Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2012, 10:04 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Rondo - '07 Kia Rondo EX
Last 3: 20.47 mpg (US)

Tinkertoy2 - '00 Toyota Echo base
Team Toyota
Last 3: 46.03 mpg (US)
I was going to start a new thread but I'm hoping it's better to resurrect this one. I've finally wore out my Nokian WR's and am going to be choosing new tires soon. I've narrowed it down to three but I'm having trouble finding any direct comparisons. My primary goal is max fuel economy, but decent traction a soft quiet ride are important as well. I don't drive aggressively, other than occasionally taking a corner fast to keep from needing to brake. I am considering the WRG2's, but I've heard they are noisy and I have snow tires, so I don't really need the winter traction. My top two choices are the Nokian Entyre or the Bridgestone Ecopia EP422. Price is the same and both are LLR and claim good fuel mileage. I could only find one test between them which found the EP422 to give better mileage. Has anyone tried any of these three tires personally and seen noticeable mileage gains or have a recommendation?

Almost all my driving is done 1-5 miles at a time.
Best short trip: 2.4 l/100 km, 3.9 km
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-22-2012, 10:27 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
Wrg2 noisy? I found them to be very quiet, grippy and excellent in the snow.

Only downsides are wet RR does seem to be worse than the entyre and they do wear out quick if you use them as all seasons.
I would suggest the nokian entyre. That's what I replaced our Wrg2s with. Much longer tread life and "ultra" LRR. They are also very quiet and just as grippy as the Wrg2s. Tire factory carries them. (no affiliation)

I would give them a RR edge on the wrg2s but I don't have data to back that up.

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:57 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,353 Times in 711 Posts
You might also want to checkout the Good Year Assurance CS Fuel Max tires. I just put a set on my wifes 06 Equinox. They're made for SUV's.

>
Old 10-23-2012, 12:45 AM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Rondo - '07 Kia Rondo EX

Team Toyota
Thanks for the quick response. I'm getting warranty in the WR's because they have worn out so quick so my choices are limited to tires that I can get through Kal Tire, so GY is not an option. I was all set to buy Entyre's and then I ran across the EP422's and they look really good too. I know noise and ride are very subjective, but I do know that these WR's are almost unbearably noisy. My Rondo is an echo chamber at the best of times. orange4boy, have you noticed any improvement in mileage with the Entyre's over the WRG2?

Old 10-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammeir View Post
studded tires
Most states don't allow studded tires at all on public roads and studded tires are not good to drive on clear pavement nor are they good to drive at highway speeds! besides, stud-less snow tires work really well, the new rubber compounds are both LRR and get amazing grip!
Old 11-01-2012, 12:47 AM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Rondo - '07 Kia Rondo EX

Team Toyota
Well, I took a chance and ordered a set of Bridgestone Ecopia EP422's. I've been researching like crazy over the last couple of weeks and keep coming back to them. Only time will tell if it is a wise choice. Reviews for them seem to be all over the place. People seem to love them or hate them, but the general consensus seems to be, they are quiet, soft and improve mileage at the cost of handling and wet traction. They are supposed to have much softer sidewalls than the Nokians which sounds really good to me. I usually run my tires above the pressure spec on the door sticker anyway, so maybe I'll be able to do it now without stiffening up the ride so much. I also looked at the Michelin Energy Saver A/S which seem to be undisputed best for MPG, but they are way more money and don't handle any better. I can't see it being worth it. The Michelin Defender is interesting as well and slightly cheaper with the rebates, but handling is not much better and indications seem to be that the MPG might not be quite as good. The Ecopias are supposed to be okay in the snow too which is good. I run snow tires in the winter but unexpected snow storms are not that uncommon in the spring and fall. Anyway, I won't get them for a couple of weeks and they probably won't get much use before I have to put the snow tires on, but I will give an update on them at some later date.

Reply  Post New Thread