Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2011, 07:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Engineering first

17 i3-REx - '14 BMW i3-REx
Last 3: 45.67 mpg (US)

Blue Bob's - '19 Tesla Std Rng Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
. . .
Radial engines are, bar none, the best sound of the 20th Century.
. . .
Merlin at +400 mph . . . <sigh>

Bob Wilson

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-18-2011, 08:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Making Ecomods a G thing

Angie - '08 Infiniti G35 X
90 day: 22.03 mpg (US)
I'll stay neutral on that one and say that there is nothing cooler than listening to all the Unlimited Gold racers at the start of the race when they do their high altitude fly-over. The higher pitch of the Merlin running maxed out is cool, but then again so is the big P&W R-4360 of Rare Bear.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
Making Ecomods a G thing

Angie - '08 Infiniti G35 X
90 day: 22.03 mpg (US)
Round Sounds Volume 1 from Aircraft Records (http://www.oldplanes.com/sounds.htm) has a few really cool tracks from the Unlimited Race at Reno, as well as Rare Bear's Qualifying Lap, in which he covered the ~8.5 Mile course in 1 Minute 10.5 Seconds

Old 07-18-2011, 09:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...the WR3350 engines in the USN P2V Neptune named "Truckulent Turtle" were also VERY efficient: 34%...ie: SPFC of 0.38 lb/hp/hr!

...and, when turbo-compounded, that went down to SPFC of 0.325 lb/hp/hr at 60% HP and 30,000' altitude!

...in our 'Connies, that was ~100 gallons per hour, per engine, at maxium 'cruise (180 knot) airspeed and 10,000' altitude.

Last edited by gone-ot; 11-10-2011 at 06:45 PM..
Old 07-18-2011, 11:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Though my Dad turned 86 today, the typical work day week situation caused my brother, and I to celebrate it w him yesterday.

Our rollercoaster summer weather here ( it rained most of yesterday) caused us to go to plan C of how to entertain him for the day.

We went to the Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum near McMinnville, OR.
My Dad had never been before, so it was great!
The SPRUCE GOOSE is there, which my Dad had previously seen down in CA.

Anyway, I saw a couple of nice small KIT planes. One was referred to as a favorite as that company claimed a 90% customer completion rate. I have no idea how expensive these kits would have been to buy. I wonder in current times, as in car regulations, if new kits are even legal anymore!

Last yr., Bro, and I gave the present of a glider ride for Dad. This yr., one option for him to chew on is a possible Hot air Balloon ride.

I learned last year, that there is a wonderful glider that can be bought w an electric motor so it can take off w/o a tow, and therefore in a slightly close quartered way, similar to motorcycle baggage capacities; could in theory make cross country trips.
Sounds great until you hear a six figure price.

Are any of you out there Airo-Modders????

I guess for about $4000.00, I could get a SINGLE person ultralite which I am told; because its a 1 person, no pilot's license is required.

Anyone with experience with any of this????

I'd love to find a cheaper glider type motor (only for takeoffs or emergencies) airplane w like a small motorcycle, or other small eng. to be built in kit form? or from scratch . Could you imagine how much fun it would be do to accomplish something like that on the same budget level one would have for aero modding a '92-94 Metro, and have it all legal?????????????
Old 07-19-2011, 12:18 AM   #16 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
I've looked into ultralights plenty. 255lbs powered is hard to do anything really aero, mostly just hang glider style or parachute style. I suppose someone could do a balsa and monocote thing, but it comes up against a 55mph limit and 25mph stall speed then. Lots of room for aerodynamic improvement though.

this is pretty much at the limits of what you can do within the constraints
http://www.interplaneaircraft.com/zjpicsvideos.htm

here is a page All About Ultralights - FAQs on getting started flying an ultralight aircraft.

1. What is an Ultralight Aircraft?
Ultralights are defined and operate under simple guidelines specified in FAR Part 103. A summary of the rule is provided here:

Single occupant only for recreation or sport purposes with 5 gallons maximum fuel.

Unpowered free flight empty weight under 155 pounds or powered weighs under 254 excluding floats or safety devices.

55 knots maximum calibrated airspeed at full power in level flight, power-off maximum stall speed 24 knots calibrated.

Can be inspected by FAA to make sure it meets criteria as an ultralight.

Vehicle not required to meet any airworthiness certification standards

Pilot not required to meet any aeronautical knowledge, age, or experience requirements to operate or to have airman or medical certificates.

Not required to be registered or to bear markings of any type.

No operation is allowed that creates a hazard to other persons or property.

Only operate between sunrise and sunset unless equipped with a suitable anti collision light extending flight time to twilight periods 30 minutes before sunrise and 30 minutes after sunset.

Yield the right-of-way to all aircraft and not create a collision hazard with any aircraft.

Do not operate an over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons.

All operations are conducted in uncontrolled airspace unless prior authorization from the ATC facility to operate in within Class A, Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace, or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport.

Must comply with flight restrictions in the proximity of certain areas designated by Notice to Airmen (NOTAM) and Temporary Flight Restrictions (TRF).

No person may operate an ultralight vehicle except by visual reference with the surface.

Visibility and cloud clearances similar to general aviation airspace. (see www.asa2fly.com for the specific FAR 103)
Old 07-19-2011, 03:43 AM   #17 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JethroBodine View Post
Cd - I can't verify SPECIFICALLY about reclamation of SR71 fuel, but...
Is this because of the black helicopters ?
Old 07-19-2011, 03:44 AM   #18 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilson4web View Post

Bob Wilson
+1 - especially 6 of them, ~300 feet, over your house (see smiles thread).
Old 07-19-2011, 07:04 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aerocivic - '92 Honda Civic CX
Last 3: 70.54 mpg (US)

AerocivicLB - '92 Honda Civic CX
Team Honda
90 day: 55.14 mpg (US)

Camryglide - '20 Toyota Camry hybrid LE
90 day: 62.77 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
I've looked into ultralights plenty. 255lbs powered is hard to do anything really aero, mostly just hang glider style or parachute style. I suppose someone could do a balsa and monocote thing, but it comes up against a 55mph limit and 25mph stall speed then. Lots of room for aerodynamic improvement though.

this is pretty much at the limits of what you can do within the constraints
http://www.interplaneaircraft.com/zjpicsvideos.htm

here is a page All About Ultralights - FAQs on getting started flying an ultralight aircraft.

1. What is an Ultralight Aircraft?
Ultralights are defined and operate under simple guidelines specified in FAR Part 103. A summary of the rule is provided here:

Single occupant only for recreation or sport purposes with 5 gallons maximum fuel.

Unpowered free flight empty weight under 155 pounds or powered weighs under 254 excluding floats or safety devices.

55 knots maximum calibrated airspeed at full power in level flight, power-off maximum stall speed 24 knots calibrated.

Can be inspected by FAA to make sure it meets criteria as an ultralight.

Vehicle not required to meet any airworthiness certification standards

Pilot not required to meet any aeronautical knowledge, age, or experience requirements to operate or to have airman or medical certificates.

Not required to be registered or to bear markings of any type.

No operation is allowed that creates a hazard to other persons or property.

Only operate between sunrise and sunset unless equipped with a suitable anti collision light extending flight time to twilight periods 30 minutes before sunrise and 30 minutes after sunset.

Yield the right-of-way to all aircraft and not create a collision hazard with any aircraft.

Do not operate an over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons.

All operations are conducted in uncontrolled airspace unless prior authorization from the ATC facility to operate in within Class A, Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace, or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport.

Must comply with flight restrictions in the proximity of certain areas designated by Notice to Airmen (NOTAM) and Temporary Flight Restrictions (TRF).

No person may operate an ultralight vehicle except by visual reference with the surface.

Visibility and cloud clearances similar to general aviation airspace. (see ASA: Home Page for the specific FAR 103)
Look up the Cumulus ultralight motor glider. There are some aeromod possibilities there by enclosing the cockpit and fairing the wheels.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:49 AM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilson4web View Post

Bob Wilson
Well, a V-configured engine ain't a radial, but it's very, very, nice.

My FIL spent a part of WWII ferrying P-51 Mustangs from where they were built in Dallas out to Long Beach (and back) to have the famous bubble-top installed. Refueled both in Tucson and El Paso. The "tough part of the job" (as he'd put it) was that the engines had to be run to the "War Emergency Power" setting every so many hours . . in a controlled dive.

If he leaned hard on the daylight operating hours rules he could make a roundtrip in one day. And did, numerous times. 2,500-miles + per round trip. Now, having been born in 1919 and endured the one to two day trip each way from near Corpus Christi to Austin to visit family via Model T (180-miles), you might imagine how it felt to wake up and go to this job in the morning, ha!!

Last edited by slowmover; 07-20-2011 at 12:02 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread