Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2010, 03:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
seeking aero mods

What about this?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aero.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	6772  
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-06-2010, 03:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
Yes! # 2 is more what I was thinking.

I would take the top part all the way to the trailer box (it will reduce the slope and hep keep air attached). For the sides, a gap is not as big of a deal.

Idea 1 is ok, but the slope needs to match the angle of the roof of the trailer to the top of the truck cap. You also do not need the bottom half of the budge, so I would got with your second picture.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
Have you looked at pizza pan covers for the truck & trailer wheels? On my car they helped by 1.5 MPG (3-4%). This might also help the side flow stay attached.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
seeking aero mods

How about any of the pictures attached? I setup some coroplast and played around with it.

I was thinking about putting coroplast over the trailer wheel and rear truck wheel openings, so would I still need the pizza covers?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	test1.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	6774   Click image for larger version

Name:	test1.2.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	6775   Click image for larger version

Name:	test2.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	6776   Click image for larger version

Name:	test4.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	6777   Click image for larger version

Name:	test5.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	6778  

Name:	test3.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	6779   Click image for larger version

Name:	Test6.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	6780  

Last edited by Braebyrn; 09-06-2010 at 05:24 PM..
Old 09-06-2010, 05:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
seeking aero mods

So if I use the last photo (test6), I could use a point in the center on the roof of the trailer with a spring and a large washer. There would be a groove in the flat material to allow the movement from side to side and up and down.

I wonder about curving the sides down somehow to channel the flow around?
Old 09-06-2010, 05:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
I like the side idea pictures, that looks very close to the ideal shape. The others look to me like they would not help at all. If the sides are done to keep the flow attached than the top just needs to go from the cap on the truck to the top of the trailer. The glass part of the cap, when open looks like it is close to the right angle. I would just put a piece of colorplast from that to the top of the trailer and see how it works.

As for the pizza pans, if you do wheel skirts (covering the wheel openings) then the pizza pans will give you only a marginal benefit. They will also get in the way of checking tire pressure. So I would just do the wheel skirts. I might try some pizza pans on the front tires of the truck though as wheel skirts there are a hassle.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braebyrn View Post
So if I use the last photo (test6), I could use a point in the center on the roof of the trailer with a spring and a large washer. There would be a groove in the flat material to allow the movement from side to side and up and down.

I wonder about curving the sides down somehow to channel the flow around?
I missed that pic. Curving the sides down will gain you little since the trailer is so boxy. I slight radius on the side to top transition would not hurt through.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:08 PM   #18 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
Not sure about your top mount idea (I can not picture it in my head) can you draw up or take a pic of you idea?

For the sides, I would attach them to the trailer, and let them slide in and out of the truck bead as you turn (make them long). I would in the truck make a bracket that will hold the material tight up to the truck, but still allow the in/out sliding. I spring to hold it tight in (to the front of the truck) might not be a bad idea.

For the top, attach it to the trailer to so that you can attach the sides and top to each other. I would make the top in two overlapping pieces. the back one would run from the trailer as close to the truck as possible (take turning into consideration). The second piece would be attached to the truck and overlap the back (on top so air does not get under). I would make it so that when turned there is no gap in the top pieces.

Example: put one hand on your other, fingers overlapping, rotate one. this is what the top should be able to do.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
seeking aero mods

I like the idea of the Scania that Robert posted, but I was thinking of something that was simular to the one that I made but maybe out of fiberglass? It would swing on hinges to the passenger side out of the way of the door. Pass. side would be better on busy roads anyway.

It would follow the contour of the entire outline of the trailer to all edges. I don't know if it should be pointed, rounded, or flat on the end. I will put led lights in it for safety. Not sure of the length needed to make such a unit work efficently.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:27 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
slowmover:
You seem to think that safety is more important the FE, I agree. But lets keep on topic of helping Braebyrn get beter FE out of his setup.

He wants to reduce his costs, which is my point throughout the above post. But safety trumps FE in all events. Have you not read of Aeroheads trailer that failed due to a loose lug nut? Destruction trumps pocket money changes. With respect I doubt you've ever run 4000 miles in a month, much less a long week. I have, many times. What it takes out of a man reduces his alertness, and a poorly-equipped rig is flat dangerous. Cops and firemen have it easy -- real easy -- because being a truck driver is nearly the most dangerous occupation in America. There are old truck drivers and there are bold truck drivers, but there are no old & bold truck drivers.

How this man drives is more important, for FE, than band aids. A well-sorted rig is "tight" and takes less energy to go down the road. The average MPG will rise appreciably once details are attended AND driving style modified to suit load, road, traffic and weather.

I'm guessing he waves at the road where his house sits, is wearing out his truck prematurely, and isn't making what he thought (normal enough for guys like us dumb enough to do this job), and that he hopes to control his fuel costs with some aero. Well, trip-planning is the key to that, and cost control comes from being able to predict the margin ahead of time, which takes numbers. And a loose, sloppy rig with a new-guy driver flat-footing it everywhere is the classic went out on the road and went home broke at the end of a year. Yeah, I know what I'm talking about, and there are good good reasons to put things in the right order.

I use a infrared temperature tool to check the tires for the correct load. It has been my way of leveling the load. But it requires me to drive for about 10 minutes to heat up the tires. Not the best way to do it for sure.

Takes 1.5 hours of steady state driving for tires to stabilize in terms of temperature. Plus, while external readings are handy, they in no way tell us what is happening INSIDE the tire which is more important. A TPMS is a good idea (again, more so than aero band-aids). You want a SHERLINE scale, as well. Plus, a run across a CAT Scale when things change (more than a few hundred, but well short of a thousand). Tighten lug nuts on both vehicles (keep a dedicated torque wrench) before every morning departures AFTER you read and record pressures.

You want to run tire pressures according to load, both vehicles. Get a quality pressure gauge (A dual-type -- does two at once -- is on my list. You can get gauges that can be calibrated).

What can I do different for the hitching for the sway from passing cars or cars passing? I have the load leveler bars, but do not use the sway bar.

Your hitch rigging, is -- to put it politely -- a joke. And that goes for anyone who doesn't certify the numbers on a weight scale (use CAT Scales; tickets are deductible). This goes for 95% of rigs out there. While there's a bonus in fuel economy, there's a direct relation to tire/brake life (and steering/suspension life), and the biggest money saver is that you'll live through the worst imaginable incidents by having better rig braking/handling. The trailer will not so easily upset the tow vehicle. Tail wags the dog. And a friction style anti-sway needs to be disconnected in rain (when you need it most).

But when I added the last boattail, it amplified the sway caused by passing vehicles.

I'm not surprised. Without NUMBERS DERIVED FROM SCALE READINGS there are nothing but the wrong kind of surprises lurking. The boat-tail may have done nothing more than free up the wrong kind of energy.

An aero rig is not more stable, per se. In general ways it is. But "the rig" (both vehicles, coupled, as definition) must meet manufacturer guidelines for proper hitching. Once you've hitched up you have ONE vehicle (is the way to look at it). A WDH applies leverage to reduce the TW to return the steer axle to original ride height and weight, and two, to "return" some of the TW to the trailer axles (which is why you want BEST tires on the trailer, and why you MUST weigh the rig empty, loaded, hitched and unhitched. And continue to do so over time to learn how to pressurize tires, tension the hitch, and adjust the cargo).

Start with the tow vehicle. Proper Load Range tires not more than 5-years in use? Shock absorbers like new? Brakes? No bad bushings or sloppy steering? Alignment Etc.

Then the trailer. What tires (and wheels)? Has it been weighed empty and loaded? What is the tongue weight? Does it represent 10-15% of trailer weight (all measurements made level) as 12-13% is probably best (and changes with every re-loading or delivery). What of side-to-side weight discrepancies? Is the cargo being secured according to DOT regulations with DOT certifiable securement devices? (It's your life, bubba, and if it ain't, it's a wheelchair . . or someone else ridin' one). GO GET THE TRAILER AXLE ALIGNMENT CHECKED. Add shock absorbers. Balance the wheels/tires (CENTRAMATIC). Check for brake drag and learn to adjust drums. Re-wire the brake electrical. Etc. Etc.

A square, non-aerodynamic trailer has some "built-in" antisway, since it takes such an enormous amount of comparable power to tow it resists side-to-side movement to a degree. An aero trailer does not, in comparison. (These are generalities, a manner of speaking). The latter trailer is not pushing a wall which resists other movements.

Once the rig is sorted -- and you have numbers to work from -- then the aero aids are worth trying. Don't put the cart before the horse, or let me hear that high school graduate in this day of the Internet can't find good information (There are LTL and hotshot forums out there that can be of help).

I'm all for increased FE, but do it in order. Get the hitch rigging squared away FIRST.

I don't know what kind of hitch you are using, but if it is the old friction bar type, then trash it, those are worse than useless. The best low cost WDH is a REESE Strait Line "Dual Cam". You can spend quite a lot of time on RV.Net and read up on how to use a WDH. (I have, and recommend HIGHLY a sway-eliminating hitch: [in reverse order of preference], a HENSLEY ARROW, a PRO PRIDE or a PULLRITE.)

You are looking to return the steering axle to original ride height and weight -- per a scale -- to have best handling/braking once hitched.

Tongue weight is NOT static: an 800# TW can be 8000# of force in the wrong situation on the big road (numbers are trailer dependent, etc)

First, you'll want scale readings of truck, empty: (driver/full fuel/normal junk)

And scale tickets to correspond to this:

(Ron Gratz over at rv.net)

Weighing #1 -- TT attached and Weight Distribution Activated

Let Front Axle Load be "FA1"

Let Rear Axle Load be "RA1"

Let TT Axles Load be "TT1"

Then, while in same position on scales, take
Weighing #2 -- TT attached and Weight Distribution Not Activated

Let Front Axle Load be "FA2"

Let Rear Axle Load be "RA2"

Let TT Axles Load be "TT2"

Then, drive off scales and drop TT. Return to scales and take
Weighing #3 -- TV only -- TT Not Attached

Let Front Axle Load be "FA3"

Let Rear Axle Load be "RA3"

From the above values, you can calculate:

TV weight = FA3 + RA3

Gross Combined Weight = (FA1 + RA1 + TT1)
- should also be equal to (FA2 + RA2 + TT2) if scale weights are correct

TT Weight = Gross Combined Weight - TV Weight

Tongue Weight = (FA2 + RA2) - (FA3 + RA3)

Load Transferred to TT Axles
when WD System in Activated = TT1 - TT2

HOW DOES A WDH WORK?
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Towing: Weight Distribution (WD) Hitch --- How it Works

http://www.trailerlife.com/images/di...wGuide0801.pdf

FORMULA CALCULATOR
Travel Trailer Weight Calculator

(ignore "safety margin" shown; it is incorrect)

And the further posts may not be on the right track. That trailer is an FE disaster due to height (reduce that will help enormously), width (preferably under 8'), AND LACK OF ROLLED CORNERS AND EDGES! Wind just piles up any and everywhere on that thing. BUT, it's too tall (number one) and too wide (but not as badly).

Another number: When the rig is hitched, what is the distance between truck tailgate and trailer front wall? More than 30"? Then don't try to "connect" the two. Treat each vehicle separately. The worse you make your truck -- solo -- the worse it will be for towing. (I won't say anything about it being GM. At least it ain't a Phord).

An aerolid would be good on the truck (or a low, close-fitting bed topper, not a two-story one; or a tonneau), and for the trailer probably a nose-cone plus (in order to experiment) some different tail configurations.
BUT

you must meet state and federal laws about overhang, proper license display and lighting. (You sure don't want DOT giving you the gimpy eye with some weirdo lookin' trailer depending on your license classification, logbooks, etc, etc).

Your biggest gains for reduced fuel use will be in trip planning. One of those forums above would probably help. If you don't understand that 10-hrs at 60 mph is better than 8.5 hours at 70 mph you may not get ahead in controlling your costs. Don't drive into the night, but leave earlier. Plan ALL stops ahead of time (mile marker such and such) and know the time and distance between each. Stop every two hours (not 2.5 hours). Stop every 4-hours to eat, fuel, whatever . . for 45" to 60". Learn stretching and some aerobics. Etc. Have alternates.

So, how ever much you are willing to do, here is the big question: What is your fuel cost expressed in cents-per-mile? (And, what is your overall cpm NOT covered by the IRS? If you increase your mpg, what will be the percentage gain on your non-covered portion of expenses?)

And, if you (like me) continue to be dumb enough to like this job, what will your next enclosed trailer look like? 8x8x20? Or 6x6x30? Wood or aluminum framing? Beam or independent suspension? Drum or disc brakes? Both sizes hold about the same, but, . . . .

Best.

(PM me with your email if you want my too-long, and unorganized collection of notes and links per towing and better mpg in a .pdf).

Last edited by slowmover; 09-16-2010 at 11:50 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to slowmover For This Useful Post:
Braebyrn (09-17-2010)
Reply  Post New Thread