Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2008, 04:20 PM   #91 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

98 Cherokee - '98 Jeep Cherokee
90 day: 17.18 mpg (US)

ZX7R Ninja - '99 Kawasaki ZX7R Ninja
90 day: 42.45 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoove View Post
You are very thorough - nice work! Have you seen any improvement yet?
I haven't had time to take it out on the highway yet. But I have noticed it rolls a little farther in town then it use too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoove View Post
Also, would your axle deflectors be of any benefit to the rear axle or maybe even the trans cross-member? Or are you just systematically working your way back?
I'm working my way back. So far I think I've covered most of the bases from the front axle forward. Been looking farther down and haven't decided how it's going to go (not a fan of drilling holes, Haven't so far). I plan on doing similar setups for the rear axle and cross member. And if I can I would like to do a full pan across the middle (Haven't decided how I'm going to mount it yet).

Adjusted for my driving habits. 80%city/20%Highway.
20mpg city/30mpg highway or bust! Check out my mods so far
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-29-2008, 02:07 PM   #92 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ok so I took the Jeep down to Des Moines the other day (about 100miles round trip). I felt like something was holding it back a bit. The trip down doing 55mph I just barely hit 25mpg. I was looking at the setup for the mechanical fan which is located in the middle. I recently added the center grill block again. Could I be limiting the air flow to the fan enough that it's working harder then normal? I also noticed the gas mileage was slightly better a few MPH faster (more air flow?). I plan on doing some testing this weekend.

Am I crazy thinking this could be the problem?

Old 08-29-2008, 03:32 PM   #93 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Taurus - '99 Ford Taurus SE
90 day: 17.89 mpg (US)

Windstar1 - '97 Ford Windstar Cargo
90 day: 16.99 mpg (US)

Vulcan - '97 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
90 day: 45.96 mpg (US)

Suzuki - '09 Suzuki SX4 Technology AWD
90 day: 24.62 mpg (US)
i dont see how a grill block will cause the mechanical fan to work harder. it's tied into the belt system, so as the engine revs faster, the fan turns faster. if you dont mind a very involved modding, what you can do is replace the mechanical fan with an electric one from a Taurus/Sable. there's a post on that somewhere here. it wont be automatic, so you have to turn it on manually, or have settings which you will self adjust.

to your drag issue, could it be that your aero mods are causing more drag?

its kinda odd, ive been feeling alot of struggle on the highway on my windstar. i dont know why but it seems i get worse mileage then i do in the city. also my cars have multiple drivers and i am the more hypermiller of the rest.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:58 PM   #94 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I guess the reason I'm wondering if it's the problem is when you block a fans intake doesn't the fan have to work harder to move the same amount of air? I tried placing a piece of card board behind a box fan and it sounds like the fan slows down/works harder. I heard somewhere that you can burn out a box fan if it tips over and can't get the air flow it needs. Would that not mean that the extra energy needed would be directly transfered to the engine?

Old 08-30-2008, 04:01 PM   #95 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
fan drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastPlastic View Post
I guess the reason I'm wondering if it's the problem is when you block a fans intake doesn't the fan have to work harder to move the same amount of air? I tried placing a piece of card board behind a box fan and it sounds like the fan slows down/works harder. I heard somewhere that you can burn out a box fan if it tips over and can't get the air flow it needs. Would that not mean that the extra energy needed would be directly transfered to the engine?
With the T-100,I was very careful with the grille block with respect to the fan clutch.I actually drilled and saber sawed away the section of bumper directly in front of the fan/drive,so I would guarantee air flow over that clutch.If she gets hot,she'll lock up.and you'll have all that extra fan drag the clutch was supposed to eliminate! That cost the Pinto a full mpg at 70-mph.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:47 PM   #96 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ok I'm starting to look at the under body past the front axle. I'm looking for some opinions from those that know more about aerodynamic drag forces. Just past the axle there are several pieces hanging down. The exhaust takes a quick turn towards the passenger side. Plus the front drive shaft hangs down on the driver side. I can clear the exhaust if I start at the level of the cross brace around the middle of the jeep. But the suspension prevents me from getting closer then about 1 to 1-1/2feet from the front axle. If I just do a strait panel the air would flow over the panel rather then under. Would it create too much drag if I curved the panel up in front of the exhaust? I would still need to cut an opening for the drive shaft to clear.

The goal would be to continue the panel all the way back to the rear axle so it would cover over a lot of stuff sticking out.

I appreciate all the help I can get!
Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep Underbody Down Stream Test.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	1652  

Old 09-02-2008, 05:02 PM   #97 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Your illustration looks real good! With the upswept radiused leading edge,the flow should transition right onto the new panel just like the flow illustrator depicts.I'd go for it.If the driveshaft requires a lot of vertical articulation that might strike the panel,you could break it into two separate pans without losing much to drag.Your work looks great,look forward to your next installment!
Old 09-02-2008, 05:13 PM   #98 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Your illustration looks real good! With the upswept radiused leading edge,the flow should transition right onto the new panel just like the flow illustrator depicts.I'd go for it.If the driveshaft requires a lot of vertical articulation that might strike the panel,you could break it into two separate pans without losing much to drag.Your work looks great,look forward to your next installment!
Just the man I was looking for. Thanks for the help!

I jacked the car up a ways and the drive shaft won't give me problems with the height I'm looking at. Just have to cut out a U for the shaft to bounce in. Plus my design is going to mount with hooks on the back and two bolts on the front. So it should take 2min to take off for repairs. All without drilling any holes!

Phil

Last edited by FastPlastic; 09-02-2008 at 05:18 PM..
Old 09-02-2008, 05:57 PM   #99 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

That's the best news,'cause you pick up a fraction more efficiency not having the split pan.Easy on/off a big plus also.Look forward to new pics as progress develops.I think you're teaching a lot of the members clean fabrication techniques,and will probably never realize how many will benefit from your careful work.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:39 AM   #100 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Taurus - '99 Ford Taurus SE
90 day: 17.89 mpg (US)

Windstar1 - '97 Ford Windstar Cargo
90 day: 16.99 mpg (US)

Vulcan - '97 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
90 day: 45.96 mpg (US)

Suzuki - '09 Suzuki SX4 Technology AWD
90 day: 24.62 mpg (US)
yea i was gonna say, jack the body all the way so the shaft and axles are at the max
im curious, how strong can velcro get? because im wondering if i can make body panels that attach with velcro.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
low pressure kills mpg's