Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2011, 03:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
The PRC.

Mk2 Prius

Hi,

I posted this in another thread but it went quiet.

I may be going after a Mk2 Prius (2007-2009) soon - maybe 20-40K miles. What should I look for and avoid ?

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-29-2011, 03:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Toyota in general, but I really don't like them at all. Yes I've owned more than one and wish I never did.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
The PRC.

Does this mean they are good or bad, or Toyotas in general are dodgy (I always thought the opposite) ?
Old 03-30-2011, 01:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Someone sounds a little bitter . I too have owned a few (5) Toyotas and have nothing but good things to say about them. The repairs are nearly nonexistant and the mileage is great. Of course, one of them is a 2nd gen Prius. Going with a 2007 aleviates some of the issues they had in the first couple years. There are a couple things to look for, but nothing really horrible if you miss it.

First the 12V lead acid battery tends to die pretty consistently after ~5 years. If you can, use your SG and check the voltage with the car off see what resting voltage it is at. It should be 12.6-12.7V. I just replaced the one in my 2004 before winter and it was down to 12.2 - 12.3V. It still started, but we all know winter takes its toll on batteries. However, if you're looking at the 07+ you shouldn't really have to worry about this.

Second, if it has HID lights, they added a sensor on the rear axle beam to aim the headlights down if you're carrying a heavy load in the trunk. This prevents you from blinding other drivers. This sensor was redesigned (not exactly sure when), but the first version had issues with water leaking into it and corroding the electrical bits. Its an OEM replacement that you need to buy, and it costs a fair amount for what is essentially a potentiometer. If you catch it early enough, you can manually repair the damage and seal the sensor up with some silicon.

Other than that all I can say is it is an amazing vehicle. I don't think I'd trade it for anything else on the road today (besides maybe an EV).
Arragonis (03-30-2011)
Old 03-30-2011, 05:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Mistress - '88 Bmw 320i Touring SE
Team m8
Last 3: 27.17 mpg (US)

Germany Beadle - '91 Mercedes 300td (estate, N/A)
90 day: 24.63 mpg (US)

The Bloodylingo - '05 Citroen Berlingo Multispace Desire
90 day: 39.77 mpg (US)

Shanner Scaab - '03 Saab 9-5 estate Vector
90 day: 26.19 mpg (US)

Clio 182 - '05 Renault Clio RS 182 182
90 day: 31.73 mpg (US)
Right, time for a glass of perspective here

Firstly,

What type of environment do you do most of your driving in?

How often do you use the car per day (e.g. twice- once to work, once back)?

What's the maximum distance you'd expect to use THIS car from your home?

What parking facilities do you have? (i know parts of Edinburgh where and Aygo would struggle with on street parking!)

Essentially what I'm driving at is this...

Is a Prius going to be a better option than your current diseasal destroyer, or a fully EV?

Short hops/town only driving/50 miles max from home would be EV material

Long haul= diseasal

and secondly.. is your name Kenneth?(dont worry its an old Billy Connolly joke!)

Why not get a nearly new (i know the boss has issues with OLD cars (>4yrs) fabia 1.4 TDI?

It'll take Jnr, and according to what i'm seeing lately, it sippeth the fuel...

I'm not saying dont get a prius, i'm just asking if its right
The Following User Says Thank You to 320touring For This Useful Post:
Arragonis (03-30-2011)
Old 03-30-2011, 05:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Other than that all I can say is it is an amazing vehicle. I don't think I'd trade it for anything else on the road today (besides maybe an EV).
Thanks - I shall check for those items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320touring View Post
Right, time for a glass of perspective here:
Yep Well, slipping into the "local banter" , I "ken" what you are saying. (I will be shot when I return to the colonial fort later...)

What type of environment do you do most of your driving in?
Most days time wise its 50/50 city stop & start and bypass, distance its 20/80.

How often do you use the car per day (e.g. twice- once to work, once back)?
At least twice per day for the commute. At least one local trip (as in central belt) a week and maybe one or 2 trips farther a month. I also use the car on weekends for the family taxi service.

What's the maximum distance you'd expect to use THIS car from your home?
How far is St Ives from Edinburgh ? No really, my job is that varied. Its just rare perhaps.

What parking facilities do you have? (i know parts of Edinburgh where and Aygo would struggle with on street parking!)
Thankfully I don't live in the controlled parking zones and would move before living there

Is a Prius going to be a better option than your current diseasal destroyer, or a fully EV? Short hops/town only driving/50 miles max from home would be EV material
I am not sure. I am tempted after sampling the Boss's Auris Hybrid. I got into it and after working out the gear, er, lever (its actually a little stumpy thing...) you just sit back and press one pedal to go and one to stop. Everything else including switching off at stop is done for you. Simples. And I AM lazy

Plus of course if the Mrs gets one then its family rivalry

And then again this morning I mashed an annoying Audi. Yes I know.

Why not get a nearly new (i know the boss has issues with OLD cars (>4yrs) fabia 1.4 TDI?
Or indeed a 1.2 Greenline2 if I could find one used ?

I'm not saying dont get a prius, i'm just asking if its right
I know what you mean, its a little bit like admitting you do serious drugs like Night Nurse for Man Flu instead of whiskey and an early night, or that you sometimes sing along to 'Dancing Queen' when your car only plays <insert name of cool band here - I have a Kula Shaker thing on at the mo> or that you kind of like Star Wars Episode 3 when you know deep down that the original Episode 4 was the best.

I am torn. If I go for the Aygo/C1/107 then I save some cash but have to put up with a noisy, slower but superb MPG car for longer trips - I'm sure I could get 80+ MPG from one. But I have money for more tech toys and toys are good.

If I get a Prius then I have to grow a Goatee and wear pullovers knitted from wool made from my own belly button fluff but I get to just relax in a cloud of smugness and inaction as it wafts from A to B.

If I buy a new style Fabia (or Polo) I have to retire and lose my memory like my neighbour. Its alll so confusing.

And there is of course the FIAT 500 TwinAir. Hmmm.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Mistress - '88 Bmw 320i Touring SE
Team m8
Last 3: 27.17 mpg (US)

Germany Beadle - '91 Mercedes 300td (estate, N/A)
90 day: 24.63 mpg (US)

The Bloodylingo - '05 Citroen Berlingo Multispace Desire
90 day: 39.77 mpg (US)

Shanner Scaab - '03 Saab 9-5 estate Vector
90 day: 26.19 mpg (US)

Clio 182 - '05 Renault Clio RS 182 182
90 day: 31.73 mpg (US)
On the "Greenline" front, dont forget the Seat Ibiza 1.4 Tdi

Or this

2003 Aixam 500.5 SL Diesel Auto Micro car 15700 mls Other cars wanted GLASGOW Glasgow

but please dont get the 500- I'm nearly as fed up of seeing them as I am of New Mini's..

Its like an epidemic of "look how individual I am" clones..
Old 03-30-2011, 09:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Engineering first

17 i3-REx - '14 BMW i3-REx
Last 3: 45.67 mpg (US)

Blue Bob's - '19 Tesla Std Rng Plus
Hi,

With that many miles, the tires are probably OK but you may want to shop early for low, rolling resistance tires. Now my understanding is the EU practice is to avoid tire rotation so front tires wear out first and are replaced in pairs while the rear tires wear out on a longer schedule. Credible USA sources for tire rolling resistance is poor and I know even less about EU sources on tire rolling resistance.

You may want to consider an engine block heater. When temperatures fall below the 3-5 C range, a block heater can materially improve mileage. Some folks advocate year round block heater usage to handle the universal, cold-start, fuel burn.

BTW, I'm under the impression the EU, NHW20s (your model) do not have a coolant thermos to accelerate ICE warm-up. However, Ken@Japan shared some warm-up data and it has an advanced warm-up profile. Still, the car responds best if lower power is used in the first mile or so during the ICE warm-up.

If the car does not have an EV button, there are many hacks to add one. However, EV mode has marginal use ... primarily to move the car around a parking lot ... and scare the horses. <grins>

Instrumentation helps and I find ICE rpm and coolant temperature to be the two most useful. Coolant temperature because until it reaches 70C, the ICE tend to burn more fuel to improve warm-up. ICE rpm needs to stay under 2,200-2,600 rpm to stay in the high efficiency regions. Higher rpms are not bad but rather ... less good.

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 03-31-2011 at 12:33 AM..
Old 03-31-2011, 02:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320touring View Post
On the "Greenline" front, dont forget the Seat Ibiza 1.4 Tdi

Or this

2003 Aixam 500.5 SL Diesel Auto Micro car 15700 mls Other cars wanted GLASGOW Glasgow

but please dont get the 500- I'm nearly as fed up of seeing them as I am of New Mini's..

Its like an epidemic of "look how individual I am" clones..
Hehe - I even looked at the long term reviews for Axiam a few years ago. They have a Haynes manual of failures - how sad am I.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilson4web View Post
Hi,...
Thanks Bob, all duly noted.