Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2010, 12:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

looking for 2bbl ford Holley....

I'm looking for a 2bbl ford Holley that comes with annular boosters.Is there such a thing or do they only come on the 4bbl carbs?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-15-2010, 01:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Box - '99 Chevy Metro Base

Transit - '10 Ford Transit Connect Van XLT
90 day: 23.2 mpg (US)
Are you looking for a 5200 or 2300 series?

If your not sure, what engine is this on?

CJ
Old 12-15-2010, 01:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

it would be the 2300
Old 12-15-2010, 09:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Holley offered an Economaster series of carburators during the gas crunch. They still show up from time to time NOS. I haven't seen annular boosters of the sort used on the Economaster recently, but it'd be worth checking on the Holley site.

The OEM Ford Holley 2300 was used on SB and FE-BB V8's for quite a while. I don't remember seeing the improved annular boosters on any of the Holley 2300 copies from Ford. That doesn't mean they weren't available.

What size engine are you running? Two possibilities would be Holley's 350 cfm Series 2300, and the Weber/Holley. Can't remember the model/list for the Weber. It's similar. 38/38, not progressive.
For a Big Block, like the FE, if that's what your running, the 500 would be the best bet. A 350 would start wheezing pretty early.

Sometimes switching up to a small four barrel could net better results, at least out on the road. The trick is to use the small primary, and stay out of the secondary.
Depending on displacement and engine configuration, there are lot's of choices. I'm partial to Carter, though I've had good results from Holley and Rochester as well.

CJ
Old 12-15-2010, 08:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I'm looking for this carb because it's easy to tune,that style booster is good for low rpm.I do a lot of hwy driving.i drive an 86 toy truck 22r.

Last edited by sc2dave; 12-15-2010 at 08:54 PM..
Old 12-15-2010, 09:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

OK. I don't think this will be the best choice for a 2 L engine.

In order for the circuits to work, you will need to run a fairly high Power Valve. When accelerating, vacuum will drop out rather quickly, so the pump shot will need to be bumped up as well.

These carburetors, when run on small displacement engines tend to have a dead spot somewhere in the cruise and transition.

A 350 cfm carb is too big unless it has a secondary system that is flow dependent.
I can't remember which pump cam comes on the universal, or which shooter they use.

To run the 500 CFM Holley 2300 on my 4.1 L inliner, I had to run the 50cc pump shot to get it off the line. Different application for certain. (Drag car.) I could get it to idle, and WOT was phenomenal. unfortunately mid-range cruise was terrible.
That car ran better with a 600 CFM vac Secondary Holley 4 bbl, and got much better fuel economy. Going to a Carter AFB netted more improvement, with far fewer tuning issues. After playing with the Carter in 600 CFM trim, and 500 CFM trim, the time slips showed the car was quicker as a 500.
I can't think of any primary blocks that would have appropriate air bleeds for the two litre four cylinder.

I'd look at the weber progressive. It's a mechanical secondary, but the air flow is much more in line with the displacement of your engine. With that carburetor on a Subaru 1600 pushrod engine, .040" Oversize, I was able to get into the mid to high 30's, and had improved overall performance.

The Carter BBD is a pretty good carburetor, but finding a rebuildable one these days is getting to be a challenge. The specific BBD also needs to be found. Large 6 cylinder and V8 BBD's don't work well with smaller displacement engines. Drilling the butterflies sometimes can work, but some models were modified by the OEM's in such a way that they aren't very useful in swaps. Jeep and AMC come to mind as Carter's to avoid.

The Holley 1920 1 bbl was offered in an Economaster, and flowed appropriately. Somewhere in the 220 cfm range at 3"

I liked the Rochester 2SE. (Not the E2SE!)
It's a progressive two barrel that was used by GM on four cylinder cars and 60° V6s. In something fairly light it can do an exceptional job. Linkages and the base pattern would be a challenge though.
The E2SE used a mixture control solenoid, and was difficult to tune. It would require an ECM and appropriate sensors. While possible, the return wouldn't be very reasonable.

CJ
Old 12-20-2010, 01:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceej View Post
OK. I don't think this will be the best choice for a 2 L engine.

In order for the circuits to work, you will need to run a fairly high Power Valve.
CJ
Wouldn't i be running on the jets during cruising? I currently run a Holley-weber dgav carb and i average 31mpg doing 65mph without messing with the circuitry.Should i just send in a 350cfm 2bbl and have anular boosters put on, or try running a 600 vac. sec. Holley? All i want is more mpg's
Old 12-21-2010, 02:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

would this be a good carb to get? notice the boosters. Holley 2 barrel Carburator List 7508-1 2124 - eBay (item 150472823409 end time Dec-24-10 11:53:56 PST) or,http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Old 12-23-2010, 09:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Sorry, been at work and haven't checked in for a while.

The DGAV is a much smaller carburetor than the 350 cfm 2bbl. Closer to 280 cfm or so. It is a much more appropriate size for your engine. The 2300 series has a different base. Your DGAV is specific to Weber. The 5200 series may fit.

The reason you will end up in the power valve is to keep the mixture from going too lean. In order to cover moderate acceleration, the power valve adds enrichment. Like when you encounter a hill, or decide to travel at 50 instead of 40 mph. Part of the enrichment is the pump shot, the other would be the power valve.
In order to cover moderate, or even heavy acceleration, the power valve must open up to provide acceleration mixture, which is necessarily richer than cruise. To do that with the jets, your economy would tank across the board.

A carburetor that is open more efficient than one that is just cracked open. In order to make that work, the carburetor has to be sized appropriately to the engine. The most efficient way to do it would be to run without throttle plates, like Fiat's new MultiAir engine does.

Do the math for your displacement at the highest rpm you run the engine. That will give you the size you need in a carbutetor.
Now if your racing your 2L, then a 350 CFM could be the ticket. Your going to have to turn it up over 9,000 rpm to flow near that though, and the cam choice will need to be extremely radical. Big compression.

CJ
Old 12-23-2010, 11:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceej View Post

The reason you will end up in the power valve is to keep the mixture from going too lean. In order to cover moderate acceleration, the power valve adds enrichment. Like when you encounter a hill, or decide to travel at 50 instead of 40 mph. Part of the enrichment is the pump shot, the other would be the power valve.
In order to cover moderate, or even heavy acceleration, the power valve must open up to provide acceleration mixture, which is necessarily richer than cruise. To do that with the jets, your economy would tank across the board.

CJ
Isn't the only time the power valve opens on a Holley is when the vacuum drops lower than the power valve's rating,as in accelerating,and even then ,you can lean out the pv channel restrictions if it spews out too much fuel. You can adjust the main jets and the power valve with a wide-band meter and a vac. gauge.

Reply  Post New Thread