Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2022, 04:10 PM   #151 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
curve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase View Post
im actually going to have to add a slight curve for the lower half of the skirts for clearance. the posterboard was actually touching the tires in this picture

how much clearance should i allow from the tire itself? about a full inch? can i bend the arrows smoothly without snapping them?
Ooooh! That's good! Curve = strength!
A bending jig could be fashioned, and with the arrow shaft secured at one end, use a heat gun on 'low' to get the epoxy binder to yield, allowing the shaft to slowly bend to the curvature, hopefully without buckling.
Should that happen, fill them with sand for the heat bending. Let them cool and take the new 'set' before you release tension.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-18-2022, 04:26 PM   #152 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
I'm hoarding two dishes. Once I figure out how to roll the flanged edge appropriately halving one would suit the XFi. If you're rolling by on I-5 we might agree on a neutral location.

They may be small, at most a half-skirt, but they're rigid.

I have some fiberglass skirts for the Superbeetle, but they're Foxcraft reproductions and I think they're too flat. I was going to use a Dish antenna for a mold and make curved caps to re-contour them.

The plan so far is to start with a curved tube with flattened ends that fit into fixtures at the front and back. Drop in at an angle and turn upright to lock it in, then a single locking tab at the top. Probably from a Type II gas door with the churchkey.

Old 04-18-2022, 04:40 PM   #153 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Black Bullet - '19 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I'm hoarding two dishes. Once I figure out how to roll the flanged edge appropriately halving one would suit the XFi. If you're rolling by on I-5 we might agree on a neutral location.

They may be small, at most a half-skirt, but they're rigid.

I have some fiberglass skirts for the Superbeetle, but they're Foxcraft reproductions and I think they're too flat. I was going to use a Dish antenna for a mold and make curved caps to re-contour them.

The plan so far is to start with a curved tube with flattened ends that fit into fixtures at the front and back. Drop in at an angle and turn upright to lock it in, then a single locking tab at the top. Probably from a Type II gas door with the churchkey.
im up and down i5 on the regular. from portland to seattle to eugene and roseburg

so far it seems like aluminum with the bent/curved carbon arrows inside seems to be the easiest

https://youtu.be/_ww5TIOPNy4

this guy did some for his prius in seattle/tacoma but bolted on the outside frame of the body. ideally id like to figure out inserting into the edge of the wheel wells to have a cleaner OEM look without screws sticking out
The Following User Says Thank You to Phase For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-18-2022)
Old 04-18-2022, 06:31 PM   #154 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I'm amazed that he got that black gloss finish after he bent the metal with his thumbs.

I measured the larger Dish antenna. It's 24x25.5" not counting a 1" flange.

Old 04-18-2022, 11:20 PM   #155 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

quick pencil photoshop

side mirror delete

rear wheel spats

and top extended lower spoiler and rear diffuser coming out of smooth undertray. didnt know how to photoshoop side rear spoilers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1566898280_hyundai-ioniq.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	31952   Click image for larger version

Name:	edithyu.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	31953  
aerohead (04-21-2022)
Old 04-19-2022, 01:44 AM   #156 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Cx9 - '18 Mazda CX9 Grand Touring
90 day: 31.41 mpg (US)

Prius - '10 Toyota Prius III
90 day: 57.8 mpg (US)

Tundra - '00 Tundra V6 long bed base work truck
90 day: 19.4 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase View Post
Idk if you saw my other thread post, but I mentioned having xpel xr plus super nano ceramic 1300 dollar window tints all around the car. I never have to put the fan speed on high, even when it’s 120 degrees outside in Phoenix. Usually fan speed is lowest setting. Maybe 2 bars of fan speed if I’m driving direct into the sun in the afternoon.
Wouldn't it be better to have the fan on a higher speed and the A/C on the higher temperature?
Old 04-19-2022, 12:53 PM   #157 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
Wouldn't it be better to have the fan on a higher speed and the A/C on the higher temperature?
No because all ACs essentially bring the air temperature down to 35 degrees give or take. Then uses the engine heat to heat back up to the desired temperature you want. Putting the ac on 60 vs 75 uses less energy because the engine has to turn on to heat that air up another 15 degrees before putting it into the cabin

Fan speed drains the batteries much faster

For example, if I had the ac on the lowest fan speed, it may take 2-3 minutes for one little hybrid battery bar to go down. If I crank the speed to the max, I can see a battery bar drop every 20 seconds
Drifter (04-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 03:02 AM   #158 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Cx9 - '18 Mazda CX9 Grand Touring
90 day: 31.41 mpg (US)

Prius - '10 Toyota Prius III
90 day: 57.8 mpg (US)

Tundra - '00 Tundra V6 long bed base work truck
90 day: 19.4 mpg (US)
So an hour of so of googling comes up with conflicting answers. The SAE says to keep the temperature low and slow the fan speed as necessary:

Quote:
Initially the A/C should be set for max full cold, highest fan speed. As the interior of the cabin begins to reach some level of comfort, reduce the fan speed to the desired comfort and noise level.
https://www.sae.org/standardsdev/tsb.../mobile_ac.pdf

But further research indicates it is more complicated:
Quote:
Some cars simply clutch the compressor on and off constantly to maintain the correct refrigerant pressure and, consequently, the appropriate cooling. Others use variable displacement compressors, and still others use a throttling valve in the refrigerant line. It gets more complicated: Some vehicles, especially ones with automatic temperature controls, use air heated in the heater core to blend with cold air from the evaporator to control the temperature of the outlet air. And if that sounds like it's inherently inefficient, it is.
https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...12178/4281039/

I know my older Toyotas with rotary dial temperature controls would cycle the compressor on & off (you could feel & hear the compressor cycling on - especially idling at a stop light). So that's why I always ran the fan on high (to maximize "wind chill" while minimizing compressor run time).

I don't feel my prius cycle the compressor, but it runs on electricity rather than off the engine. I think it uses a variable compressor, but maybe it blends with heater instead? I'd think they would go for maximum efficiency though and avoid that waste. I'd assume your ionic does likewise?

Edit: You are right! The Prius does have a variable speed compressor, BUT even with that Toyota still uses an "air mix damper servo" to run some of air conditioned air through the heater to achieve the desired temperature. Crazy!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E266253E02(1).jpg
Views:	592
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	31962   Click image for larger version

Name:	E394656C02.png
Views:	96
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	31963  

Last edited by Drifter; 04-20-2022 at 03:46 AM..
Old 04-20-2022, 01:28 PM   #159 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
So an hour of so of googling comes up with conflicting answers. The SAE says to keep the temperature low and slow the fan speed as necessary:

https://www.sae.org/standardsdev/tsb.../mobile_ac.pdf

But further research indicates it is more complicated:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...12178/4281039/

I know my older Toyotas with rotary dial temperature controls would cycle the compressor on & off (you could feel & hear the compressor cycling on - especially idling at a stop light). So that's why I always ran the fan on high (to maximize "wind chill" while minimizing compressor run time).

I don't feel my prius cycle the compressor, but it runs on electricity rather than off the engine. I think it uses a variable compressor, but maybe it blends with heater instead? I'd think they would go for maximum efficiency though and avoid that waste. I'd assume your ionic does likewise?

Edit: You are right! The Prius does have a variable speed compressor, BUT even with that Toyota still uses an "air mix damper servo" to run some of air conditioned air through the heater to achieve the desired temperature. Crazy!

Yeah I guess my Ioniq is the same as prius. Ac runs off the giant hybrid battery. So I just keep it at a low fan speed with good insulation at the lowest temp so it doesn’t have to reheat the air. What I love about the Ioniq ac being connected to the battery versus my old 2014 Elantra I used to have, is the battery powered ac is instant. I remember the old days of having to drive the car for a few minutes while the ac blew hot air. Now it’s just instant ice cold air. Which is nice with a black car
Old 04-20-2022, 02:02 PM   #160 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Quote:
Tree of life
Kabbalah
The tree of life is a diagram used in various mystical traditions. It usually consists of 10 nodes symbolizing different archetypes and 22 lines connecting the nodes. The nodes are often arranged into three columns to represent that they belong to a common category.Wikipedia
What's going on here? The Neural Network Operation Range is the Sephirot?

That second diagram looks a lot like the Model Y's Octovalve.

Reply  Post New Thread