Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2017, 11:17 AM   #71 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
Would be nice if gas would fall to 2$ a gallon here in Cali. Then I could drive my 4Runner a lot more.
First step would be to un-elect all the fruit cake / nut job liberal politicians , lower taxes , and force all the freeloaders off the public dole .

Sorry for the public rant , some times I just can not control my outbursts .

Our gas prices , including federal & state taxes , has been around $ 2.00 for quite some time . With the hurricane damage to the refining industry , it has gone up to $ 2.39 9/10 . Hope it comes back down in a timely manner .

Another thing , do all you can do to promote domestic production , transportation & refining . Including the proposed pipeline to Canada .

I had much rather pay money to our northern neighbor , than to send our money to the sheiks & politicians in the sand box .

Best wishes to all ,
Wyr
God bless

The Following User Says Thank You to WyrTwister For This Useful Post:
rdefayette (09-13-2017)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-13-2017, 11:28 AM   #72 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
Then we can finally phase in a big carbon tax to pay for the transition to EV's and renewables.

Tax , Tax , Tax !

The whole global warming is at beast unproven , at worst a hoax .

But it has accomplished one thing , it has made a lot of money for Al Gore ! :-(

Please , every one , think about productive jobs and making money , not taxing money .

Before we truly turn into a 3rd world country !

Wyr
God bless
rdefayette (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 11:30 AM   #73 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
It is not cheaper to buy an electric car than a regular car. People are still buying 18mpg pick up trucks all day long. More than ever. The market will not encourage people to buy a Prius or an electric car. Gas is $2.30/ gallon in the USA. Oil is cheap because of advanced technology in recovery methods. The only thing that will force selfish people with their head in the sand to push forward into a 50 mpg or better car is a carbon tax. It is easy to impliment at the fuel pump and most other countries in Europe already do. But it really should be done as the carbon leaves the ground in all forms to put solar/ wind/ nuclear into a true cost advantage over cheap gas and coal.
Ummm, whom do you usually pay taxes too?
The last thing I want to do is become more like Europe .

Wyr
God bless
Old 09-13-2017, 11:37 AM   #74 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
You dreamers. How is that going to happen? I have comparatively cheap electricity at $0.13/ kWh compared to many other places in the world. That is equivalent to to gas at $4.40. I'm paying $2.33 for gas. Gas is way too cheap. Americans are buying pick up trucks and large SUV's to drive back and forth to work like they are going out of style. It will take years (a decade) to unravel that mindset and get them off the road now. We need a carbon tax to begin gently phasing in now. To support research into Gen4 nuclear. The world currently uses 70Twh of electricity /day. You have to store at least a day at grid scale You think your going to build enough storage to make Solar take the place of giant GW scale coal plants?
If I want to drive a Leaf ( we had one untill a stoner rear ended it ) , that is my business .

If I want to drive a pick up truck , that is my business .

And what about the freight industry ? I can just see the freight industry trying to deliver the ma moth amount of freight provided inn this country , in a fleet of PRIUS'es . What would that do to traffic congestion ?

What planet / reality do you live in ?

Wyr
God bless
Old 09-13-2017, 11:45 AM   #75 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
OIL can be "stored" in containers; generated AC-power can NOT be "stored' unless it has been converted (incurring an efficiency loss) into DC-power which CAN be stored in chemical batteries or electronic super capacitors...but BOTH incurring even further efficiency losses. Then, that DC-energy takers another efficiency loss when it is reconverted BACK into AC-power. Even assuming 95% efficiency at each conversion, that exceeds 15% wasted energy: putting $1 into a Piggy Bank and only getting 85¢ back ain't very profitable.

Finally , someone with their head in the real world ! :-)

Where the geography & terrain are favorable , I have heard of systems that pump water to a higher elevation reservoir with off peak power & let the water come back through the turbines and generate on peak power when needed .

The only way storage is economical is to store cheaper off peak power / surplus power , then release it to the grid in times of high demand .

God bless
Wyr
Old 09-13-2017, 11:46 AM   #76 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
You people are dreaming on getting a huge increase in gas tax. Call it a carbon tax or a rainbow incentive or whatever you think people will embrace but it ain't happening in the USA. It would be the biggest tax on the poor and middle class you could think of, the most regressive tax in the country. So Bernie Sanders types, and Democrat types will never go for it. The right will never go for any major tax increase period for whatever reason. That leaves you with maybe 10% support probably more like 5%. Taxation to control behavior is poor government anyway. Jack booted thuggery in a suit and tie. Necessity or improvement in the product will drive any change in the masses, not government.
Well said ! :-)

God bless
Wyr
Old 09-13-2017, 12:19 PM   #77 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I'd rather buy solar panels, and put them on someone's house in Phoenix. It makes little sense for me to put 'em up on my 50% cloudy days roof, especially when my electricity is $0.08/kWh and mostly hydro power.
I think we should all be able to buy panel space in Arizona and keep all the same incentives. That would make the most sense to me.

With emergency rate hikes in Mass we've had rates as high as 34 cents per kWh. Now it's "only" 22 cents. But with our 33 solar panels we haven't had a power bill in six months, and the bills used to be well over $300 at peak cooling times.

Congrats on hydro power / low rates!
Old 09-13-2017, 01:27 PM   #78 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasitter View Post
I think we should all be able to buy panel space in Arizona and keep all the same incentives. That would make the most sense to me.

With emergency rate hikes in Mass we've had rates as high as 34 cents per kWh. Now it's "only" 22 cents. But with our 33 solar panels we haven't had a power bill in six months, and the bills used to be well over $300 at peak cooling times.

Congrats on hydro power / low rates!
What was the nature of the " emergency " ?

Best wishes , :0)

Wyr
God bless
Old 09-13-2017, 01:59 PM   #79 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

All That Jazz - '06 Honda Jazz i-DSI S
Team Honda
90 day: 48.72 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyrTwister View Post
And what about the freight industry ? I can just see the freight industry trying to deliver the ma moth amount of freight provided inn this country , in a fleet of PRIUS'es .
Nikola One fueled by hydrogen cells.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:22 PM   #80 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

What does it ( the truck and / or the fuel ) cost ?

How much for the energy ( that must come from some where , have not heard of any hydrogen wells ) ?

Can you stop by the local convenience store / pump to top off your hydrogen tank .

Before Henry Ford kicked the auto industry into high gear , the " industrialized " world ran largely on coal , of various grades / qualities .

Then , for roughly 100 years , it has been a worly economy largely based on oil .

Such things do not change quickly or with out a lot of grief & disruption .

And for what reason ? For the sake of questionable ( at best , fraudulent , probably ) science that has become a " religion " for some .

That would not be quite so bad , if they would leave the rest of us alone & not try to force it down our throats !

Wyr
God bless

rdefayette (09-13-2017)
Reply  Post New Thread