Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2008, 04:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Pepper - '87 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 30.42 mpg (US)
thinking about buying a bicycle

I had a thought. I live 6.4 miles from work and its 12.8 miles round trip.

but, part of it is on a somewhat of a highway. the part from US-27 to where the Deer creek area is located is 65 mph with stupid people driving. Then it goes down to 45 mph until the entrace onto I-4 west. Then its uphill to 55 mph then another mile and its back to 65 but that is right before a right. Then its all down hill at 50-55 mph by car.

I worked out the costs at $4.80 a gallon of diesel. I work 5-6 days a week, 84 miles total, which is 3.36 gallons of diesel at my combined FE of 25 mpg which is $16.13 a week saved by biking. After 52 weeks of biking I would save $838.76.

I could bike to work, but I don't have a bike, I would have to go out and buy a good road bike. Cannondale comes to mind but they are big money.

Another benefit of being carbon free, I would be working out.. again. I used to run 3 miles every morning but then college happened.

One more thing, Tuesday I am going for a job interview for a position as a Photopass photographer at a Disney World water park, which is located 12 miles away, 24 miles round trip. The pay is more than what i make now, as well as other cool non life related benefits. Sure they have health, stock options, 401k, but in adition to that you also get free park admitance, lower rates for water parks and cruises, great work experience, fun on the job, other perks like a credit union and like minded people.

If I don't get the job I'll mos def consider a bicycle.

I have about $500 I am willing to spend on a good road bike. I can also store it inside my place of employment at the grocery store, I wish I could bring my car inside but it won't fit in the back.

Last edited by TheDon; 06-10-2008 at 04:44 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-08-2008, 05:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I think it would be hard to make an economic-only decision on this. One fall and the medical bills would probably eat away that $900 you save every year. There are other benefits to being green, including the health benefits.

On the fuel cost issue: Disney may have a car pool / van pool plan. Car pooling is a way to cut your fuel cost in half or more without any of the safety/time sacrifices.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Bicycle Junky

Putsaround - '96 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

The Commuter - '07 Trek 1000SL
90 day: 617.28 mpg (US)

Zippy - '91 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 33.29 mpg (US)
You don't have to spend super big money to get a decent road bike. My Trek 1000 cost me about $800 brand new and I have since put about another $500 into it over the last 2 years. That is about as cheap as you can get for a new road bike. The other option is to buy used. There are literally hundreds of ads on both craigslist and ebay selling road bikes and usually they are going for $500 or less.

But, as for a commuter bike, make sure you find something that fits your body size. I don't know how much you know about bikes, but they come like pants and have different sizes for different people. Even if you don't buy from them, go to a reputable bicycle dealer and have them size you up on a frame so you know what you're looking for (I'm 6'1" and I ride a 58cm frame just for reference sake). You can also find great resources online about buying the proper size and fitting yourself to it for optimal power output and comfort.

The next thing to think about is your where you're riding. Since you're going to be doing all road riding it sounds like, a strictly road bike would probably best suit you. The other thing to consider would be a "hybrid" or "commuter" style bike rather then a "racing" style bike. They are more comfortable for long distances (I wouldn't really consider your ride a "long distance") but you will sacrifice speed for comfort. Finding a balance is key for a commuter bike.

As for your route: check on maps.google.com and check the "avoid highways" box to see if there is a route that would take you on slower roads then that...I never ride on anything with a limit over 45mph, unless it has a HUGE shoulder like this one 55mph in my area does that allows me to stay well clear of traffic.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

true, I just wish I didn't live off this stupid road. If i didn't i could walk to work.

I did notice other drivers in my area seem to not respect bicycle riders. Some people

It sucks that there is no straight shot to the store or the road that lies 3 miles behind my subdivision, unless I can blaze a trail...
Old 06-08-2008, 05:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Sucky commute, it looks like...don't have any good advice for commuting on those types of roads, but don't forget that you can buy a good, used road bike for a pretty good price, usually.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

yea, there is a bicycle shop by the community college.. I should stop in sometime and see whats the what.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
That a pretty rough commute. Especially that part between 27 and 4. There really does not look like a good way to do it.

I was looking at google earth and it was hard to tell but is there a way to come in from the other direction. Head down Reagan toward US 92 and come in from the east side so you could avoid they highway intersections? It looked like there might be some small roads that way that might work that would not add to much mileage.

As far as the bike goes. I agree with what is said about fit and being near a campus there are probably all kinds of good deals now that schools out. I would look for more of a touring bike that has eyelets for racks and such. When you have to carry gear and clothes it nice to have the room. A backpack or commuter bag is a hassle.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

If I was to go back to 92 It would just blast the entire idea since its almost twice the milage and would make me back track. If there was an access road along side I-4 it would be a straight shot to my store but alas, the world sucks.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
If I was to go back to 92 It would just blast the entire idea since its almost twice the milage and would make me back track. If there was an access road along side I-4 it would be a straight shot to my store but alas, the world sucks.
No I did not mean go all the way to 92 it looked like there might be some roads you could take about halfway between but using google earth it was hard to tell.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

oh.. well.. looks like I am pretty much stuck with driving the car...

Reply  Post New Thread