Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2022, 11:40 PM   #211 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
freebeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: northwest of normal
Posts: 26,597
Thanks: 7,490
Thanked 8,292 Times in 6,817 Posts
Go to your user profile and create one or more albums there. Try to keep some organization, you can't move things around later.

There are also attachments but they are [probably] one-time use. You can quote from the album any time you need to.

The Beetle with bu*t trumpets was from my Imgur album. It's a backup.

__________________
.
.
Without freedom of speech we wouldn't know who all the idiots are. -- anonymous poster

____________________

The best accident is no accident -- Elon Musk
  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 04-27-2022, 01:13 PM   #212 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Phase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: oregon
Posts: 909

Black Bullet - '19 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Blue
Thanks: 1
Thanked 465 Times in 378 Posts
https://uk.motor1.com/news/185349/ec...ai-ioniq-sema/

Read over the list of mods they did. This one claims 100 mpg. Sounds like bull. Wonder how they did the rear wheel cover with no visible bolts

I thought front splitters increase downforce and performance but increase drag? Wonder why they put it there

The side skirts that lead to the rear wheel kind of look cool, but are they practical? Would there be any benefits for adding some?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ACEE8210-7D3E-4251-8490-82BA634A5667.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	32009  
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Phase For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-28-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 10:35 AM   #213 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
aerohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sanger,Texas,U.S.A.
Posts: 15,560
Thanks: 23,686
Thanked 7,042 Times in 4,516 Posts
Model S Plaid diffuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase View Post
what about tesla model s plaid? its high performance and the CD is 0.20 and low drag. look at its rear diffuser

I've looked under different Models S's ( owners have been generous enough to let me 'geek-out' while they charge).
Not the Plaid though. Haven't seen one in the flesh yet.
The one's I've seen are all 'shallow,' just as Wolf F. Hucho recommended.
If you'll look at the diffuser extension on the Cd 0.1716 Mercedes-Benz EQXX concept, you'll notice that they also use a 'shallow' diffuser.
The GAC ENO. 146 as well.
__________________
Photobucket album: http://s1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj622/aerohead2/
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 10:44 AM   #214 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
aerohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sanger,Texas,U.S.A.
Posts: 15,560
Thanks: 23,686
Thanked 7,042 Times in 4,516 Posts
100 mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase View Post
https://uk.motor1.com/news/185349/ec...ai-ioniq-sema/

Read over the list of mods they did. This one claims 100 mpg. Sounds like bull. Wonder how they did the rear wheel cover with no visible bolts

I thought front splitters increase downforce and performance but increase drag? Wonder why they put it there

The side skirts that lead to the rear wheel kind of look cool, but are they practical? Would there be any benefits for adding some?
1) They provide no actionable information.
2) No test methodology.
3) Anecdotal.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GM's 1992 Ultralite was reported at 100-mpg,@ a constant 50-mph.
They provided Cd, frontal area, and curb weight. If you calculate for 'real' highway speeds, 100-mpg goes away very fast.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't see any meaningful drag reduction/ mpg capability for the Bismoto package.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4) Rear skirts are a definite 'YES', especially if you're going to extend the tail.
You must have as much separation-free flow, for the entire length of the car as you can get.
__________________
Photobucket album: http://s1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj622/aerohead2/

Last edited by aerohead; 04-28-2022 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: add data
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 01:37 AM   #215 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Phase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: oregon
Posts: 909

Black Bullet - '19 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Blue
Thanks: 1
Thanked 465 Times in 378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
1) They provide no actionable information.
2) No test methodology.
3) Anecdotal.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GM's 1992 Ultralite was reported at 100-mpg,@ a constant 50-mph.
They provided Cd, frontal area, and curb weight. If you calculate for 'real' highway speeds, 100-mpg goes away very fast.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't see any meaningful drag reduction/ mpg capability for the Bismoto package.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4) Rear skirts are a definite 'YES', especially if you're going to extend the tail.
You must have as much separation-free flow, for the entire length of the car as you can get.
Speaking of separation flow, is there a way to have more aerodynamic door handles? I saw at bonneville for the Ioniq speed record they taped over the door handles. Wish there was an aftermarket way to get Tesla style door handles. I know thatís grasping at straws though lol
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 02:06 AM   #216 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
freebeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: northwest of normal
Posts: 26,597
Thanks: 7,490
Thanked 8,292 Times in 6,817 Posts
Electric solenoids have existed since the 1950s.

duckduckgo.com/?q=electric+car+door+lock+solenoid&ia=web
__________________
.
.
Without freedom of speech we wouldn't know who all the idiots are. -- anonymous poster

____________________

The best accident is no accident -- Elon Musk
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 05:13 PM   #217 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: California
Posts: 166

Cx9 - '18 Mazda CX9 Grand Touring
90 day: 31.41 mpg (US)

Prius - '10 Toyota Prius III
90 day: 57.8 mpg (US)

Tundra - '00 Tundra V6 long bed base work truck
90 day: 19.4 mpg (US)
Thanks: 95
Thanked 90 Times in 61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase View Post
Speaking of separation flow, is there a way to have more aerodynamic door handles? I saw at bonneville for the Ioniq speed record they taped over the door handles. Wish there was an aftermarket way to get Tesla style door handles. I know thatís grasping at straws though lol
Tesla's flush-mounted door handles get stuck easily when you live somewhere with freezing rain.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 01:06 AM   #218 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Phase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: oregon
Posts: 909

Black Bullet - '19 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Blue
Thanks: 1
Thanked 465 Times in 378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
Tesla's flush-mounted door handles get stuck easily when you live somewhere with freezing rain.
i figured its not worth the trouble of changing the door handles. might as well tape them up on super long road trips
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Phase For This Useful Post:
freebeard (04-30-2022)
Old 04-30-2022, 12:25 PM   #219 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Thomasville, GA
Posts: 27
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by basjoos View Post
The easiest way to determine your carís potential for mpg improvement via aeromods is to find out how much your mileage improves when drafting. A removable Reese hitch mounted boat tail would the single biggest potential mpg improver (and can also be used for additional cargo storage space). Beyond that, wheel well covers, double side skirts in combination with wheel spats in front of each wheel and a mini-boat tail behind the back wheel. Since your car starts out with pretty good aerodynamics (0.24 Cd), check your grill opening size, airflow pattern through the engine compartment, and existing underpanelling for potential improvements over the OEM equipment.

I have the same problem with my 0.28 Cd Camry hybrid, great mileage below 60 mph, but big drops in 70+ mph interstate driving. Iím retired, so I donít do much interstate driving, but if I still had a long interstate commute, I would be adding these mods to my Camry.
I made a few mods to my 1999 Chevrolet Metro that included a lower air dam, grill blocks, and also a belly pan that fit from the stabilizer bar to the back bumper. My testing measurements were not exactly scientific as I just recorded mpg at each fill up. The increase in mpg from these mods was only a slight improvement. The belly pan did make the car ride much quieter though. Then I fabricated a partial camback and was surprised when my freeway mpg went from 41 to 47. I thought it was a fluke so i repeated driving a full tank on the highway driving normally and the result was 47 mpg each time. A fifteen % increase in mpg is nothing to sneeze at. At any rate modifying the back of the car is where you will get the most benefit from aero mods. If you could make the front of the car more bullet like you could gain probably as much of an increase.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 12:45 PM   #220 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Phase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: oregon
Posts: 909

Black Bullet - '19 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Blue
Thanks: 1
Thanked 465 Times in 378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by conehead433 View Post
I made a few mods to my 1999 Chevrolet Metro that included a lower air dam, grill blocks, and also a belly pan that fit from the stabilizer bar to the back bumper. My testing measurements were not exactly scientific as I just recorded mpg at each fill up. The increase in mpg from these mods was only a slight improvement. The belly pan did make the car ride much quieter though. Then I fabricated a partial camback and was surprised when my freeway mpg went from 41 to 47. I thought it was a fluke so i repeated driving a full tank on the highway driving normally and the result was 47 mpg each time. A fifteen % increase in mpg is nothing to sneeze at. At any rate modifying the back of the car is where you will get the most benefit from aero mods. If you could make the front of the car more bullet like you could gain probably as much of an increase.
Well the front of my Ioniq already looks like a bullet. Once Iím done with all the mods, Iíll probably nickname my car ď the black bulletĒ lol

  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com