Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2009, 02:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thumbs up Making ur old gearbox and diff more silent.

Dear Hypermilers
I have been experimenting with adding common bathroom silicone sealant to various chemicals,so I tried mixing it with engine oil and was really surprised to find out that they mix very well,then I left the mixture in the open to see if the silicone would gel,surprisingly the mixture did not gel or seperate after 2 months..
My old renault has a really whiny third gear and leaks like a seive.So I mixed one whole clear silicone sealant with two liters of gearbox oil 90w and put it into the gearbox and noticed that the third gear became silent.I went on a 500 km trip with no problems.
I also have a bus with a really noisy diff and I just injected the whole silicone sealant thru the oil hole and the diff became smooth and silent.
I got this idea from reading about some unethical people adding sawdust to make transmissions and diffs silent.Iam not sure this would work on an automatic transmission though.
cheers jarre

why do I write these things u ask? well tough times need tough solutions

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-15-2009, 03:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Oils for pretty much anything (engines, trannies, etc) are specifically chosen for their mechanical properties. If you mess with them, you never know what will happen, but chances are they won't be good. Leave stuff like that up to engineers that know what they are doing.
jarre (11-16-2009)
Old 11-15-2009, 09:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

This reminds me of the time in 9th grade when I fixed fan bearings in computers by cleaning them and the filling them with a special electric motor lubricant. It appeared to work great. Until I actually done that on my own computers, that is. It would work great for about 2 years, then the process had to be redone. They would always be full of some strange goop that made them turn slower than usual. At first, I thought it was just the lubricant drying up over time. However, about a year ago, my best friend Allie Moore pointed out that if I overfill the bearing, the balls in the bearing will create high pressure zones that cause some esters in the lubricant to break down. (She also pointed out that fats are also esters. I guess I could say that too much ester is just as bad for fan bearings as it is for hearts.)

Now I only put a drop of lubricant in the bearings. One fan I have serviced a year ago still seems to spin as smoothly as it should.

Allie Moore and I have a combined carbon footprint much smaller than that of one average American...
The Following User Says Thank You to NiHaoMike For This Useful Post:
jarre (11-16-2009)
Old 11-16-2009, 01:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
This is such a bad idea, silicone caulk in your gear oil? silicone caulk uses an acidic acid base, it will eat away at the soft copper based metals that are used in the bushings on your syncros and in other places in your tranny, it will completely destroy those metals.
If you have old noisy gears the best thing to do is get the gear box rebuilt or replaced, if you want to make it limp along a few years longer you can put thicker gear oil in, or you can add a thickener that is designed for gear oil, something like Lucus Oil conditioner.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryland For This Useful Post:
jarre (11-16-2009)
Old 11-16-2009, 06:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I would not allow jarre within 1 mile of any of my vehicles.

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
jarre (11-16-2009)
Old 11-16-2009, 01:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Well guys I am just trying to improve on things,some times u are right some times u are wrong but we should not stop trying.well accoridingly iam draining the said mixture from my gearbox 2morow.
Guys what about me adding ABRO oil treatment to the gearbox,couple of years back we had a grease shortage in town so what I did was use the ABRO with some vaseline as lubricant for wheel bearings and noticed that they out perform normal grease because the cheap a** bearings I fit always give up after a few months but the ones with the abro\vaseline lube is still working fine.I also tried this mixture on worn cv joints but added some grease to the formula and the cv joints became silent........I wonder what u guys have to say
jarre

Last edited by jarre; 11-16-2009 at 01:14 PM..
Old 11-16-2009, 01:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
If you want information on oil. I suggest going to Bob is the Oil Guy. It has all sort of people who know what they are doing with oil. Read and learn before ya start putting stuff in your oil! You don't want to break stuff because you didn't know.
cfg83 (11-16-2009)
Old 11-16-2009, 11:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Re: wheelbearing lube: I know for a fact that wheelbearings love 80-90 gear oil!

Old 03-04-2010, 05:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Alien Observer

highcountryexplorer - '86 Nissan 720 KC 4x4 ST with fiberglass cap
90 day: 21.78 mpg (US)

Elroy - '03 Ford Focus ZX3 w/Zetec DOHC engine
90 day: 32.89 mpg (US)
Polyisobutylene is a synthetic rubber used in some 2 cycle oils for it's lubricity and because it can control the burn...also used in jet fuel to reduce fire dangers.

Also tested as a fuel additive to possibly increase mpg.

Silicone caulk is a synthetic rubber? I'd be maybe scared sheetless to use it in a trans...but I know of people who use straight boric acid in trans...so no biggie?

I've heard of the use of Restore additive used in a trans....

Vehicle : 1980 Honda Accord w/ 100k miles

I drove my 1980 Accord from about 90,000 miles on. It was 12 years old when I bought it and ran until I drove it into the ground years later. I used Restore in the engine oil and got noticeable, dramatic improvements in horsepower and gas mileage. What I didn't expect was to have Restore save my manual transmission... Somewhere around 100k, the 5-speed manual transmission started making a horrible low-pitched grinding noise whenever it was in gear. The noise was loud and unsettling and got louder with higher speed... I knew it was probably a bearing and it wasn't worth getting a $700 tranny job on a $300 car. So, in a last-ditch effort to squeeze a little more life out of the poor thing, I added a small (4-cylinder sized) can of Restore to the manual transmission oil... I was ASTOUNDED when - in about 300 miles - the grinding noise started to fade. After a month and about 500 miles, it was COMPLETELY GONE! I never heard another peep out of the transmission! I wouldn't recommend this to anyone unless they have no other options (I looked, and Restore does not recommend their product in manual transmissions), but Restore did completely fix a worn-out, dying manual transmission in a 16-year-old Honda. If it can do that, think of what it can do for worn rings and mainshaft bearings. Chris N "

Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years. GALLUP POLL
The Following User Says Thank You to suspectnumber961 For This Useful Post:
bgd73 (03-04-2010)
Old 03-04-2010, 08:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...heck, the old "ill-reputable" used-car dealers used to put dry OATMEAL into a "noisy" (worn out) differential to "quiet" it down.

...and, I'm sure they have something similar up their collective sleeves for todays' "noisey" frontwheel gearboxes.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
noisy diff, noisy gearbox, silicone and oil