Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2009, 11:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Moly Gear Oil Additive Sources? Redline MTL or ???

I am looking at reducing the weight of the rearend differential grease and the weight of the oil in the manual transmissions of both my Subaru 360 and my fathers Miles ZX40, the ZX40 calls for SAE80 weight oil in the tranny, not sure of anything other than Redline MTL that would be similar.

Anyway I cannot locate a reliable source of moly oils or moly oil addivitives, I ended up buying a bunch of old QX-700 moly additive for the crank but was told it works in the rearend differential as well, I was not told I could add it to a manual transmission. I would like to find some Moly alternatives! If anyone knows of any please share, I have been told it is common knowledge that moly improves rolling resistance on the DIY electric forum, yet good luck finding it. ALso on the subaru 360 many members of the subaru group use some type of moly oil, I would assume SAE 80 is also the proper tranny oil for it as it is the type called out for the miles kei car tranny but I might play it safe depending on the feedback from the subaru group.

Anyway I am testing amsoil severe gear in my automatic dodge 1500 crewcab w/ topper along with moly in both the rearend and crankcase. My initial set of 105mile ABA tests show about a 3/4MPG increase going out and a 2mpg increase coming back from the lifetime highway average of 14.7mpg (yes I have many ABA tests on this route and yes the mileage on this thing sucks) Main issue is that temperatures vary along with wind along the route, oddly my after oil/gear oil change ABA test was during colder than normal weather and there was head and side winds. I drove (for me) normally varying from 40-65mph depending on how the wind and slant was. There are 4 "in town" sections all above 35mph meaning about 15 miles in town on the route and 5 stops.

Not as good as I was hoping, now that I am laid off it is unlikely I will be able to get too many more ABA tests on that route, AH well

Thank You for any moly suggestions
Ryan

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-19-2009, 02:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

De Yaris - '04 toyota yaris T2
90 day: 69.55 mpg (US)
I got some molykote from work and put it into my gearbox. This was before i got my scangauge so i couldn't say what the FE benefits were. But i'm sure it helped.
Here's a link to the company that makes it (among other products)
Product Finder

ollie
Old 02-22-2009, 06:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Alien Observer

highcountryexplorer - '86 Nissan 720 KC 4x4 ST with fiberglass cap
90 day: 21.78 mpg (US)

Elroy - '03 Ford Focus ZX3 w/Zetec DOHC engine
90 day: 32.89 mpg (US)
Lubromoly?

Main Index 2003

It's what I use...might find a better price? Used by Bimmer types.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
Moly

The molydenum disulfide additives were very popular 30-years ago but not much said about it now.The moly did show some measurable improvement,but most research has centered around viscosity reduction and synthetics.Transmission gears undergo tremendous pressure at their interface with other gears and its very important that a lube of lower viscosity be able to handle loads your tranny will see,or they will experience "asperity",where the oil is literally squeezed out between them,allowing momentary contact-welding and fracture,leading to rapid wear and failure.Be very carefull with that $3,000 gearbox!

Reply  Post New Thread