Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2023, 11:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
LiFePObox... I mean, LFP battery build idea

So lots of people have built LFP 12V batteries for their cars. The problem is when you live in a cold place like I do, since charging LFP's below freezing is bad for them.

What about these?

https://www.batteryspace.com/LiFePO4...ANR26650M.aspx

They claim to be able to withstand down to -30 °C discharge and can charge at -20 °C.

Any thoughts?

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-10-2023, 05:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 39.99 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,518 Times in 1,558 Posts
I ran a LiFePO4 pack for years in Vermont winters and had no problems with it, even on those days where it was subzero - but I had a supercapacitor pack in parallel that took nearly all of the pulse current. The pack really should not have survived what I put it through. This is just speculation, but I'd wager the colder it got, the higher the pack's internal resistance, and the more the supercapacitors took the load and the less discharge and subsequent charge the pack got.

As for the cells linked, I'm not sure what tricks they have used to make it safe to charge the chemistry below freezing, but the key thing here is really charge rate vs temperature - the lower the charging temperature, the lower your charging current needs to be to not form dendrites. Double the cells in the pack and you cut both the charge and discharge current (per cell) in half. A bigger pack will survive longer.

One trick some people have tried is using other lithium chemistries. The Fit Hybrid shipped with a lithium titanate pack which is basically impervious to cold or heat, and people buy those and tear them apart to make smaller packs. Just gotta watch out with different chemistries is nominal voltage, which is not the same.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zachary (12-15-2023)
Reply  Post New Thread