Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2011, 11:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

no nickname , it's just a car - '04 volkswagen golf tdi
leaf blower plus roller skates > solar panals on motorcycle

when i was younger ,
i put on my roller skates and got out my new leaf blower , got out in the street and fired up the leaf blower , facing backwards , i was facing forward and the leaf blower was facing backwards and
there was not enough thrust from the leaf blower to over come the drag of the rollerskates with my weight on them ...

it did'nt work - made some noise - caused my neighbors to talk some between themselves .

it seemed like a good idea at the time
this idea ... is not quite as sound as was my idea .

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-01-2011, 12:04 AM   #12 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebb View Post
this idea ... is not quite as sound as was my idea .
Haha!! Why? Seems that if there is enough power the idea would work fairly well. Here is a 100W version of the panel previously listed. It would fit on a compact car's roof. It is very thin (aero) and 100W would be a significant aid to the alternator, no? If you had the alternator on a clutch or a kill switch, you might use this for part of the time, no? It might be prohibitively pricey from a cost/benefit perspective, but it would work, no?

http://cgi.ebay.com/100w-12v-Semifle...item3cb72c9d7b
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Gabi, did you end up buying a pair?
not yet,
still thinking where the best placement/combination would be,
the vendor also makes to order
Old 05-03-2011, 10:30 AM   #14 (permalink)
Making Ecomods a G thing

Angie - '08 Infiniti G35 X
90 day: 22.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Haha!! Why? Seems that if there is enough power the idea would work fairly well. Here is a 100W version of the panel previously listed. It would fit on a compact car's roof. It is very thin (aero) and 100W would be a significant aid to the alternator, no? If you had the alternator on a clutch or a kill switch, you might use this for part of the time, no? It might be prohibitively pricey from a cost/benefit perspective, but it would work, no?

100w 12v,Semiflex solar panel,thin 2.5mm,Waterproof ! | eBay
in theory it is a good plan, but something you need to think about is how they rate the panels, most are rated with the panels aimed directly at the sun, so unless it's high noon and you're somewhere in the tropics you likely won't get the rated output. also, most have a negative tolerance rating of around 10%, meaning the the rated output is correct +/-10% (90-110 Watts in this case) and this is also tested in direct sunlight and accounts for various atmospheric variables. when you factor in the aspect of likely not having direct sunlight you would probably only get 50-60 Watts out of one of those 100W panels, on an average sunny day, and significantly less on a cloudy one. now that will give you around 4-4.5 Amps while connected to your vehicle. if you could fit 3 of those on your roof you might actually make a substantial difference, but the ROI would be slow.

Reply  Post New Thread