Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2017, 03:18 PM   #51 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
It makes sense to bury the lines in more densely populated areas and countries. The US is relatively sprawling and less dense, so we make more use of above ground lines. We are a geographically larger country than most, so our grid is more complex than most.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
rdefayette (09-12-2017)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-12-2017, 03:24 PM   #52 (permalink)
Diesel Trucker

JD - '04 Dodge Ram 2500 QCLB 4x4 SLT
Last 3: 18.93 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
Time to "bring back" the original hand-operated gasoline pumps from history? At least as 'emergengy / backup'?
People today can't change a flat tire and now they'd have to figure this out?
The Following User Says Thank You to rdefayette For This Useful Post:
Xist (09-12-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 03:35 PM   #53 (permalink)
Diesel Trucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
The grid breaks down because it can break down. There has only been invested so much in it. Once it becomes the only system of redistributing energy, time and money must be spent to make it disaster proof.

In Holland the low voltage grid is >99,9% underground and even the high voltage lines are slowly but steadily moving out of sight.
As a result grid failures are quite infrequent over here; one of the last big ones was caused by an Apache helicopter...

Would it be a stupid idea to put all the main electric lines in the southern coastal area and tornado alley underground?
Underground lines are great so long as the system is watertight. Florida, for example, just had Hurricane Irma go through with a LOT of flooding from the storm surge. 2 problems arise with Florida in particular when it comes to "the grid"/power distribution of any kind. 1) over head lines can be brought down by high winds and trees falling during a hurricane. 2) The storm surge and subsequent flooding will cause just as much if not more damage than the winds themselves due to improved construction techniques/building codes and hurricane "resistant" building products. The problem with the underground lines in coastal regions, such as Florida, that see any type of frequent flooding is the underground electric distribution system does NOT fare too well when saltwater is introduced into the equation. Buried/underground transformers (even those placed on ground level pads) electric lines/cables, etc and saltwater are a combination that that leads to power outages if not during the storm but "short"ly (pun intended) thereafter.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:08 PM   #54 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
But what if the ICE was really dead? Meaning even the utility repair trucks and the semis bringing supplies were electric and needed recharged? Generators also powered by ICEs were also gone and only solar and wind could recharge them? People would be eating each other within a month while they still were waiting for relief. At least the green, zero carbon, USS Ronald Reagan could come to the rescue.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
rdefayette (09-12-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 05:14 PM   #55 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
Then we can finally phase in a big carbon tax to pay for the transition to EV's and renewables.
Wife is lovin' her recently acquired Chevy Bolt. Our solar panels are covering all of that vehicle's needs ...
Old 09-12-2017, 05:55 PM   #56 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A carbon tax is currently more about government control than stopping thermal pollution. In my situation an electric car is not realistic in terms of range and purchase price. If solar and wind work for you that's great. Geography and weather patterns vary from county to county so a one size fits all plan is not possible. Here micro- hydro electric power and natural gas diesel buses with bike racks work best. Yes, we will have to revisit nuclear power too. We are used to pumping fuel from tanks in the back of pick up trucks to run irrigation pumps. We can revert to wood gas and bio diesel if the need arises. The reason rural people use trucks is because the roads are often dirt. Snow requires a higher ground clearance. Farmers are shifting to diesel trucks and drilling their own gas wells. Some are using solar panels for milking operations that need reliable power. If you are a Leftist then join a co-op. The rest of us prefer to make other arrangements.

Last edited by Grant-53; 09-12-2017 at 06:17 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Grant-53 For This Useful Post:
Hersbird (09-12-2017), rdefayette (09-12-2017), The Atomic Ass (09-13-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 08:10 PM   #57 (permalink)
Diesel Trucker

What'll happen to this forum if only battery powered cars exist? change the name to "Battery Miser"? How to pull fuses to kill everything in the car except for the power train? How to operate without wipers, lights, heater, A/C, defrost, radio, GPS, don't charge the phone in the car? Now I can get 15% better range than the factory says I should be able to get. I love being devils advocate.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:24 PM   #58 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobnev View Post
And high mpg cars are cheaper than low mpg cars, further making it nonsensical to call it a tax on the poor.
This is a Camaro, but only has a 2L engine, and they are asking $20,342: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...7725/overview/

That sounds pretty cheap [for a new car] to me.

It is only rated 25 MPG average, though.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:58 PM   #59 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Any sales tax on a commodity is regressive. Yes I studied economics in school and yes I live well below the national poverty level. Rational governments will strive to hold down the cost of commodity goods to ensure political stability. Value management is what we use in weighing our needs or wants and establishing priorities based on our available resources. Pollution is a limiting factor. Not every decision is rational. I was stopped behind a big blue Toyota Highlander with a bumper sticker which read "Save the TA TA s" when the female driver flicked a cigarette butt out the window. Hmmm
Those who are familiar with greenhouse design understand heat transfer and micro climate. Sendler lives about 100 miles from me along the lake plain so the snow fall is greater there. Politics are different too. Elmira is Republican and Ithaca at the other end of the spectrum. We may tease a bit but both have good ideas to share. The trick is being aware of the objective realities we face.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grant-53 For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (09-13-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 09:13 PM   #60 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

2001 Saturn - '01 Saturn SL1
90 day: 41.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdefayette View Post
What'll happen to this forum if only battery powered cars exist? change the name to "Battery Miser"?
I'm pretty sure that many of the eco-driving techniques we talk about here (not getting into a race to the next stop light, accelerating at some optimum speed, don't drive too fast, ...) will improve energy economy of electric cars too. I bet there's a wide range of ranges that people get out of a given electric car.

Reply  Post New Thread