Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2008, 02:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Civic 4 Life

Civics Lesson - '08 Honda Civic LX
Team Honda
90 day: 40.53 mpg (US)
61) Parking tactics: orbit to bleed momentum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100+ hypermiling/ecodriving tips
61) Parking tactics: orbit to bleed momentum

If you find you have too much momentum after reaching your preferred parking spot, continue coasting further down the row or "orbiting" a spot until you can roll to a stop in position without touching the brakes.

(The extent to which you might continue 'orbiting' depends on whether your engine is on/off and whether you're driving a manual or automatic. Also, it depends on traffic in the lot, obviously.)
I don't understand this tip. I think it would be better to just use the brakes--or use less gas in the previous pulse. Is the only reason to do this to artificially increase your MPG by keeping the odometer rolling? It doesn't seem like it would actually decrease fuel usage (equal usage with EOC, greater usage if idling in neutral). Or maybe it's all going over my head?

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-11-2008, 03:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mr. Blue Tape

AzxA - '06 Scion xA
90 day: 42.72 mpg (US)
As long as the engine is on, that's gas going up in smoke (which is why I prefer to find a slot and park ASAP). But if you're in an EOC, then the only thing you're using is time and what momentum you have left. By bleeding off the momentum you take off the inevitable work the brakes will have to do eventually when you do finally park.

There is also the risk of losing the spot you wanted originally to a vulture... this tip is just one of those "use at your discretion" types.

My 5 pillars of fuel efficiency:
  • driving style
  • aerodynamics
  • tires
  • weight reduction
  • engine maintenance
Old 08-11-2008, 04:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
I do a modified version of this when I come to work. I EOC into the lot and up (face-in) to the highest parking spot. Then I roll backwards out and around and swing in reverse to my spot about 6 places down the row. Face-out and potential parked, and no fuel burned reversing into the spot.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Old 08-11-2008, 04:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Driving in circles to get inflated MPG numbers is basically all it is...I mean, it works to get better numbers...to save gas, no. I think it's stupid, to be honest, and that when you get to that point of caring about MPG you might as well go push your car around the block,
Old 08-11-2008, 04:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Civic 4 Life

Civics Lesson - '08 Honda Civic LX
Team Honda
90 day: 40.53 mpg (US)
That's a cool technique, Pale! SVO, that pretty much confirms what I was thinking as far as orbiting goes.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
I do a modified version of this when I come to work. I EOC into the lot and up (face-in) to the highest parking spot. Then I roll backwards out and around and swing in reverse to my spot about 6 places down the row. Face-out and potential parked, and no fuel burned reversing into the spot.
Missed this post...sounds pretty neat. If I had a daily commute I'd have to figure something like that out.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Truck - '97 Ford Ranger
90 day: 30.32 mpg (US)
that is a dumb idea, my idea is to reduce the amount of gas i use. I would rather take a drive that uses less fuel than one that gets a better mpg but more fuel.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

DING DING DING

I have a 37 mile each way commute, 30 of that is highway on the in route, 25 on the way home. (have to take different routes because of traffic)

Leaving my house, that 7 miles is stop/go, lots of lights.

I have a route that is 8 miles longer each way, but nice rolling hills that I could take...... but what would be the point, lower mileage, but less miles... it takes a LOT higher mileage to make an extra 16 miles per day worth it.

I quest for high MPG, but the ultimate quest, is lowest price per commute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenitup View Post
that is a dumb idea, my idea is to reduce the amount of gas i use. I would rather take a drive that uses less fuel than one that gets a better mpg but more fuel.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Mr. Blue Tape

AzxA - '06 Scion xA
90 day: 42.72 mpg (US)
To me, its only useful if you can EOC, so as not to use gas. Otherwise... I just park (face out) and walk. Most lots I use have no barriers so I can just drive through them and be where I need to be quick.

My 5 pillars of fuel efficiency:
  • driving style
  • aerodynamics
  • tires
  • weight reduction
  • engine maintenance
Old 08-12-2008, 12:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
VIVA LA MPG RESISTANCE

Meat-roll - '97 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 55.4 mpg (US)

Wife's Brruik - '03 Buick Century
90 day: 30.84 mpg (US)

Blue Balt - '08 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE
Team Chevy
90 day: 38.19 mpg (US)
I can hit 55mpg or better on the interstate if I want to, but it adds 13 miles to my commute. This is why I take the shorter way to work, but with the many hills and lights get less MPG. I think that the end goal in all of this is to reduce our gas consumption, and not just put up big mpg numbers!!

The counter point to that is I know there are some people here that are mostly interested in putting up the big numbers, and are not really that worried about gas consumption. I say if big MPG numbers is someone's hobby more power to them.!!!

Reply  Post New Thread