52-54 1 50.00%
55-57 1 50.00%
58-60 0 0%
61-63 0 0%
64+ 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Mac Daddy - '98 Dodge Neon R/T
90 day: 35.2 mpg (US)

Electric Slide - '10 Toyota Prius IV
90 day: 50.51 mpg (US)
Freshly purchased 2010 Prius IV, tips appreciated!

So after retiring my 98' neon that has served me well (averaged 36 stock no mods) I got myself a 2010 Prius and it's been plenty of fun.

However, I am hitting a plateau at a very dissatisfying 50-54MPG on my first few tanks. I've started to convince myself it's because the ratings themselves were skewed because they're taking automatic better driving habits forced by the car into account, but I have to be wrong.

So in that case, I ask fellow ecomodders: what have your experiences been with gen 3 Prii? Is it better to still neutral coast -- that would be unfortunate as the mileage tracking would no longer work, and the battery does not regenerate in that mode. In addition I have also noticed that when the MPG meter is maxed, it is literally reading a 100MPG rating into the stats/averages, instead of realistic numbers based on fuel usage into the 200s, 300s What mods/habits can I get into that

a. Doesn't conflict with a warranty
b. Doesn't damage the body/is invisibly reversible

On a side note, I have also been interested in those solar conversions, passive charging. However, I feel that I would either get electrocuted due to my lack of electronic experience (I'm a linux system technician, not an electrician), or I would 100% void my paid-on-top-of warranty!

Thank you for any and all input. If I can break 60 mpg tank average, I will buy some decals to celebrate!

Cheers,
Nikolai

Last edited by nekolai; 08-03-2013 at 06:44 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
Watch this video. You can read more into the details elsewhere, but this video gives you a good idea of what to do.

I'm averaging 55-60MPG in my Gen2 (only a couple smallish tanks and the bladder in the tank makes those inaccurate, too). The Gen3 should get a few MPG higher than the Gen2. My technique is to accelerate at a moderate pace, generally about the same as traffic, not charging or discharging the battery (or doing so just barely). At speed, I pulse and glide as much as I can. You should never have to use neutral, just let off the gas and slightly reapply it. This should kill a warmed up engine and provide no regen or assist from the battery. coast down 5-10MPH depending on traffic, then use the same moderate acceleration to pulse (maybe just little enough to charge the battery a bit). I usually use cruise when warming up (can't P&G) or when traffic or speed won't let me P&G. I keep the AC usage to a minimum, especially when P&Ging because it drains the battery fast, limiting glide length. I try to slow down just by coasting, but that usually isn't possible, so light braking to stay keep from using the friction brakes (you have the little bar that tells you how much regen you're doing, I think it starts using friction brakes when full). Only shift to B if you're going down a large hill (like L in most other cars). Always be aware of your surroundings and keep other drivers happy and safe.

As for mods, an easy and effective one is pumping your tires up to sidewall max. Hopefully it came with LRR tires.

Are you measuring your mileage by the computer or at the pump? 50-54MPG is already above average for 2010 Prii on Fuelly. It takes some time to get used to the way you need to work the Prius. 60MPG tanks shouldn't be very difficult for you to get when you know what to do.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread
The Following User Says Thank You to vskid3 For This Useful Post:
nekolai (08-08-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 06:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Mac Daddy - '98 Dodge Neon R/T
90 day: 35.2 mpg (US)

Electric Slide - '10 Toyota Prius IV
90 day: 50.51 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vskid3 View Post
Watch this video. You can read more into the details elsewhere, but this video gives you a good idea of what to do.

I'm averaging 55-60MPG in my Gen2 (only a couple smallish tanks and the bladder in the tank makes those inaccurate, too). The Gen3 should get a few MPG higher than the Gen2. My technique is to accelerate at a moderate pace, generally about the same as traffic, not charging or discharging the battery (or doing so just barely). At speed, I pulse and glide as much as I can. You should never have to use neutral, just let off the gas and slightly reapply it. This should kill a warmed up engine and provide no regen or assist from the battery. coast down 5-10MPH depending on traffic, then use the same moderate acceleration to pulse (maybe just little enough to charge the battery a bit). I usually use cruise when warming up (can't P&G) or when traffic or speed won't let me P&G. I keep the AC usage to a minimum, especially when P&Ging because it drains the battery fast, limiting glide length. I try to slow down just by coasting, but that usually isn't possible, so light braking to stay keep from using the friction brakes (you have the little bar that tells you how much regen you're doing, I think it starts using friction brakes when full). Only shift to B if you're going down a large hill (like L in most other cars). Always be aware of your surroundings and keep other drivers happy and safe.

As for mods, an easy and effective one is pumping your tires up to sidewall max. Hopefully it came with LRR tires.

Are you measuring your mileage by the computer or at the pump? 50-54MPG is already above average for 2010 Prii on Fuelly. It takes some time to get used to the way you need to work the Prius. 60MPG tanks shouldn't be very difficult for you to get when you know what to do.
Cheers for the incredibly informative post. I have been a bit baffled at how I *should* be driving with my Prius. Lately it's been super slow accels, and very consistent cruising speeds. Much of my driving is highway, which leads me to think the cause behind the poor(ish) mileage. Things are a bit difficult to calculate, as I'm always wanting to stay under 50% throttle to engage electric.

As for the calculations, I was measuring at the pump. There is DEFINITELY a small discrepancy, usually consisting of 2-3 MPG. I think this may be attributed to the fact that the computer cannot read past 100 MPG (if that's the truth that's an awful design flaw.) As for the tires, honestly I don't remember! I'll have to check their brand names, and the PSI rating. "Sidewall max" referring to rated PSI maximum?

In any case, thanks very much again! I'll see how far normal accels get me, and report back.

Last edited by nekolai; 08-08-2013 at 07:18 PM..
Old 08-09-2013, 08:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
Hi,
I am experiencing a culture shock similar to yours. I've been easily able to tease excellent numbers out of my truck, but my HCH hasn't been as responsive. I think your assumption is bang on: the hybrid design presumes better mileage and to a degree the way the drivetrain is programmed will game the EPA testing. That last bit is actually a suspicion of mine, not trying to assign it to you.

So the EPA testing will post good numbers - on a dyno - that are more reflective of the idealized driving that hypermilers do, and it's harder to beat them.

I've had some positive results by dipping into the battery for pulses, to get out of the high-consumption portion of my driving more quickly and spend more time on the glides. I save the inertia-eating regen portions for some of the many long downhills I have to contend with, and that seems to be working okay so far. I'm about 20% above EPA at this point, but I need to add some aero mods if I'm going to crack 50. I don't think I have wit enough to carry the HCH much beyond what it's doing without any mods.

Also, you have exposed rear wheels. I wonder if Toyota is holding off covering those until they need to make the next-gen Prius even more economical?

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Reply  Post New Thread