Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
What is the function of the black vinyl piece just behind the headlights in the first post ?
And the raised loops as well ?

Just asking. Not trying to divert the thread.

Seems to me the most simple thing to do is to simply put covers over the lights like the picture in the original post.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-30-2012, 04:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
Function over form!

S14 - '95 Nissan 240sx se
Sports Cars
90 day: 19.89 mpg (US)

S13 - '93 Nissan 240sx base
Sports Cars
90 day: 25.42 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to vrmilionzx
Based on those pics, you might try headlights from something like a pontiac sunfire, or a 300zx (z32) - neither has quite the angle you're looking for (too steep and too flat, respectively), but with a little creativity, I bet you could make something neat looking out of either of those.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
So, basically, you want this?

Seems like a simple swap if you can find a parts donor. Just put the polycarb over it and voila.

If you want to get fancy, there are H4 conversions you can get on Ebay. Instead of replacing the entire sealed beam you just replace a bulb. I've got em on my Rabbit and they work just as well as the stock units.
I know about the H4 conversions, I'll end up getting them eventually, but I'm broke and jobless at the moment.

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking for in those pics you added... but the area where the headlights are, I want it flush from the hood to the edge of the bumper cover.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:24 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
What is the function of the black vinyl piece just behind the headlights in the first post ?
And the raised loops as well ?

Just asking. Not trying to divert the thread.

Seems to me the most simple thing to do is to simply put covers over the lights like the picture in the original post.
It's a "bra" for the hood. Stops bugs and road dirt from chipping the paint. The loops are just there to pull it up tight while you're installing it. It's not installed on my car, nor will it ever be. I think those things are retarded, and I've seen what they do to paint.

That's probably what I'm gonna do, but nobody makes pre-formed clear covers that I know of, so I'm gonna weld/screw some flanges to the inside of the headlight area and screw covers to it, leaving the heads of the screws exposed.

And by "weld", I probably mean epoxy.

It'll end up looking like the aero pack on the older Dodge Daytona, smoothed out like this:

The difference is that those headlights are pop-up, mine will just be behind the lexan like so:

So that you'll have to remove the lexan covers to adjust/replace the headlights (until I get the non-sealed conversion).

Old 05-30-2012, 10:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
You said you wanted black colored headlight surrounds. That's what I was trying to show. I got two 7x6 H4's for like $25 two years ago. Search around!

You might get a cleaner look by epoxying the clear covers from the back side, instead of screwing them in. They'll seal better then as well! Just make sure, whatever you do, that you vent them so they don't fog up.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:07 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
You said you wanted black colored headlight surrounds. That's what I was trying to show. I got two 7x6 H4's for like $25 two years ago. Search around!

You might get a cleaner look by epoxying the clear covers from the back side, instead of screwing them in. They'll seal better then as well! Just make sure, whatever you do, that you vent them so they don't fog up.
I like the look of exposed screws/hardware, as long as they're done cleanly.

I don't want black surrounds on my headlights, I was literally thinking about adding the cover panels, then flush mounting headlights in them.

Reply  Post New Thread