Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2010, 10:12 AM   #11 (permalink)
Coasting Down the Peak

Toyauto Pickup - '94 Toyota Pickup 2WD
90 day: 36.32 mpg (US)

Versa Base - '09 Versa Sedan 1.6 Base
Team Nissan
90 day: 41.69 mpg (US)
Here is my old thread on my motorbicycle. I rode it to work today, its pretty fun, although a nonmotorized bicycle is more practicaler.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...mpg-10201.html

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-27-2010, 05:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Maybe in Yurup, real life lynchings and two strokes are all but unheard of? I do know that ordinary people actually bicycle to work and around town in Belgium. The drivers, roads, and distances allow it.

Christ, maybe you'll enjoy this link:

Science of Cycling: Aerodynamics: page 1

Says you'll need about 2HP to get to 50mph three minutes later, on a flat road, with no wind. You might need about twice that to meet your goal of reliable and swift 50mph. On a bicycle, I'm good for about a quarter of a horsepower continuously.
The Following User Says Thank You to RobertSmalls For This Useful Post:
Christ (08-28-2010)
Old 08-28-2010, 12:27 AM   #13 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
Maybe in Yurup, real life lynchings and two strokes are all but unheard of? I do know that ordinary people actually bicycle to work and around town in Belgium. The drivers, roads, and distances allow it.

Christ, maybe you'll enjoy this link:

Science of Cycling: Aerodynamics: page 1

Says you'll need about 2HP to get to 50mph three minutes later, on a flat road, with no wind. You might need about twice that to meet your goal of reliable and swift 50mph. On a bicycle, I'm good for about a quarter of a horsepower continuously.
Did I comment on the acceleration I'd like to have specifically? I think I was a little unrealistic about how fast I'd like to get to speed, honestly.

3 minutes is probably sufficient for a 50 MPH pull. I'd like to see it a bit lower than that, but again it's all country areas... once I get up to that speed, I don't plan on slowing down much (if at all). Even all the curves out here, I've already tested them on small, low-center, off-road and pitbike-type bikes at 50+, which have similar tires to an MB, and had no issues with staying inside the lines.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:30 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
While I'm sure you have a plethora of reasons for having said that, I'm also quite sure you've just made yourself appear ignorant on a public forum for the same.
Simple two-strokes are not exactly known for their clean fuel combustion.
Having to add 2-stroke oil makes matters even worse.

There's a good reason why you don't find 2-strokes in cars anymore : they don't meet any emission standards.
That you can still find them in an ever-decreasing number of motorcycles, is only because their emission standards are still below those of cars.

So ...

What's the point in getting great mpg if you're burning those gallons in the most highly polluting kind of ICE ?

What's the point in taking an environmentally friendly means of transport like a bicycle, and then turning it into yet another smoky polluter ?

If you really have to add an engine to your bike, make it an electrical one and get yourself hooked up to a provider of green / sustainable electricity.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:19 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Simple two-strokes are not exactly known for their clean fuel combustion.
Having to add 2-stroke oil makes matters even worse.

There's a good reason why you don't find 2-strokes in cars anymore : they don't meet any emission standards.
That you can still find them in an ever-decreasing number of motorcycles, is only because their emission standards are still below those of cars.

So ...

What's the point in getting great mpg if you're burning those gallons in the most highly polluting kind of ICE ?

What's the point in taking an environmentally friendly means of transport like a bicycle, and then turning it into yet another smoky polluter ?

If you really have to add an engine to your bike, make it an electrical one and get yourself hooked up to a provider of green / sustainable electricity.
Are you coming back to the less-than-ideal world at some point?

You really need to check up on things before you go spouting like this, because while you have valid points, they don't really apply when you consider the alternatives.

Firstly - (and you can call me lazy all you want) I wouldn't be riding the bike 10 miles or more to get where I plan on taking it at speeds <10MPH average, so I'd resort to driving my truck, which is even more polluting and gets MUCH less fuel economy. Welcome to the real world. I don't have the hour or more it would take both ways to lose from the work I do on weekends, nor am I willing to lose that hour or more from my personal time.

Second - I bought the motor kit I bought because of cost. It was $140. When you point out a single electric kit that will perform reasonably well, meet my initial goals (or even close to it) and be a complete kit for $140, I'll buy it. Until then, ain't gonna happen. I can't even buy a reasonable controller for that price on most days, let alone batteries, a motor, and a frame strong enough to mount it all reasonably well.

Third - The closest thing to "green" electricity we have out here is wind powered, and I think that's a private grid as yet. The area I live in is a substation of a much larger (PennElec) grid zone. We don't have options, there's ONE electric Co-Op out here, and it's Tri-County. You don't like their hookup, you get your own. And that doesn't mean "call the other electric company". IT means build your own solar array, wind farm, other means, what have you.

So what was the point in ranting when you didn't even consider the details of the situation?

The Following User Says Thank You to Christ For This Useful Post:
Lazarus (08-28-2010)
Old 08-28-2010, 08:36 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

One hundred years ago all motorcycles were motorized bicycles. Belgium and the Netherlands are flatter than north central Pennsylvania. Just advocating a lynching can be a federal offense in North America with serious prison time involved. An exhaust recirculation pipe will go a long way to reduce HC emissions and improve efficiency for a two-stroke engine.
If you are going parts yard tech, look for 4130 CrMo frames and aluminum rims. Caliper brakes can be fitted with the longer mountain bike pads. Braking from speed (1/2 g) with a fairing may be tricky. My experience with inner tubes is they break down when exposed to the elements. Try some neoprene foam or gasket material.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:52 PM   #17 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Also make sure your components are rated for the speeds involved. Here's a guy whose frame failed, presumably in fatigue, while offroading down a volcano at 100mph:

YouTube - Extreme Mountain Bike Crash with 170 kph

50mph is not unheard of in competitive cycling, so plenty of bikes are up to the job. Dunno how well WalMart stuff will hold up, though.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:16 AM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Ironically I was looking on Ebay.com to buy something similar for my bike as a alternative transportation, but I found a whole almost new scooter for $300 instead, literally next door. I'm very interested in your project, keep up the good work.

http://imageshack.us/g/1/10087943/

http://imageshack.us/g/1/10087939/

Bought Accord 88 LX'i on ebay.com for $380
Check out our Honda build
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67592

Also check out the Scooter we bought for $300- 92MPG
http://scootdawg.proboards.com/index...y&thread=32692
Old 09-20-2010, 10:02 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I have a stash of parts at 813 Holdridge
Old 09-21-2010, 09:03 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant-53 View Post
I have a stash of parts at 813 Holdridge
Sweet.

I'm not working at all this week with the person I was doing work for, but I do have an interview this evening (I guess it's an interview) at 1pm to attend. Hopefully it goes well and I'll have two vital components to tinkering - Money and Time.

So far, I think the bike I acquired only needs a chain, and since I'm removing the rear index anyway, I don't have to worry about freeing it. I will be replacing the goofy handlebars on it, though. They're ridiculous.

Pics later this afternoon when I get a chance.

Reply  Post New Thread