Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2014, 08:28 PM   #21 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
For some reason, I just prefer using Dad's laptop. Mine might be faster, it does have more RAM, although his screen is larger and has a higher resolution. I spent a while cleaning up after him, but apparently I am harder on computers than he was.

I wonder if the touch screen was somehow damaged by waking up while closed. Since I have some scratches on old laptop screens from the keyboard, I used to put a thin microfiber mousepad in there when I put away my computer. I lost that and now use a handkerchief. I am curious what problems might result from my computer waking up on its own. Many times I have arrived at class, pulled out my laptop, it was hot, running, and died when I opened it, even though I make sure the laptop is asleep when I close the lid.

Eventually, I was able to use it without the screen messing up, so I disabled the touchscreen. I am still trying to figure out how to adjust HP 3D Driveguard. I keep finding information that tells me the name of the program and where on my hard drive it is, but neither is true. I like the idea of my drive being guarded and there are times when I want to touch the screen, but it is like the system is guarding the drive from use by me and the screen is saying "Lalalala! I cannot feel you!"

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-16-2014, 09:00 PM   #22 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
For some reason, I just prefer using Dad's laptop. Mine might be faster, it does have more RAM, although his screen is larger and has a higher resolution. I spent a while cleaning up after him, but apparently I am harder on computers than he was.

I wonder if the touch screen was somehow damaged by waking up while closed. Since I have some scratches on old laptop screens from the keyboard, I used to put a thin microfiber mousepad in there when I put away my computer. I lost that and now use a handkerchief. I am curious what problems might result from my computer waking up on its own. Many times I have arrived at class, pulled out my laptop, it was hot, running, and died when I opened it, even though I make sure the laptop is asleep when I close the lid.

Eventually, I was able to use it without the screen messing up, so I disabled the touchscreen. I am still trying to figure out how to adjust HP 3D Driveguard. I keep finding information that tells me the name of the program and where on my hard drive it is, but neither is true. I like the idea of my drive being guarded and there are times when I want to touch the screen, but it is like the system is guarding the drive from use by me and the screen is saying "Lalalala! I cannot feel you!"
Get a SSD and just shut it down instead of putting it to sleep when you close it. Boot time with an SSD on my system witch has some custom loading stuff is ~25 seconds.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:49 AM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

+1 for the SSD. They are really coming down in price too. You can also use a usb or sd flash drive and set it for ready boost. I have a 63 gb drive set for ready boost and man, its faster than my tablet.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:00 AM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
The cloth might be pressing buttons, which would wake up the laptop. I would try hibernating it instead of standby. Hibernating takes longer to sleep and wake up, but it uses zero power while in hibernation and it will only wake up to the power button. Are you sure scratches from the keyboard are even a possibility? I've had some laptops that did scratch the screen and some that didn't.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread
Old 08-17-2014, 12:05 PM   #25 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
+1 for the SSD. They are really coming down in price too. You can also use a usb or sd flash drive and set it for ready boost. I have a 63 gb drive set for ready boost and man, its faster than my tablet.
+2 except he said he killed one earlier. I suspect heat as mine (I'm using it right now) is nearly 3 years old, used hard (this is a dev machine) and has minimal errors. I back it up each day though waiting for disaster to strike...

...EDIT - and so far the only think to fail is 3x USB backup drives
Old 08-17-2014, 01:43 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
...EDIT - and so far the only think to fail is 3x USB backup drives
Yeah. The other thing is that if your house burns down, or gets burglarized, there go your backups too. I do backups of important stuff (source code &c) to the SD card in my cell phone (plus occasional ones to a thumb drive I keep with a friend who lives about 50 miles from here).
Old 08-17-2014, 03:01 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Gateway use to have severe thermal issues with their laptops. I always ran mines at the lower or power save speed to keep it cooler.

Ive never had a thumb drive to fail, but I did buy a bad one on ebay once that wouldnt save stuff and kept showing garage when you do a file listing in file explorer.

Maybe its time to sell this laptop on ebay and buy a better one?
Old 09-30-2018, 03:04 AM   #28 (permalink)
Not Doug

I never removed the motherboard to replace that fan. I ended up recycling that laptop and a stack of others. I think they gave me a dollar for everything.

At one of many points where I was wasting time instead of fulfilling my various responsibilities I saw this:

I do not believe that laptop coolers make much air pass through laptops, I think they mostly blow warm air away from the bottom and cool that way. However, Linus directed gale force winds through this desktop, which did not seem to mind.

Idiot manager making idiotic claims is an idiot.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:32 AM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Volt, gas only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 38.02 mpg (US)

Volt, electric only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 132.26 mpg (US)

Yukon Denali Hybrid - '12 GMC Yukon Denali Hybrid
90 day: 21.48 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Idiot manager making idiotic claims is an idiot.
But he is in a position of authority and an "expert", he HAS to be right....

This is why I became an engineer, too many morons trying to tell me how I'm wrong using opinions and not science and fact.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:58 AM   #30 (permalink)
Not Doug

For example?

Reply  Post New Thread