Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2009, 10:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

silverciv - '01 Honda Civic EX 2dr
90 day: 36.13 mpg (US)
Magnets (as attachment method)

My work was recently throwing out cases of magnets that are used for making fridge magnets. One side has an adhesive and the other is nice and magnetic. Has anyone ever tried to secure something like a grill-block with magnets so that it can be easily removed?

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-05-2009, 11:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Those are too weak
Old 03-05-2009, 11:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ex-lurker

Skeeter - '05 Toyota Corolla LE
90 day: 35.55 mpg (US)
Be kinda hard to magnetize the fake chrome painted plastic of my grill...
Old 03-05-2009, 11:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Depends on where the grill block goes, and how much wind force it gets. The one I use on the Insight just sits in place. (Though magnets wouldn't be much use on an aluminium body anyway.) But if they will hold e.g. real estate advertising signs on doors, they should be ok to say hold in a grille block.

The refrigerator magnets aren't all that weak, since you can have a lot of area. Ever try to pull one straight off, as opposed to peeling it?
Old 03-05-2009, 12:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Depends on where the grill block goes, and how much wind force it gets. The one I use on the Insight just sits in place. (Though magnets wouldn't be much use on an aluminium body anyway.) But if they will hold e.g. real estate advertising signs on doors, they should be ok to say hold in a grille block.

The refrigerator magnets aren't all that weak, since you can have a lot of area. Ever try to pull one straight off, as opposed to peeling it?
A sign on the side of a vehicle has a lot of area though. Each square inch of magnet only has to support one square inch of itself and thin vinyl sign, without much aerodynamic force acting on it. A grill block would be held on by the edges, with a lot of aerodynamic force
Old 03-05-2009, 12:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModder

Big Salsa - '04 Toyota Sienna LE

Silver - '10 Toyota Prius III
since the grill block is being acted on from the front, effectively adding force to the magnet, you might be ok. the fact that your bumper could be plastic is overcome by having an adhesive side on the magnet. If you make it out of coroplast or something just adhere the magnet on it with the adhesive (most refrigerator magnets will stick to each other in either direction), if that doesn't work, just attach a couple light washers that will stick to the magnet. Try to design your grill block to keep it from coming lose and hitting your windshield (or someone else's).
Old 03-05-2009, 02:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Daily Driver - '02 Pontiac Grand Prix SE
90 day: 18.45 mpg (US)
I find old harddrives and rip the magnets out of them. I use them to hold down windshield covers when it snows. So far only 40mph+ gusts have been able to "move" the magnets. I've never had the cover fly off. Even the small flat ones work well, but I prefer the thicker beefy ones.

If all else fails, order up some rare earth magnets from a website. $3-5 for ones strong enough to hold just about anything you'd need down.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatt View Post
since the grill block is being acted on from the front, effectively adding force to the magnet, you might be ok. the fact that your bumper could be plastic is overcome by having an adhesive side on the magnet. If you make it out of coroplast or something just adhere the magnet on it with the adhesive (most refrigerator magnets will stick to each other in either direction), if that doesn't work, just attach a couple light washers that will stick to the magnet. Try to design your grill block to keep it from coming lose and hitting your windshield (or someone else's).
Those magnets are REALLY weak. A little bit of airflow going under the block would blow it upward easily.

If you want to stick something on your car to attach something else temporarily, you could use Velcro. Don't count on being able to remove the adhesive from your paint though, although a heat gun may help.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
For extra holding power or versatility, you can have a magnet on the addition meet another one glued to the plastic, al, or steel. Much depends on aero loads - I wouldn't use them for fender skirts; the wind can get behind those, unlike door signs.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Hm... I wish I worked for an employer that threw away cool stuff.

Reply  Post New Thread