone out.
, it will just happen we choose which of those ratings you would cover on TV.
Ignore the male subsets just above where the strongest most able women subsets occur and voila.

More complex and time consuming but that seems to be what we want for some reason.

The strongest women may get grouped in with meh men in the C grade at a specific weight
but those men won’t have any advantage if we measure and classify properly.

Since we seem to lack any ability to say yeah no dude look like a lady with genetic ladies
specing the dude look like a lady to where he falls in strength, size, endurance and stature amongst everyone else should put him in a separate class from the women and it will remove the 52 gender BS from creating competitive advantages to gender swapping.

Men and women have 2 upside down bell curves that have a small overlap, simple testing prior for qualification should keep the vast majority of men and women of competitive stature in separate buckets.
If dude look like a lady lacks endurance, dimensions and strength to legitimately fall into a female letter classification he shouldn’t have an advantage, if he classes out he will be a “wo-man” competing with the other dudes.

You can tell me I’m wrong but I guarantee once you go down the path we’re on outside some sort of societal failure you can never go back for some reason.

So I guess enjoy watching dudes beat up ladies unless you can offer an answer caitored for the PC police they will accept and implement

I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Last edited by rmay635703; 01-24-2022 at 07:50 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
Piotrsko (01-25-2022)
Old 01-24-2022, 11:36 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
You can tell me I’m wrong but I guarantee once you go down the path we’re on outside some sort of societal failure you can never go back for some reason.
Your's is the same position as Scott Adams, weight as a gating factor.

The question of how you extricate society from a corkscrew tail spin is a good one. Probably beyond the scope of The Lounge.

Old 01-25-2022, 10:51 AM   #28 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,103 Times in 973 Posts
I have seen women compete on equal standing with men in Scottish games and winning.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:52 AM   #29 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Your's is the same position as Scott Adams, weight as a gating factor.
Scott's best episode ever was about a year ago and was on the topic of fairness. He really took the time to prepare the listener to considering things from a perspective they haven't before. He had even been seeding responses for the weeks leading up to the episode by saying unpopular opinions. That said, his conclusion about sports is dumb and ruins it for everyone, especially women.

Categorizing by weight isn't good enough, because how that weight is comprised is what gives the advantages in various sports. So then we might add a criteria of body fat percentage into creating the categories... and then we're back to sorting based on sex, which is the most basic and natural category ever created. Everything beyond sex is abstracting out from it in increasingly less precise methods.

My brilliant idea is to not break the things that work fantastically, and call dumb ideas out for the garbage they are. Discontents should go break their own toys instead of trying to break everyone else's in the futile attempt to feel better. *Discontents don't realize the source of their discontentment is their fundamental disposition, not whatever circumstances they decide to project it onto. They somehow fool themselves continually into believing there is a state of the world that would satisfy them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
I have seen women compete on equal standing with men in Scottish games and winning.
That's a convincing anecdote. Not sure what I'm convinced of though.

Last edited by redpoint5; 01-25-2022 at 12:40 PM..
Old 01-25-2022, 12:30 PM   #30 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,103 Times in 973 Posts
No need to be convinced. Just a personal anecdote

So for what I have seen, testosterone seems to be the deciding factor everything else being equal. So hormone negation / enhancement, classes based on levels and BMI.

redpoint5 (01-25-2022), rmay635703 (01-25-2022)
Reply  Post New Thread