Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2009, 07:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Relevance is irrelevant!

CR-EX - '12 Honda CR-Z EX
Send a message via Yahoo to bluetwo
Just simply: autostop...

I've been kicking this idea around for a while: it's not complicated but still might be impossible.

What if you could modify your car to use only electric accessories, autostop at your whim and start right back up as nicely as the hybrids do? Most people think of this concept as great because you could force autostop or pulse and glide in some situations to help FE without all the weight of an actual hybrid system.

I know I'm FAR from being the first to think about something like this but I think I figured it out, theoretically.

You would need a big electric motor like in the Honda IMA system, and for that matter perhaps the IMA itself could work with the right modifications. So lets say you had a slightly older Honda Civic and you found an IMA "transmission" and were able to modify it to fit any one of many Civic engines.

Forget about the Honda battery pack though. You'd want to use some smaller batteries, deep cycle presumably? They could be put in the trunk or wherever. ...besides you'd only be using that motor to crank the engine all the time not propel the vehicle, which is why it would have to be extensively modified by someone who knows what to do.

I know it's all just daydreaming at first but what if: seriously? Maybe there is a much better way to do it, more efficiently? I dream of being able to roll to a stoplight or down a big hill getting infinite MPG for a few moments all the while having brakes, power steering and perhaps not the air conditioning but at least the fan which is ok for a few moments.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-14-2009, 07:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
bluetwo -

I think you are arguing for a DIY version of one component of a "mild hybrid". I do know that there has been research in BMW (right?) to have an autostop feature. I can't remember the details ... googling ... Ahhh, here it is :

BMW EfficientDynamics : Auto Start Stop function
Quote:
Auto Start Stop function.

A clever way to save fuel: the Auto Start Stop function turns off the engine each time the vehicle comes to a complete halt - such as at traffic lights - and restarts it automatically. A reduction in fuel consumption is the result.

The principle is simple: if the engine is not running, it cannot consume fuel. The Auto Start Stop function turns off the engine whenever it is not needed. In a traffic jam or in stop-and-go traffic, simply putting your BMW into neutral and taking your foot from the clutch will activate the function. "Start Stop" on the Info Display signals that the engine has been turned off.
To set off again, just put your BMW back into gear: the moment you depress the clutch, the engine immediately springs back to life and you can drive on without a moment's delay.
Driving comfort and driving safety are not affected by the Auto Start Stop function. The function is not activated, for example, until the engine has reached the ideal running temperature. The same applies if the air conditioner has not yet brought the cabin to the desired temperature, if the battery is not adequately charged or if the driver moves the steering wheel.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 08-14-2009, 07:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Relevance is irrelevant!

^^ Right, that's really cool too. I mean I don't see why new vehicles wouldn't have it, as long as they are designed to stop/start that often it shouldn't put an unnecessary drag or wear and tear on anything.

But we can't just start stop a vehicle that isn't made to do it because that could wear out the starter really quick, compared to how long it's supposed to last and replacing a starter is a cost no one wants. There's also the issue of the engine accessory restarting or resetting completely and that's annoying if not dangerous while rolling down the road.

So really I'm just thinking about just what you'd have to do to get your 10 year old car to do it without hurting anything. There's a LOT of smart people on this board and surely someone can come up with it. I'm not anywhere near as skilled as some people here are so somebody think about it and post it up! ...or not, whichever.

Maybe the solution could be using a bigger more powerful starter and adding a small car battery in the trunk if you really need more amps or voltage, however you measure it. Seems like there has to be a way to mod it.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Replace the A/C pump with a small motor, use a toothed belt. Done.

I have a proprietary idea for a magnetic torque transfer mechanism that would replace clutches in manual transmissions, that could simiarly be used for this, but only while the vehicle is in motion. (Like pop starting, but without the "pop".)

Old 08-15-2009, 12:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post113190

Here's yer mag clutch

Old 08-15-2009, 12:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

Not quite.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
My thought it to belt in an Etek where the alternator is and put in 48-72V of batteries. You get regen on long downhills, instant starts and mild hybrid boost for fairly cheap. Throw in a DC/DC and you won't even miss the alternator.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Relevance is irrelevant!

So my oversized starter idea doesn't sound too great to you guys huh?

Wouldn't a bigger and more robust starter live longer while starting a lot more often BECAUSE it's not working so hard starting a smaller engine?

I don't understand replacing the A/C pump with a small motor... are you talking air conditioning? Alternating current doesn't seem to fit with the work pump! Ha ha.

I've seen threads about converting things like a power steering pump to an electric engine and it was far too complicated for someone who doesn't have a shop or even a garage to work in.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

I guess I could have been a little more clear about that.

If you don't use your A/C, you can remove the pump and replace it with a small e-motor and a toothed belt to use as a non-starter. It's actually going to drive the engine, rather than just start it, but then it goes into freewheel mode when you stop applying power. You could also replace the alternator with something similar, so that you're still able to get a charge with less circuitry and added complexity.

Either option allows you to remove the starter altogether, since it won't be necessary anymore. The problem with this is that: Bigger e-motor makes a smoother start, to an extent.

Basically, you have to figure out how many HP it would take to turn your engine over, AND drive you up to, say, 3MPH in first gear, where your engine would be idling with the clutch out. That's the LEAST size motor you need to do this effectively. The next thing to do would be just to block the IACV and make sure the throttle plate on the intake can seal the opening, so that when you're completely off the throttle, it chokes the engine out completely, so it'll "stall" smoothly, rather than try to keep itself running.

Ideally, you'd also cut fuel and spark after a certain RPM, and not allow either until you've reached a certain RPM (like 400).

Basically, what you'd end up with there is Honda's hybrid system, except belt driven instead of integrated. It would be BDMA, not IMA.

The first step of pedal travel would have to actuate the contactor for the e-motor to restart the engine, so that it would transition smoothly from e-motor to gasser as you got past the (5% of travel?) E-motor part. If for some reason you wanted to keep the engine idling, you'd just have to keep your foot on the throttle just past where the e-motor is engaged.

A one-way switch design would be best, where you're only engaging the e-motor if you're going from 0 throttle, and not if you're coming off the throttle, not that you'd really notice a 3-5 HP increase.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aerocivic - '92 Honda Civic CX
Last 3: 70.54 mpg (US)

AerocivicLB - '92 Honda Civic CX
Team Honda
90 day: 55.14 mpg (US)

Camryglide - '20 Toyota Camry hybrid LE
90 day: 62.77 mpg (US)
For continuous vacuum for the power brakes, just pull a vacuum pump and accumulator from a junked diesel car.