Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #21 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
Yepp. I found them a bit before they were on Top Gear, and after seeing how impressive it was then, it's always been, in my opinion, the true epitome of a supercar company. I think of Porsche 30 years ago and how easy it was to go from having fun, to killing yourself in a car. It makes me think of that simplicity taken to an entire new level. And like you said, the engine technology- when they replaced the Ford engine they were using in the CCX to the new engine, and it's performance differences between petrol or biofuel.

I also think its amusing, their top speeds. What is it? "Oh, it goes past 240. " Well, how much faster? "We didn't bother checking the max, but it goes that fast."

(Not direct quotes, but from what I read, thats how the conversation goes )
Typical for a car with a whole lot of power, it's not built for top speed but acceleration. I have a track car with double the factory hp, enough to top out over 150mph, but I will never take it there as too many other things that will go wrong.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-29-2013, 08:31 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
It's not really just the lack of a cam shaft that will make this technology impressive. It is the fact that the valve timing and duration is completely under infinite computer control. The BMW engines with variable lift and no throttle are impressive. As is the Fiat multi air engine which is almost as versatile as the Koenig but only manipulates the intake cams.
Well you have to remember that any energy going into moving the valve is completely lost vs. with a camshaft you get most of it back. The Fiat Multiair system has that problem too, it loses all the energy in the valve spring in some modes. How significant this energy is, I don't know, but the valves in a car engine do have some significant mass that needs to be controlled.

Still, it's great to see that they've been running camless valves for 2 years, I'm sure not many other companies can say that.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:50 PM   #23 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Typical for a car with a whole lot of power, it's not built for top speed but acceleration. I have a track car with double the factory hp, enough to top out over 150mph, but I will never take it there as too many other things that will go wrong.
A typical super car has a very clear top speed, from my experience. Ferrari, Lamborghini, the smaller companies- when they make a car, they are always quick with the facts. This reminds me of the old Rolls Royce, where things are rated as "sufficient."

Not always is it accurate, but it's defined- of course wind, direction, temps make a difference, but they state a number. I have never weighed myself and thought "greater than 200" or think of my fuel economy as "greater than 30." The generalization of it implies that such a large number is meaningless- which I think is funny.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Reply  Post New Thread