Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2022, 07:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Long Time Lurker

Hi all, long time lurker first time poster. I am in the process of downsizing/ trying to save money and going back to college. Part of this process includes getting rid of my gas guzzling v8 pickup truck.
I am a mechanic so I picked up a 2wd 5 speed s10 for $400 with 150,000 miles and a blown up V6 (the ladies grandson tried to do a burnout). I will probably rebuild the V6 as I need the extra torque from time to time for towing and doing truck stuff as well as pulling grades in the mountains.
I considered a diesel swap but I do not have the time and money for that.
Reliability is important and rebuilding the factory motor should net the most reliable setup. Once I get the truck going I will do some baseline mpg tests before beginning modifications.
My goal is to hit 30mpg highway with an unloaded truck cruising 55-60mph.
I consider myself to be a very eco conscious driver. I dont use brakes, I accelerate quite slowly, engine off if sitting at a light, and I keep the rpms consistent based on the speed limit.
I managed to get 18mpg out of a lifted v8 pickup just by driving carefully.
I am very interested in stealthy aerodynamic mods as I like a clean looking vehicle.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-29-2022, 12:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Welcome.

What do you think of the half-tonneau?

Old 03-29-2022, 12:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Welcome.

What do you think of the half-tonneau?
I would like to experiment with some sort of bed cover. It currently has a fiberglass campershell. I plan to test mpg with and without the shell before beginning modifications.
Old 03-29-2022, 01:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Have you seen this before?

The pizza parlor manager knew this improves the gas mileage, but not by how much. Compare with the Camping World Cup race truck:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d1/d9...200705929e.jpg

You could get to a side-loading open bed and lockable storage at the rear.

Old 03-29-2022, 02:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
Waiting game till gas is $4 or $5 a gallon is not the time to discover fuel efficient vehicles.
You are better off parking the gas guzzler because right now, you would just about have to pay someone to take it. That way you don't that get screwed twice. A used fuel efficient vehicle is going to cost at least 50% more than it did 2 years ago.
Old 03-29-2022, 05:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Have you seen this before?

You could get to a side-loading open bed and lockable storage at the rear.

Interesting. Curious what it looks like in a wind tunnel. A wing on a tonneau is a nice look too.

I like lockable storage.
Old 03-29-2022, 05:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Waiting game till gas is $4 or $5 a gallon is not the time to discover fuel efficient vehicles.
You are better off parking the gas guzzler because right now, you would just about have to pay someone to take it. That way you don't that get screwed twice. A used fuel efficient vehicle is going to cost at least 50% more than it did 2 years ago.
I've always been into fuel efficient vehicles. I had a Honda with a grill dam and a kill switch that got 45-50mpg. I had an awd subaru with a grill damn, kill switch, and belly pan that would get 35-40mpgs.
I've done some experiments with diesels and electric conversions.
A friend of mine and I put a 3 cylinder Kubota diesel in a geo metro and managed to get around 80mpg on used motor oil.
So I wouldn't say I am just discovering fuel efficient cars. These cars have been run through the ground and replaced with cheaper and less efficient vehicles.

My v8 truck owes me nothing. I bought it for 500 bucks used, spent a grand to make in run and drive, and made a living for the past 3 years doing landscaping hauling cars, campers, tractors and scrap. I have it listed at kbb value and just need it gone. I am going back to school and moving to the city so having a big truck is no longer necessary.

I have noticed ecobox car prices have gone through the roof but so has everything else. I don't want to set a record as I will always own a truck, I just decided to join the forum to chat about ways to make a truck more efficient.
Old 03-29-2022, 06:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

You could go to ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/s-10-trying-have-both-ways and compare notes. He's got one post and no response.

Old 03-30-2022, 12:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

6th Gen Coupe - '02 Honda Accord EX 4 cyl
90 day: 28.01 mpg (US)

Zombie Accord - '98 Honda Accord EX
90 day: 24.71 mpg (US)

Ol' Red - '96 Ford F-150 XL
90 day: 14.43 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Not true. Used vehicles are still fetching a premium regardless of the MPG. No one can predict the future of gas prices and they certainly could go back down in the next couple of years depending on what our government does. If you need to tow, and many people do, nothing else will do but a large displacement V8.
Old 03-30-2022, 08:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
I would be quite tempted to replace that blown V6 for a turbodiesel, yet maybe finding a cost-effective one which wouldn't be technically illegal to fit into your S10 is not so easy back there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicradish View Post
If you need to tow, and many people do, nothing else will do but a large displacement V8.
Though the Vortec 5300 is not the largest V8, that 4-cyl Duramax can get the job done as well. I have even seen one being used to pull a 5th-wheel trailer.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
aero, lurker, new member, s10, truck