Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2018, 07:56 PM   #21 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Big bad jeep is worried the non street legal side by side jeep is going to under cut wrangler sales?
Idk about that.
Remember we live in a closed non-free market

Kei cars were banned for off road import for what ?
5 years?

It’s all fun and games until someone important gets their feelings hurt.

That’s why we have the truly ignorant grey market laws, certain overseas car makers were butthurt over older used versions of cars they wouldn’t import here coming over anyway by the hundreds!
Good lord, 100’s of cars!

So boo hoo Ronald Reagan lets ban grey market cars.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
Daschicken (03-19-2020), jcp123 (09-06-2018)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-03-2018, 11:12 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
And after discussing this on some other forums I was pointed to this:
https://www.cummins.com/engines/repower

$9000 shipped includes wiring harness, computer, starter, alternator, power steering pump, and go pedal. 161 hp and 267 ft-lbs.

Old 09-03-2018, 11:17 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Economy Saturn - '02 Saturn L200
Sad to say I like my old 6.5/ 700r4 the only wires needed are to power turn on the pump and run the lockup.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:29 PM   #24 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
The motor is nothing if not massively robust, so probably a good shout for tractors and other similar applications.
I haven't seen so many older Peugeots with that engine anymore, but I know they do last forever. When it comes to tractors, since at similar power ratings I'm more used to see lower-revving larger-displacement engines, that's what surprised me the most to figure out this very same engine was also used in tractors.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:18 AM   #25 (permalink)
Just cruisin’ along

Beater Echo - '00 Toyota Echo
90 day: 42.67 mpg (US)

Hondizzle - '97 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.55 mpg (US)

Shaggin Waggin - '14 Chrysler Town + Country
90 day: 22.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
I haven't seen so many older Peugeots with that engine anymore, but I know they do last forever. When it comes to tractors, since at similar power ratings I'm more used to see lower-revving larger-displacement engines, that's what surprised me the most to figure out this very same engine was also used in tractors.
Big trucks, too. I run 1350rpm at 63mph (what's that, 102kph?). My truck is at 503,000 miles and runs great...at this point it's has a coolant leak fixed and a DPF filter replaced, but the engine is still sound.

Granted it's artificially limited to 1550 rpm and redlines at 1800, and the engine alone weighs 3000lbs, or more than a Subaru BRZ and mounted in-chassis sits at my eye level. But there's gotta be something to the low rev count.

'97 Honda Civic DX Coupe 5MT - dead 2/23
'00 Echo - dead 2/17
'14 Chrysler Town + Country - My DD, for now
'67 Mustang Convertible - gone 1/17
Old 09-07-2018, 12:32 AM   #26 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Granted it's artificially limited to 1550 rpm and redlines at 1800, and the engine alone weighs 3000lbs, or more than a Subaru BRZ and mounted in-chassis sits at my eye level.
Then it becomes a whole different matter. Well, I actually like some lower-revving big engines, but in a vehicle similar to the Roxor something like a Cummins 4BT or the ISB4.5 would make it too nose-heavy and make it get stuck more frequently. Downsizing vs. downrevving doesn't leave room for some one-size-fits-all approach.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:13 AM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

That Cummins 2.8 I posted above weighs 500 pounds with all accessories. It can make a lot more power with a tune and intercooler too.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:18 AM   #28 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Recently found out the Roxor and the Mahindra tractors don't use the same Peugeot-designed engine which used to be fitted to Brazilian and Uruguayan versions of the Bolero/Cimarrón and the Scorpio. Actually it's based on an even older International Harvester design.
The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
Hersbird (03-12-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 07:52 AM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Goldie - '11 Toyota Prius
90 day: 48.93 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
That Cummins 2.8 I posted above weighs 500 pounds with all accessories. It can make a lot more power with a tune and intercooler too.
I own an old toyota winnebago and explored the idea of swapping my 22r to this engine. There is a company that specializes in diesel swaps into toyotas called “dieseltoys”. The following quote is from their website and changed my mind.

https://dieseltoys.com/4bt-engine-conversions

“When Cummins announced the R2.8 crate engine program at SEMA in 2016. These sounded like the ultimate setup. Among the many features promised, we were told that these brand new crate engines would carry an emissions compliance certificate, and legendary Cummins reliability. We were excited! The Cummins reps that we spoke to at the SEMA show were also touting a $5000-6000 purchase price which was really unbelievable. So, we quietly began researching anything we could find on the platform. We purchased a complete 2.8 ISF from overseas, flew overseas to speak with people with real-world experience with these engines, explored reliability numbers, and even completed a prototype conversion. Our findings were NOT good…

The R2.8 is entirely built and assembled in China. Starting in 2009, the 2.8 ISF engines were licensed and installed into Chinese Foton Tunland pickups. The 2.8 ISF has an absolutely TERRIBLE reputation overseas. Premature connecting rod failures, bad injectors, turbocharger failures, the list goes on and on. In fact, everyone we spoke with about the 2.8 had nothing but bad things to say about them. Next, we went at this from a parts perspective. We wanted to know once the Cummins warranty runs out, how difficult are parts to get for these things? Impossible in fact. We found that the ONLY vendors selling parts are Chinese vendors on Alibaba.com and they all wanted wire transfer payments and none of them spoke English. Since these engines are not sold here, nobody stocks parts. We asked Cummins directly if they would sell us parts and they don’t even find most of the parts for these engines in their system. So, on parts that was also a FAIL.

In late 2017, Cummins finally released the R2.8 Crate Engine Program. Sadly, Cummins had almost doubled their initial price estimate than what we were told at the SEMA show, the engines carry no emissions compliance certificates for vehicles newer than 1999, and incredibly only carries a 90 DAY WARRANTY! We were floored…With a purchase price just shy of $10,000 and a warranty that will run out before you get it installed, what is their target market? The R2.8 Crate Engine Program includes no provisions for transmission, no controllers for anything, no cooling system, nothing. For $10k all you’re getting is an engine with a piggy-back wire harness and accelerator pedal. That’s it. This means that putting that engine into ANYTHING other than a 20 year-old Jeep will require a ton of development, a standalone transmission controller, air conditioning system provisions, cooling system, air cleaner, intercooler system, mounting system, adapters for the transmission, the list goes on and on. Most modern (2005+) vehicles have computers for pretty much everything. Getting cruise control, air conditioning, ABS systems to all work with the R2.8 will require custom computer boxes with custom-code written in them. This means EXPENSIVE…

Sadly, in our opinion the Cummins R2.8 Crate Engine Program is DOA. They are crazy expensive, will be an extraordinarily difficult installation as everything will need to be hand-built, and only carry a 90-day warranty. We have been in the diesel conversion business for almost 15 years so our experience is unmatched in the industry. From a professional conversion company’s perspective, the Cummins R2.8 conversions will LOOK like conversions and will not have the stock fit & finish we’re known for. Franken-swaps are not in our DNA and we don’t feel that is something paying customers want. We asked ourselves, “who on earth wants to pay to install a Chinese R2.8 engine into their Toyota when they can get a factory Toyota D-4D engine with legendary reliability and power for less money”? Our approach has always been minimalist as nothing can compare to the factory designed stuff and the more one deviates from this the more the conversion starts looking like a franken-swap and the reliability of the finished product goes way down.”
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yippeekyaa For This Useful Post:
Hersbird (03-12-2020), MeteorGray (03-14-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 10:27 AM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sounds like buying a Roxor and taking the engine and transmission would be a better deal. I bet you could still get over $8k for the rest. Which means you got a small diesel and a 5 speed, with all electronics brand new for $7k

Reply  Post New Thread