Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 11:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Lean Burn -vs- Cylinder Drop

Just brainstorming here. I'm about to move my '89 BMW 325i into the modern era with a Megasquirt 3/Expanded, which, amongst many other things, will allow me to run sequential fuel injection and wasted-spark (or COP) ignition. I also noticed while I was setting up the initial tuning, that there are options to drop random cylinders per event (i.e. remove fuel pulse from 2 cylinders per revolution), as well as dual-mapping (i.e. one "normal" fuel map, hot-switchable with another map tuned to whatever AFR I choose).

Assuming no cost difference between the two, and ignoring the detrimental effects of a lean-burning engine on a catalytic converter (because this is a "theoretical car" that I drive 40 miles a day in with no catalytic converters), What's the general consensus on Lean Burn vs Dropping random cylinders?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-20-2013, 11:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

and... I just noticed that I've never posted here before (????)

Hey guys! I'm Jeremy. I fix (and build) BMW's for a living. I should say, for the sake of "full disclosure" that I drive fast and hard. I'm not a hypermiler by any means, but if I can make 500 horsepower and still get 25-30 MPG, I'm a happy guy. If I can get it to 50 mpg, I'll be a rich guy.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
Welcome. My understanding is that the cylinder cut out thing gains milage by reducing pumping losses. It makes the displacement of the engine smaller, therefore the throttle has to open more, thus your pumping loss goes down. Since pumping losses are not a huge loss to begin with, you are not likely to realize a very dramatic gain.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
If you can physically deactivate the intake and exhaust valves on the cylinders to be cut out, then cutting out cylinders is viable. Otherwise, stick to just doing lean burn.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazInMT View Post
Welcome. My understanding is that the cylinder cut out thing gains milage by reducing pumping losses. It makes the displacement of the engine smaller, therefore the throttle has to open more, thus your pumping loss goes down. Since pumping losses are not a huge loss to begin with, you are not likely to realize a very dramatic gain.
we cut cylinder activation by removing fuel pulse, so if we're removing 2 cylinders out of 6, we gain 33% economy (excluding the pumping loss of compressing the cut cylinders) right off the bat, plus the lower pumping loss of the "more open" throttle body.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

VX - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 47.95 mpg (US)
In theory yes, but in practice no, you wouldn't see a 33% improvement but cutting only fuel to 2 cylinders (and not closing keeping both valves shut). The amount of energy required to pump air into the "dead" cylinders, compress the air, and then pump it back out through the exhaust negates a lot of the gain. You may still see a small improvement, but the biggest bang-for-your-buck would be lean burn.

When factory engines de-activate cylinders, not only do they cut fuel, the also close both the intake and exhaust valves creating an 'air spring' inside the cylinder. It takes energy to compress the air during the upstroke of the piston, but some of that is regained on the down stroke. This is the most efficient way to do it, and even in these applications, cutting 2 cylinders from a V8 does not result in 25% more fuel economy, because there are energy losses in the system.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienBlood View Post
we cut cylinder activation by removing fuel pulse, so if we're removing 2 cylinders out of 6, we gain 33% economy (excluding the pumping loss of compressing the cut cylinders) right off the bat, plus the lower pumping loss of the "more open" throttle body.
I KNEW THIS WAS COMING!!!

...but I'm gonna be super nice and refrain from posting what I really think.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Nice?

How the hell is that nice?

Stop teasing us Frank and tell us what you think!
Old 02-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
I KNEW THIS WAS COMING!!!

...but I'm gonna be super nice and refrain from posting what I really think.
Okay... Who are you? And what have you done with Frank?
Old 02-21-2013, 01:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

AlienMobile - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 80.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000neon View Post
...This is the most efficient way to do it, and even in these applications, cutting 2 cylinders from a V8 does not result in 25% more fuel economy, because there are energy losses in the system.
Yes, like piston and ring friction losses and so on.

If you check out engines that have used cylinder cutout, the economy gain probably less than 10%. And this is for a V-8 switching to four cylinders on the highway.

I don't typically follow this closely, because the gains are not as large as lean burn, which I have in the Insight.

The lean burn gain is more like 20% or so.

Jim.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3-Wheeler For This Useful Post:
2000neon (02-21-2013), t vago (02-21-2013)
Reply  Post New Thread