Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2009, 07:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Red Baron - '00 Ford F-350 XLT
90 day: 27.99 mpg (US)

Impala Phase Zero - '96 Chevrolet Impala SS
90 day: 21.03 mpg (US)
A few comments (in no particular order) from the official site Grinch:

1.You are looking to improve the average MPG to a figure that is a third better than the fleet leaders in 20 years. A bridge too far?
2.To get to a fleet average of 55 MPG, you’ll have to be selling a lot of (slightly) powered street luges even if the new minivans and pickups get 30-35 MPG.
3.Neil has the aero angle covered. Aptera/VW 1L/Pillbug shapes will have to predominate. Tandem arrangements will have to become the “normal” vehicle to cut frontal area.
4.Federal crash standards will have to be relaxed in order to reduce vehicle weight and still be of reasonable cost. The way the regs are written today, the heavier vehicle is more likely to comply. Yes, you can make your car out of superunobtainium and pass the crash tests and still be light but what have you gained if nobody can afford it?
5.We have to get some cooperation from the government on aero issues like side mirrors and on engine requirements like Tier II on diesels. Heat engines are a fairly mature technology. Barring a materials breakthrough, I would not look for much in the way of improved engine efficiency.
6.A big item, nobody else has mentioned: The torque converter automatic has to go. Maybe the dual-clutch transmissions will supplant it. Maybe not – the jury is still out on that one. We all know the manual is king of MPG, but few people want them. I like a stick but am considered an oddball for that preference.
7.I concur with superchow in that driver education & motivation will probably be more important than you think. There is a yawning gap between the performance of a Wayne Gerdes and my texting-while-driving niece. The importance of the nut behind the wheel is an article of faith on this site.
8.The cars of this brave new world will have to be designed to be fairly comfortable and accessible. One thing that designers have found is that people strongly prefer to sit fairly upright rather than reclining. You do have to sell the things to people who are NOT Olympic gymnasts.
9.The history of the auto industry shows that (for some reason) people do not like aero vehicles. People tell me my (slightly) modified truck looks “gay.” The basjoos-mobile would probably trip all their breakers. It seems dumb to me, but automotive history is full of aero cars that people didn’t want.
10.A mandated jump in MPG this big, this fast carries a high risk of political backlash. Maybe a better way to reduce air emissions is to take some intermediate steps toward an electrified ground transportation system. That takes the propulsion of ground transportation away from inherently dirtier mobile power plants and toward inherently cleaner stationary power sources. You cannot get cleaner than nuclear power. The first step would be to subsidize/encourage electrification of America’s freight railroad mainlines. Railroads consume about a quarter million barrels a day of diesel fuel. If that is shifted to nuclear or even stationary coal power there would be big net reduction in air emissions. Once that is accomplished you then put electrified lanes on the Interstates for trucks and busses. This would bring an even larger reduction in air emissions.
11.Low rolling resistance tires carry a big downside. Generally “low rolling resistance” equals “poor traction.” One reason tire manufacturers don’t publish crr to the general public is that they are afraid that in a period of high fuel costs, people will mindlessly buy the low-crr tires and ignore the trade-offs made. They will have accidents and will litigate against the tire manufacturers for making “unsafe” tires. It won’t take but a couple of gullible juries and “lottery” awards and low-crr tires will disappear from the market. I would not bet on low rolling resistance tires being around very long in a highly litigious society.
12.Energy recovery from potholes is a seductive idea, but at what price in terms of cost and complexity?

Remember that whatever is done will still have to pass muster with the consumer.

Rubber Conveyor Belt Air Dam
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-08-2009, 09:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
My take, and even why I am here at eco mod, is the boxer engine. The net has only fulfilled a hunch already.

If to target powerplant,(I see it as a task in the list you made) scrap the inline, and even transverse. the babbles all the way to "type of pavement" will seem to come from a ninny who doesn't know what torque for fantastic consumption is, after using a boxer with 3 mains. That applies to aerodynamics as well. A balanced drivetrain (that means for real, no counterbalancers pretending pistons and rod weight, I mean a benz crank type balance) does away with a whoooole lot of crazy theroies (crazy to me, and any long term boxer driver).

In fact to add to mainstream frustration, I am going to put a welded home made whistling in the wind steel roof rack on the sube some day, and know 40mpg is not even going to be bothered whatsoever...with 1781cc carrying it ALL. 10 gears, 15 inch wheels buzzing like monster treads and cruising behind the v8 bimmer in the 80s mph on a typical chauvinist highway.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Ernie FYI, I know it isn't for everybody, but Craig Vetter had some motorcycle efficiency contest back in the 80s, and one fella got his bike up to 470mpg, nothing mechanically fancy, mostly just fiberglass aero, gearing, and stroking, and technique. 62 miles on California hiways in real conditions.
1985 Fuel Economy Contest

So be kind to your two wheeled friends.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:02 AM   #14 (permalink)
Ernie Rogers

You're the man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
My bad, I'm slow.
You're the MAN.

Now, back to work.

Ernie
Old 05-09-2009, 03:08 AM   #15 (permalink)
Ernie Rogers

I like #6

Well, Big Dave,

I agree with #6.

And, I think your truck is awesome!

If I figure out how to post it, I have about an eight-page draft of a discussion on car energy efficiency--not good enough to call a "white paper."

My conclusion is that in a couple of decades, maybe less, we should have comfortable-size cars that get up to 150 miles per gallon (at 60 mph).

Ernie Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
A few comments (in no particular order) from the official site Grinch:

1.You are looking to improve the average MPG to a figure that is a third better than the fleet leaders in 20 years. A bridge too far?
2.To get to a fleet average of 55 MPG, you’ll have to be selling a lot of (slightly) powered street luges even if the new minivans and pickups get 30-35 MPG.
3.Neil has the aero angle covered. Aptera/VW 1L/Pillbug shapes will have to predominate. Tandem arrangements will have to become the “normal” vehicle to cut frontal area.
4.Federal crash standards will have to be relaxed in order to reduce vehicle weight and still be of reasonable cost. The way the regs are written today, the heavier vehicle is more likely to comply. Yes, you can make your car out of superunobtainium and pass the crash tests and still be light but what have you gained if nobody can afford it?
5.We have to get some cooperation from the government on aero issues like side mirrors and on engine requirements like Tier II on diesels. Heat engines are a fairly mature technology. Barring a materials breakthrough, I would not look for much in the way of improved engine efficiency.
6.A big item, nobody else has mentioned: The torque converter automatic has to go. Maybe the dual-clutch transmissions will supplant it. Maybe not – the jury is still out on that one. We all know the manual is king of MPG, but few people want them. I like a stick but am considered an oddball for that preference.
7.I concur with superchow in that driver education & motivation will probably be more important than you think. There is a yawning gap between the performance of a Wayne Gerdes and my texting-while-driving niece. The importance of the nut behind the wheel is an article of faith on this site.
8.The cars of this brave new world will have to be designed to be fairly comfortable and accessible. One thing that designers have found is that people strongly prefer to sit fairly upright rather than reclining. You do have to sell the things to people who are NOT Olympic gymnasts.
9.The history of the auto industry shows that (for some reason) people do not like aero vehicles. People tell me my (slightly) modified truck looks “gay.” The basjoos-mobile would probably trip all their breakers. It seems dumb to me, but automotive history is full of aero cars that people didn’t want.
10.A mandated jump in MPG this big, this fast carries a high risk of political backlash. Maybe a better way to reduce air emissions is to take some intermediate steps toward an electrified ground transportation system. That takes the propulsion of ground transportation away from inherently dirtier mobile power plants and toward inherently cleaner stationary power sources. You cannot get cleaner than nuclear power. The first step would be to subsidize/encourage electrification of America’s freight railroad mainlines. Railroads consume about a quarter million barrels a day of diesel fuel. If that is shifted to nuclear or even stationary coal power there would be big net reduction in air emissions. Once that is accomplished you then put electrified lanes on the Interstates for trucks and busses. This would bring an even larger reduction in air emissions.
11.Low rolling resistance tires carry a big downside. Generally “low rolling resistance” equals “poor traction.” One reason tire manufacturers don’t publish crr to the general public is that they are afraid that in a period of high fuel costs, people will mindlessly buy the low-crr tires and ignore the trade-offs made. They will have accidents and will litigate against the tire manufacturers for making “unsafe” tires. It won’t take but a couple of gullible juries and “lottery” awards and low-crr tires will disappear from the market. I would not bet on low rolling resistance tires being around very long in a highly litigious society.
12.Energy recovery from potholes is a seductive idea, but at what price in terms of cost and complexity?

Remember that whatever is done will still have to pass muster with the consumer.

Last edited by Ernie Rogers; 05-09-2009 at 03:17 AM..
Old 05-09-2009, 03:15 AM   #16 (permalink)
Ernie Rogers

Thanks, very good

Thanks,

I needed that information. /Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
Ernie FYI, I know it isn't for everybody, but Craig Vetter had some motorcycle efficiency contest back in the 80s, and one fella got his bike up to 470mpg, nothing mechanically fancy, mostly just fiberglass aero, gearing, and stroking, and technique. 62 miles on California hiways in real conditions.
1985 Fuel Economy Contest

So be kind to your two wheeled friends.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:53 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Red Baron - '00 Ford F-350 XLT
90 day: 27.99 mpg (US)

Impala Phase Zero - '96 Chevrolet Impala SS
90 day: 21.03 mpg (US)
I suppose that it you get enough (about 40%) of the cars being HyperRocket trikes you might get 55 MPG CAFE.

I wonder if there will be any auto companies left in 20 years.

Rubber Conveyor Belt Air Dam
Reply  Post New Thread