Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2022, 09:44 AM   #11 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seuadr View Post
yeah, i'm finding that. i was hoping that having a big 10 university email and hinting that i might be doing research persuade them to discuss, but no bueno so far.
I worked in the auto industry since the mid-90's and work at an automaker today. Nobody has time to deal with college students right now. Supply line issues make every day a challenge and we are still trying to dig out from 2020.

Ahh - random points from a picture. That makes sense now but those terms aren't anywhere near standard in the industry.

Quote:
i'm actually thinking of the same basic idea - trying to find a suitable donor.

I was really looking for something like a Trans Van, but so far they've all been in pretty poor shape so i think it is time to abandon that idea.
As I would expect for a 50 year old vehicle - especially one that lived anywhere near Michigan. (I grew up in Saginaw and most of my family still lives in Michigan)

Quote:
it sounds like you might not have to have any kind of manual interface - a lot of parallel systems seem to just "do their thing" with a throttle input that it sounds like can be captured from the OBD2 port. then it could be full time electric assist - ala honda insight integrated motor assist.
Sure you can - if you can code it. It is also a bit more complicated than picking up the signal from the accelerator. You also need safety interlocks to keep the electric motor for activating when you don't want it to and a program to tie it to battery state of charge to keep from draining the battery too much or overcharging it. It can be done but I'm a middle aged Mechanical Engineer that got a C- in Controls decades ago.

Quote:
been trying to get ahold of them too
To buy one of their conversations? That shouldn't be an issue although they cater to fleets. As a college student to pick their brains - not a chance.

The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
seuadr (08-16-2022)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-16-2022, 09:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post

Ahh - random points from a picture. That makes sense now but those terms aren't anywhere near standard in the industry.
every major component manufacturer i've come across have used those as reference, including valeo, borg warner, eaton, dana, chevy, dodge, infineon, land rover, BMW, etc..

P0 is generally the starter/generator. P1 generally attaches either to, or between the flywheel and the transmission, P2 generally replaces the torque converter with a dual clutch electric motor, or, some manufacturers like kia and chevy put a separate electric motor inside the housing of the transmission, P3 is generally in the tail housing and P4 generally is adapted to, or, replaces the rear differential, but, technically would probably include some of the other setups like 2 individual motors for each rear wheel where there isn't a rear differential.

companies like infineon, valeo and SEG have controllers that are stand alone minus the input for throttle so the battery status and torque vectoring etc are already handled - if you can get one.

from what i've read so far, with the exception of the P2 motors that have clutches, the rest spin all the time, but, don't always regen because the windings aren't excited, and basically the regen control excites the windings to start the regen process, so, they don't seem to care about braking status, just battery status.

but as i say, i haven't really had any luck talking to anyone more familiar with the technology to learn more.

now i am kinda thinking about trying to find a 2009+ chevy hybrid to transplant wholesale into a express/savannah platform...
Old 08-16-2022, 03:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Quote:

but as i say, i haven't really had any luck talking to anyone more familiar with the technology to learn more.
Have I guessed correctly that you are a college student? (From the Big 10 email address - MSU or U of M?) If so SAE could get you in the room or in contact with some industry people. I would not try to bluff your way into a conversation based on pretending to be doing research.

Quote:
now i am kinda thinking about trying to find a 2009+ chevy hybrid to transplant wholesale into a express/savannah platform...
Sounds like a fun project. I'm one of those guys that is into ecomodding to save money and I doubt in the end a hybrid swap would be cheaper than just buying a Duramax Express but it does sound interesting.
Old 08-17-2022, 06:15 AM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Have I guessed correctly that you are a college student? (From the Big 10 email address - MSU or U of M?) If so SAE could get you in the room or in contact with some industry people. I would not try to bluff your way into a conversation based on pretending to be doing research.
No, i work on the facilities side in controls and engineering. I actually work with several of our automotive engineering research groups on a regular basis but none of them have been researching in that field. mostly more efficient ICE and full EV.

Like many here, they feel that hybrid is a dead end. (and they are a lot smarter than me, so, they are probably right..)

Quote:

Sounds like a fun project. I'm one of those guys that is into ecomodding to save money and I doubt in the end a hybrid swap would be cheaper than just buying a Duramax Express but it does sound interesting.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, i'm looking at that direction as well - i think i'd really like to get my hands on that 2.8 duramax but around here cargo vans aren't sold until they have half a million miles and the duct tape is starting to fail

My train of thought was maybe i could find a 2008-2011 with high miles that could be had cheaply. between my circle of friends and the internets, i'm guessing i could do much of the "normal" rebuild/repair work myself - but it looks like the LS motors are popular enough that people are buying them and sticking them in non hybrid vehicles so while there appear to be lots of transmissions out there, not so much engines - and from what i've read so far, the engine IS different from the "regular" 6.0 to enough of an extent that i can't just get my hands on a PCM and flash it or something.

I also haven't been able to confirm if it'd fit in an express anyhow - but it is a fun idea.
Old 08-18-2022, 02:20 AM   #15 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,449 Posts
Quote:
i think i'd really like to get my hands on that 2.8 duramax but around here cargo vans aren't sold until they have half a million miles and the duct tape is starting to fail
At that stage, I guess you'd feel more tempted to consider a full rebuild around a Toyota hybrid powertrain. I guess you already know about a member who did it with a Chevy truck from the '40s and a 1st-gen Prius drivetrain.
Old 08-18-2022, 07:19 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
At that stage, I guess you'd feel more tempted to consider a full rebuild around a Toyota hybrid powertrain. I guess you already know about a member who did it with a Chevy truck from the '40s and a 1st-gen Prius drivetrain.
i thought he transplanted the chevy body onto a prius frame?
Old 08-18-2022, 10:26 AM   #17 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,111 Times in 980 Posts
Don't need the whole truck, they get wrecked fairly often and there is a booming aftermarket replacement/ remanufactured effort.
Old 08-18-2022, 10:54 AM   #18 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Quote:
Yeah, i'm looking at that direction as well - i think i'd really like to get my hands on that 2.8 duramax but around here cargo vans aren't sold until they have half a million miles and the duct tape is starting to fail
A good reason not to buy a cargo van from the Midwest - if the massive amounts of rust isn't a good enough reason.

There are plenty of used cargo vans on Car Guru with less than 100K miles.
Old 08-19-2022, 03:07 AM   #19 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,449 Posts
Quote:
i thought he transplanted the chevy body onto a prius frame?
He joined the front section of the Prius floorpan with the rear section of the Chevy frame IIRC.
Old 08-19-2022, 12:38 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,573 Times in 7,059 Posts
ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/1946-chevy-prius-truck-34935.html

Reply  Post New Thread