Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2011, 09:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
Thank you very much!
To be clear, I would need both side cams installed but never need to see all three cams at once. I would rather have the biggest split screen and chose between left or right side cams as needed.
When backing the far side is blind, the near side is totally covered by the mirror.
That brings up my next question. Do you want to mount the side cams on the truck or on the travel trailer? If you mount them on the truck you lose sight of either side past a certain angle but you have them for the truck all the time.

If you mount them on the sides of the trailer all the way to the front, then when you back up at an extreme angle you still have 'eyes' on what would ordinarily be your blind side, but they don't see traffic next to the truck. The other thing is, if you mount them all on the trailer you'll need one more trailer connector to hook it all up. Or you use one big Deutsch connector. Not a big deal just details.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-31-2011, 09:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
My video mirrors are about 3 years old, and the main challenge I have had is the camera longevity and the monitors dealing with heat. I now have LED backlit 7" monitors and they are much better than the first set which ran hot, and they get dimmer and dimmer as they heated up. The glare and loss of contrast in direct sunlight and the heat made them very hard to use.

The other issue is having a camera lens that is *too* wide angle. This adds a lot of barrel distortion and shrinks objects, so they look farther away than they are. I can deal with a camera with 100-120 degrees of view, but more than that is a problem, and less would be great, but you probably cannot find one with say 90 degrees or less. Having the camera be 4:3 image with the 16:10 screens actually helps "re-expand" the horizontal size of other vehicles.

Wiring needs to be robust. The cameras I have used all have power wires that are concentric rather than paired wires, so pinching them can cause a short. I had this blow the clutch cutoff switch fuse, so I could not start my car... So routing of wires is important, and relieving stress when the wires are bent (say at the door) is also important to consider.
More details, which is what makes the difference between a good or great camera system, or just having cameras. The side cameras we use we order special with 50 degree FOV (field of view) lenses just for the reason you point out. Anything much bigger makes things look three times further away than they are, and so small you need a magnifying glass to see what they are. Cables are key to longevity. We used to have our specially built but found a supplier who builds them in large quantites and so are more cost effective. They use M12 connectors, which are water proof, metal at the joint, and factory overmolded for max strain relief.

When you run wires through a door or tail gate you do it like the factory does, you do it so when the door moves the wire is twisted lengthwise, instead of bending-cross sectionally Open your vehicle door, it will most likely having a harness inside a bellowed boot, you'll see what I mean.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:45 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Woody - '96 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 23.82 mpg (US)

Avion and Woody - '96 Dodge/Avion Ram 2500/5th wheel combo
90 day: 15.1 mpg (US)

TD eye eye eye - '03 Volkswagen Beetle GLS
90 day: 49.05 mpg (US)

Mule - '07 Dodge Ram 3500 ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post

The alternative "solution" is mirrors large enough and of sufficient quantity to match what video could do.
There is not a mirror made that will show me the far side of my trailer when backing a corner.
That is what I'm after, enhanced vision while backing. Heading down the road I'm all mirror all the time, the monitor will likely be folded away.

Quote:
Do you want to mount the side cams on the truck or on the travel trailer? If you mount them on the truck you lose sight of either side past a certain angle but you have them for the truck all the time.
Absolutely on the trailer front corners. With a 50 degree angle camera there I can see the spot that disappears in a back in. The single cam in the back plus the far side cam plus the near mirror = perfection.
My wife gets out and helps, but by the time she lets me know while backing a tight spot that I need to stop, I've wasted a lot of time. Better to see and fix things early on, rather than get totally bound up and try and fix that.
I have a wireless cam that can't quite penetrate all the trailer structure when straight on, I need to move the transmitter forward and try again. It hooks to my in dash DVD.
If I can get that functional enough, maybe a split monitor and cabling and two cams will do.

2007 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 with 6MT
2003 TDI Beetle
2002 TDI Beetle

currently parked - 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins Turbodiesel
Custom cab, auto, 3.55 gears
Old 11-02-2011, 08:01 AM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Trouble with blind-side backing, hey? There's nothing like it with a 13' tall 53' long trailer, especially into a narrow spot between two others. Avoid at all costs . . except when you have to.

While the camera[s] is [are] a good idea, it won't be perfect: depth perception will still come into play. One will still have to get out and walk back to check.

While traveling, it would be good thing to have "blind spot" coverage to supplement the mirrors, even if only at trailer rear.

I think you can't go wrong, overall, even with the addition of one.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:26 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Absolutely on the trailer front corners. With a 50 degree angle camera there I can see the spot that disappears in a back in. The single cam in the back plus the far side cam plus the near mirror = perfection. .

We did that on a 53' reefer for a guy, he loved it. When I get back to Tucson I'll post some photos of that, it was cool. I was backing that thing all over the place. It also had a nose camera on the Kenworth cab, which saved his bacon once, side mirror cameras, a 5th wheel hitch cam, a windshield data recorder, a 4 channel mobile dvr and a camera on the back of the reefer. Tried to get some video of it and my camcorder died.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:57 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding spendthrift

WindedWarrior - '12 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 33.46 mpg (US)
I was thinking you could link the selector switch to your blinkers. It would be kind of cool to just flip on a blinker and have the correct camera selected. Back in 2003 I worked in a car audio shop. We installed video all the time. The biggest thing to think about when installing the cables is twist rate, extra slack and taping together all connectors. Zip tie cables to hold points before and after the door boot. If your cables are exposed to a section of metal or other sharp surface, wrap them in electrical tape. Also avoid running power lines along same side as AV lines. Run them on opposite sides of the car.

Aside from an indash camera, they make video monitors built into rear view mirrors. It's the best place for a camera like this. The screens are still quite big and very clear. I suggest looking into them. It's a natural place for the camera and it's not illegal in some states where dash monitors are. You can also feed video to watch sponge bob on the rear view, if you really want to.

"May the wind always be at your back and the sun always upon your face. May the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars."
~ Boston George

Last edited by TXwaterdog; 11-02-2011 at 12:04 PM..
Old 11-02-2011, 02:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Woody - '96 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 23.82 mpg (US)

Avion and Woody - '96 Dodge/Avion Ram 2500/5th wheel combo
90 day: 15.1 mpg (US)

TD eye eye eye - '03 Volkswagen Beetle GLS
90 day: 49.05 mpg (US)

Mule - '07 Dodge Ram 3500 ST
I think ORbywan and I can come up with a monitor that either folds down or stashes some other way, I'll get some pics going.

2007 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 with 6MT
2003 TDI Beetle
2002 TDI Beetle

currently parked - 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins Turbodiesel
Custom cab, auto, 3.55 gears
Old 11-02-2011, 07:33 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Team Cummins
Quote:
I think ORbywan and I can come up with a monitor that either folds down or stashes some other way, I'll get some pics going.
I think most of all you found the right guy!!
Old 12-10-2011, 02:30 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Skyking, I apologize, ever since I got back from SEMA we have been slammed. 14 hour + days, six days a week with an occasional Sunday off, once in a while, to go for a quad ride or work on my aero project. Responses to these threads usually show up in my email and I haven't had any so I figured everyone was busy also.

I managed to restructure the base of my boat tail and add a massive hitch extension, which so far is working like a champ. Haven't had time to post photos of that either, it's just been crazy.

Anyway, if you want to talk about this more or need more info I'm not dead, just going like a crazy person. Anyway, if you send some photos of your dash I'm sure we can figure out where to put a monitor. I just got some cool 5.6 monitors in that have four camera inputs. These days monitors that have more than two inputs usually have trigger wires on each circuit. You put power to the trigger wire and viola!, the monitor will default to that camera, thus the hit the left turn signal and the left mirror camera comes up on the monitor routine, and/or having your back up camera auto-reverse default when you put it in reverse.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:32 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Team Cummins
I figured SEMA had been a good thing, so glad for you that was the case. There's a thread on AIR I follow that keeps me thinking of cameras and their improving abilities. Look forward to pics and more reports.

Reply  Post New Thread