Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2015, 06:31 PM   #41 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,522 Times in 2,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyDrew View Post
I just bought the 9012 version for my volt. I'll send pics tonight after install.

Edit : terrible product for a projector housing. Only projects in 2 directions so no way it can work with a projector. Don't bother
Good to know, feel free to start a whole new post on this particular subject of adding LED head lights to a volt.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-08-2015, 07:00 PM   #42 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Green frog - '97 Audi A4 Avant 1.9TDI 81kW
Diesel
90 day: 43.1 mpg (US)
brucepick - here is one idea. Why not use voltage booster circuit instead of 1.2V D-cell pack?
AutoSpeed - Voltage Booster, Mark II

Just buy one voltage step-up converter per-headlight (so you dont stress 150W max circuit too much - probably can stay with passive cooling that way too), tune your voltage to 14V and you dont have to deal with Nimh booster pack anymore.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:29 AM   #43 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

i've been running these in my honda element for over a year now:

lifetimeledlights > products/category/headlights

they're legit. low beams a slightly brighter than my old sylvania high end bulbs, high beams are not quite as bright. the light is proper white.

i'm a total stickler for headlights and am very pleased with them. plus they're warrantied for life. that part sold me.

i think there's an updated version that's brighter than the ones i got. mine are like, 2200 lumens or something. i think they're making them 3000+ now? but i'm not sure.

there's no dimming with them when i roll my windows up/down like with my old halogen bulbs. plus, i bought the really bright, expensive halogens back when, and i'd have to replace them every 6-8 months...LEDs ultimately ended up being cheaper for me, even at $150 or so i paid for em.

EDIT//sorry, i've been mostly a lurker the last few years and it won't let me post links.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:51 AM   #44 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
https://www.lifetimeledlights.com/pr...ory/headlights

How is the cut-off on low beam?

Edit: my question reminded me what I'd said in Permalink #24, so I drove around the block and found a place to take these pictures.

Here's the field expedient fix:

The bugs washed right off. Like I said, better but not good. The halogens on low beam very distinctly only illuminated the bottom half and the high beam threw light 80ft in the air.

The cutoff looks better on the bottom, maybe I got it backward.

Last edited by freebeard; 09-09-2015 at 04:33 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
deejaaa (09-09-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 08:20 AM   #45 (permalink)
Not banned yet

Blue - '03 Chevy S-10, LS
thanks for posting the results.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:06 AM   #46 (permalink)
1995 Previa LE S/C Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by com3 View Post
i've been running these in my honda element for over a year now:

lifetimeledlights > products/category/headlights

they're legit.
They are absolutely not legit.

Quote:
low beams a slightly brighter than my old sylvania high end bulbs, high beams are not quite as bright.
Which "high end bulbs" were those? If they were "SilverStar Ultra", those are not high end bulbs, just expensive.

Quote:
i'm a total stickler for headlights and am very pleased with them. plus they're warrantied for life. that part sold me.
So you ran photometric tests and found that with these "bulbs" installed your headlamps were still compliant with the associated regulations?

"Bulbs" like these are unsafe and illegal. You're better off with a quality set of halogen bulbs, like those from the Philips X-Treme Vision or X-Treme Power range.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:48 AM   #47 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaricD View Post

Which "high end bulbs" were those? If they were "SilverStar Ultra", those are not high end bulbs, just expensive.

So you ran photometric tests and found that with these "bulbs" installed your headlamps were still compliant with the associated regulations?

"Bulbs" like these are unsafe and illegal. You're better off with a quality set of halogen bulbs, like those from the Philips X-Treme Vision or X-Treme Power range.
I'm not a scientist. I'm just a dude that drives 50-60k miles per year, most of which is at night.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:57 AM   #48 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

OK, have to chime in here. Everything I've seen from other forums are negative when it comes to LEDs because of the placement of the emitters on the "bulb" and the fact the big numbers on output don't add up to brighter light. All I've seen are Chinese made and will probably be of poor quality. Even with a lifetime warranty, what do you do for two weeks to a month waiting on a replacement?
Not sure I even understand the logic involved running lights off a dedicated battery. Does the gained mpg offset the lost mpg from added weight, also how about the lost space? How do you charge these batteries? What is the cost of the electricity for that? If you rigged up something to where the engine charges them, then isn't that the same electricity that would go directly to the lights? Maybe I'm missing something. Explain please?
Old 09-09-2015, 12:37 PM   #49 (permalink)
Not banned yet

Blue - '03 Chevy S-10, LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsright View Post
......what do you do for two weeks to a month waiting on a replacement? good point.
Not sure I even understand the logic involved running lights off a dedicated battery. Does the gained mpg offset the lost mpg from added weight, also how about the lost space? weight and space are the same, it's still a battery. How do you charge these batteries? at home on a charger. What is the cost of the electricity for that? pennies. If you rigged up something to where the engine charges them, then isn't that the same electricity that would go directly to the lights? nothing charges them while driving. Maybe I'm missing something. i should say so. Explain please?
i'll try to not be critical of your questions but you should read more. this is a hobby and we enjoy what we do. have a little more fun with your life and enjoy it better, and read some more, after using search.
The Following User Says Thank You to deejaaa For This Useful Post:
brucepick (09-25-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 12:39 PM   #50 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Honda CBR250R FI Single - '11 Honda CBR250R
90 day: 105.14 mpg (US)

2001 Honda Insight stick - '01 Honda Insight manual
90 day: 60.68 mpg (US)

2009 Honda Fit auto - '09 Honda Fit Auto
90 day: 38.51 mpg (US)

PCX153 - '13 Honda PCX150
90 day: 104.48 mpg (US)

2015 Yamaha R3 - '15 Yamaha R3
90 day: 80.94 mpg (US)

Ninja650 - '19 Kawasaki Ninja 650
90 day: 72.57 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,315 Times in 968 Posts
There is a good thread on ADVRider showing how to tune the vertical cut off of these new LED's with a piece of sheet metal trimmed off of a beer can.
How to Modify H4 LED to reduce glare -- This is the one you want. | Adventure Rider
The newest generation of emitters are getting pretty small so the light source is approaching the accurate location of a halogen filament anyway. The best high end cars all have blazingly bright HID or LED headlights. Motorcycles are relegated to half the light of a cheap car with one 55Watt halogen. Motorcycles need more light. Not less. I am going to try these.
2015 CREE LED Headlight Kit 80W H4 9003 HB2 6000K 7600LM White Light Bulbs Pair | eBay

The Following User Says Thank You to sendler For This Useful Post:
freebeard (09-09-2015)
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
led bulbs, led headlight, led headlights, xenon depot