Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2010, 10:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Get yourself an electric motor, and some big hunks of plastic.

Make your own plastic pulleys.

Install them.

Done.

You'll save more weight than aluminum, most plastics will stand up to the belt drive without any trouble, and you can do it completely free.

It's really not too difficult to mill plastic... if you can center a hole in the blank, and then mount it on a bench grinder or something, you've just created an easy lathe-type setup.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-08-2010, 02:44 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Anyone have experience with the lightweight pullies sold on ebay for cheap?
Old 03-08-2010, 08:19 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dann6968 View Post
They're usually cheap.

That's not to say that they're any lower quality than some of the retail parts you can get, and I've always been of the philosophy that if it's a little cheaper, and still gets the job done, the quality beyond that point doesn't matter a bit.

I buy stuff from eBay for cars.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Silver Bullet - '86 Chevy Camaro Z28
90 day: 19.74 mpg (US)

New Blue - '96 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
90 day: 20.46 mpg (US)

Diesel - '96 Chevrolet Tahoe LS
Last 3: 13.56 mpg (US)

Tahoe #2 - '95 Chevrolet Tahoe LS
90 day: 13.05 mpg (US)

SuperDuty - '08 Ford F-350 dually Lariat
90 day: 9.34 mpg (US)

Fundai - '09 Hyundai Elantra
90 day: 26.45 mpg (US)

HRV - '17 Honda HRV LX
90 day: 31.39 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dann6968 View Post
Yep, bought a billet U/D pulley for the Civic (OE pulley was cracked, common issue due to thin casting, last owner cracked it pulling it off, so I had to replace anyways). Total hassle, I should have bought a used OEM pulley for $15... the ebay ad for the U/D pulley said it would fit all Civics 92-95... well it fit on the crank but the factory pulley bolt wouldn't fit inside the lower "ring", leaving it with 4-5 threads to grab on the crank. I emailed the seller, and they said it was an issue with my "non-OE" crank bolt (which was OE, got another one at the junkyard, same thing, no fit). Tried buying a $30 ARP crank bolt for ricers in the hope it would be enough longer, no luck. Paid the machine shop $5 to mill the bolt head and washer down to fit inside the pulley. And had to buy a shorter belt (which they did admit in the ad).

And someone above was dead-on... it primarily only helps during hard acceleration, which our cars rarely see. It turns slower, so the alternator has to be on "charge" mode longer, negating any fuel savings imho. Purely for acceleration (basically extends the alternator charging scenario into the future to free up power for the present take-off). Where it could come into play is by reducing the alternator drag it might allow slightly better acceleration while maintaining lean-burn on my Civic Vtec-E motor... once cruising the longer charge mode wouldn't be an issue for holding lean-burn.

Was about 1 lb lighter than the stock pulley... but my new clutch unit was 1 lb heavier... net sum zero.

Last edited by tim3058; 03-08-2010 at 01:12 PM..
Old 03-08-2010, 02:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tank - '96 Ford Aspire 4 door
Team Ford
90 day: 46.75 mpg (US)
Lightweight pulleys, like lightwieght flywheels, increase engine responsiveness, but have very little effect on power/economy.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Peter7307 -

Thanks for posting this. This is what I mean by a side-effect. Do you remember if the "fancy alloy spoked pulley" was OEM or ???

I think a light weight pulley may introduce the same problems because it's not OEM. That is why I wanted to know if someone on a Hyundai forum had done this.

CarloSW2
Carlos,
The one I was talking about was a set of after market pulleys fitted as part of a marine conversion of a diesel truck engine converted to marine use.

The set was to drive the water pump , two alternators and an idler for tension and to delete the power steering pump.

I was not involved in the original installation (if I had been I would have done more than a few thing differently but that is another issue) and so far as I know they were bought from a boat supply place as a set.

Hope this helps , Pete.

Last edited by Peter7307; 03-08-2010 at 05:46 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter7307 For This Useful Post:
cfg83 (03-08-2010)
Old 03-08-2010, 06:48 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim3058 View Post
Yep, bought a billet U/D pulley for the Civic (OE pulley was cracked, common issue due to thin casting, last owner cracked it pulling it off, so I had to replace anyways). Total hassle, I should have bought a used OEM pulley for $15... the ebay ad for the U/D pulley said it would fit all Civics 92-95... well it fit on the crank but the factory pulley bolt wouldn't fit inside the lower "ring", leaving it with 4-5 threads to grab on the crank. I emailed the seller, and they said it was an issue with my "non-OE" crank bolt (which was OE, got another one at the junkyard, same thing, no fit). Tried buying a $30 ARP crank bolt for ricers in the hope it would be enough longer, no luck. Paid the machine shop $5 to mill the bolt head and washer down to fit inside the pulley. And had to buy a shorter belt (which they did admit in the ad).

And someone above was dead-on... it primarily only helps during hard acceleration, which our cars rarely see. It turns slower, so the alternator has to be on "charge" mode longer, negating any fuel savings imho. Purely for acceleration (basically extends the alternator charging scenario into the future to free up power for the present take-off). Where it could come into play is by reducing the alternator drag it might allow slightly better acceleration while maintaining lean-burn on my Civic Vtec-E motor... once cruising the longer charge mode wouldn't be an issue for holding lean-burn.

Was about 1 lb lighter than the stock pulley... but my new clutch unit was 1 lb heavier... net sum zero.
He could use an O/D pulley. Or even an OE-sized aluminum replacement.

I don't think he specified.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:00 PM   #18 (permalink)
Cycling more to drive les

White 'rolla - '05 Toyota Corolla LE
90 day: 44.39 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Chalupa102
When i was into modding for performance/acceleration i installed some lightweight pulleys. Unfortunately i'm not sure if they made a difference for f/e or not cuz i really wasn't keeping track at the time. I can't remember there being that much change in power either.

Corolla aeromods thread:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ead-11210.html
Old 03-08-2010, 11:42 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Racer XD - '06 Hyundi Elantra GT
Team Hyundai
90 day: 33.26 mpg (US)

Racer XD 2013 - '06 Hyundi Elantra GT
90 day: 31.48 mpg (US)

Racer XD 2014 - '06 Hyundi Elantra GT
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Racer XD 2012 - '06 Hyundi Elantra GT

Racer XD 2011 - '06 Hyundi Elantra GT
Wow I was not expecting to get so many responses on this topic. It was just a random question I had been wandering for while. But now I have some great feed back from you guys. There are some people on the hyundai forums that have done some light weight pulleys but not sure what their results where. Not much I would guess. I have looked at those a few times but never wanted to spend $300 on something that with add minimal power or FE.

Thanks for all the input.

http://www.cars.com/ City 27 mpg - Highway 34 mpg
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/ City 23 mpg - Highway 31 mpg - Combined 26 mpg

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
engine, light, mpg, pulley, weight