Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2013, 11:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Aerodynamics rules

then, last choice, stirling engines on the radiator FTW! hahahaha
it should be beneficial, what diameter have the stock and other exhaust?
More FE put off 2 fuel injectors and 2 spark pugs (?

Last edited by Viturro; 02-27-2013 at 11:25 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-27-2013, 11:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Less restrictive intake and exhaust really help, and often a different cam profiling can do miracles too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmjinman View Post
Electric fans - not sure. I've heard they help, but I've also heard that a properly operating clutch fan doesn't take any power either, so I'm not sure on that one.
Electric fans do really work, not just due to the overall lesser fuel consumption but they also lead to a quicker warm-up.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Truck - '99 Chevrolet Silverado Base
90 day: 17.92 mpg (US)
Regarding lsx exhaust next time your around a corvette or camaro check out the stock manifolds then check out a trucks. They are totally different the truck manifolds suck. Corvette or camaro manifolds would be a huge improvement over truck manifolds but thats not smog legit in Commiefornia.

One thing about automotive manufactures I think alot of people dont think about is cost. Yes they want to say they have vehicle type (fill in the blank, sedan, coupe, pickup, ect.) that has the best epa mileage. But these things are typically true for "ideal" conditions. Those of you who haven't read my intro thread please do all my "stats" are there (link to it in my sig). My driving conditions demand alot from my vehicles. That said if one part of a vehicle will cost the manufacturer $100 more then they otger part, draw those numbers out over 50,000 units a year. And in the case of my Silverado they were basically identical from 99-06 (aside from a few cosmetics). Yes they want the best mpg numbers on the market at the time of launch/sale but don't you think they would rather have the cash in their hand? Smaller initial investment with basically the same return. Please don't always beleive "factory is best" as it may be for cost but not all ways performance or effiencey.

Lets Talk POWER.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post358638

My Intro Thread.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ome-25035.html
Old 02-27-2013, 11:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilveradoMike View Post
Regarding lsx exhaust next time your around a corvette or camaro check out the stock manifolds then check out a trucks. They are totally different the truck manifolds suck. Corvette or camaro manifolds would be a huge improvement over truck manifolds but thats not smog legit in Commiefornia.
The smog-nazis really don't have any common-sense regarding engine tuning
Old 02-27-2013, 11:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Jimmy - '00 GMC Jimmy SLT
90 day: 21.18 mpg (US)

The White Gnat - '99 Suzuki Swift
Team Suzuki
90 day: 51.87 mpg (US)
Well, if you're really "working" your truck, which I'm starting to see you are, then maybe opening up the exhaust would help. I should have also said I don't think it would hurt at any rate. Just hate to waste money "for nothing". If you're seeing over 50% throttle a lot, that might be a good thing - the best BSFC (power per ounce of fuel used) are usually at higher power levels and near the engine's torque peak rpm.

Whoa - so you could mount enough cells to almost take on your entire electrical load?!?!?! Seems like someone on here was experimenting with an "alternator delete" and got something like 5 more mpg out of it. But of course, he had to charge the battery up all night long every night.... But - yeah - too bad solar is still so expensive. I would love to do SO much with solar, but dammit - the cost!!!
Old 02-27-2013, 11:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
Aerodynamics rules

maybe best things to do in your case is aerodynamic, exhaust and intake will help you, but the better thing to do is aero mods, i did read your intro thread, one thing that you could do is the underbody plain. why don't you start with the body?

hahahaha lol, the cost of the solar energy ,burns me out!
Old 02-28-2013, 12:09 AM   #17 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Seems like someone on here was experimenting with an "alternator delete" and got something like 5 more mpg out of it. But of course, he had to charge the battery up all night long every night....
That's one thing I'd only recommend with an all-mechanical Diesel swap, which back there would be illegal into a '99 Silverado due to the non-compliance to the OBD-2 mandate. Anyway I'd still be quite skeptical about it...

An alternator underdrive pulley, by the other side, would be more reasonable than a full alternator delete, for safety reasons such as lights and even the ABS modules...
Old 02-28-2013, 10:46 AM   #18 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
... Seems like someone on here was experimenting with an "alternator delete" and got something like 5 more mpg out of it. But of course, he had to charge the battery up all night long every night....
Yup, that's me. It needs about an hour of charging time per hour of drive time. That's with one 10 amp charger for each of the two deep cycle batteries that power the electrical system. Delete was done by installing a switch where alt output cable meets the battery. So for a long road trip I just close that switch and the alt does its job.

The point I want to make in this thread though, is that I've found real gains from relieving the engine of the job of powering accessories. Take your pick, the gains are there for a radiator e-fan, a/c delete, p/s or alt delete.

Example: I recently removed the power steering belt. Idle fuel gallons per hour was 0.158-0.159 prior to the delete. After the delete, at same engine temp on same day, idle gph was about 0.151-0.152 gph. I will say 0.0075 gph difference at idle.

Calculating the savings at highway speed: rpms would be 4x idle speed so fuel used to rotate engine is 4x (I verified that by idling at 4x idle or 2500 rpm). And fuel saved with p/s delete is 4x .0075 gph or .03 gph at highway rpms. That translates to an increase of about 1.25 mpg highway in my case, not a bad return.

Last edited by brucepick; 02-28-2013 at 05:25 PM..
Old 02-28-2013, 11:40 AM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Truck - '99 Chevrolet Silverado Base
90 day: 17.92 mpg (US)
Wow .158 gph at idle... My truck is about .49 gph at idle.

Lets Talk POWER.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post358638

My Intro Thread.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ome-25035.html
Old 02-28-2013, 01:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
You need a Civic truck!

Reply  Post New Thread