Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2011, 12:55 AM   #21 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Verge View Post
California98Civic, I am new at this so what is a BSFC map? Is bump starting using the clutch in 5th gear to restart after a EOC cycle? During pulse is it better to get back up to speed quickly or better try to get good MPG while accelerating?
Here is a link that will help with the basics of what the map is. You are looking for the "sweet spot" on an island graph much like this one, with different values specific to your car. The pulse is counter intuitive because you are not trying to drive slowly for good instant MPG numbers. Instead you are quickly accelerating in order to achieve engine load that puts you in the sweet spot of the BSFC map. You burn what you burn more efficiently over a more brief period of time... then you shut off the engine when you reach desired speed and coast, key in the run position, all power on, but engine off. What gear you choose for the bump start varies with your speed. Most drivers here that I have seen offer advice have suggested bumping in a gear two above where you intend to drive. If 3 is the appropriate gear at a given RPM, bump in 5. And if 2, bump in 4. I bump start as low as fifteen RPMs frequently, very lightly friction spinning the engine. Then I engage the appropriate gear normally. You can hardly tell I have cut or restarted the engine most of the time. But it takes practice. Your power brakes will keep vacuum in them after you cut the engine, but only for a couple good pumps or so... keep an eye on brake power and don't EOC in potentially dangerous spots/situations.

I hope that helps... be safe...

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-27-2011, 10:35 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

My Hoopty - '00 Ford ZX2
90 day: 37.25 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
You are looking for the "sweet spot" on an island graph much like this one, with different values specific to your car. The pulse is counter intuitive because you are not trying to drive slowly for good instant MPG numbers. Instead you are quickly accelerating in order to achieve engine load that puts you in the sweet spot of the BSFC map.
This definitely helps. The island graph appears to have the engine's torque graphed at the top whereas the other graph lines appear as the engine's efficiency. I can't relate to the numbers associated with the plotted lines. I would love to make this graph but I doubt I have the necessary parameters to do it without having to calculate (with rounding errors) some of the needed parms.

Based on the fact their graph is a diesel engine, and diesels' peak horsepower is made very low in rpm, I expect that the 'sweet spot' in the example is at the engine's peak horsepower since, at this point, the engine is already at its peak torque. I suspect that the sweet spot of my engine would be WOT at 5100 rpm (282.39 whp 290.82 wtq) where peak hp=286@5400 and pk tq=302@4400.

Applying this, should make for some really interesting Pulses, even terrifying on a rainy day! If all of this works I'm going to program a micro to take care of all of these tasks so I can make sure the car is pointed in the right direction during the jump to light speed. The wife isn't going to want to ride with me anymore, take that as you may.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:39 AM   #23 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
That will be an interesting graph! I very much doubt your engine's BSFC will be anywhere near 5100 rpm, but it will be at a much higher % engine load than you've been using. In both my xB and SE-R, 83-85% load worked best. It's moderate acceleration in the xb, but pretty spirited in the SE-R. I'll bet it's gut-wrenching in your 4.6.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
Old 09-28-2011, 10:58 PM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

My Hoopty - '00 Ford ZX2
You got that right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
I'll bet it's gut-wrenching in your 4.6.
Well, that didn't work so well. Popping the clutch on a static engine followed by hard acceleration is tough on one's body and tires. I tried it in 4th then 3rd and then I really went for the gusto and tried 2nd at 40mph... this will quickly decelerate the car followed by a tire squalling blast to 60 mph. If I did manage to save on petrol, I would end up spending it all on ibuprofen.

Once I get some more practical data I will share it with you guys.

The good news for the day is that my car/data acquisition setup will still datalog during the EOC phase.

I'm planning on racing Friday night and hope to break 100mph... wish me luck.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:26 AM   #25 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
I'm planning on racing Friday night and hope to break 100mph... wish me luck.
I was just talking about racing as a metaphor within American culture... here's a song on the themes of freedom/submission, belonging/alienation, and sin/promiseland in this song yesterday in class. One of Springsteen's best ballads from the album [i]Darkness on the Edge of Town[i]--a live performance of in the year it was released, before a New Jersey audience in a small theater in Passaic. Listen for the audience response. The song is like an anthem to these dudes.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Last edited by California98Civic; 09-29-2011 at 09:47 AM..
Old 09-29-2011, 09:34 AM   #26 (permalink)
Eco-ventor

Princess - '92 Mazda MX-3 GS
House of Tudor
Team Mazda
90 day: 53.54 mpg (US)

Shirubāarō (*´ω`*) - '05 Toyota Prius Executive
Team Toyota
90 day: 54.88 mpg (US)

Blue Thunder - '20 Hyundai IONIQ Trend PHEV
Team Hyundai
Plug-in Hybrids
90 day: 587.16 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to jakobnev
Quote:
Popping...
Did you read this?:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...gine-1141.html

2016: 128.75L for 1875.00km => 6.87L/100km (34.3MPG US)
2017: 209.14L for 4244.00km => 4.93L/100km (47.7MPG US)
Old 09-29-2011, 09:44 AM   #27 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobnev View Post
Seconded. Read this and do it.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Old 09-30-2011, 08:59 PM   #28 (permalink)
Intermediate EcoDriver

Trigger - '07 Ford Mustang V6 Premium Coupe
Team Mustang
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.76 mpg (US)

Big Red (retired) - '89 Ford F-250 4wd Custom
90 day: 18.13 mpg (US)

Big Red II - '13 Ford F-150 FX4
Pickups
90 day: 19.61 mpg (US)
@ "The Verge", Before you make a habit of EOC'ing your Mustang, PLEASE read the owner's manual regarding towing the vehicle. My 2007 Mustang cannot be flat-towed (according to the owner's manual), and I presume that your 2005 is the same.
Just sayin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguitarguy View Post
Just 'cuz you can't do it, don't mean it can't be done...
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
The presence of traffic is the single most complicating factor of hypermiling. I know what I'm going to do, it's contending with whatever the hell all these other people are going to do that makes things hard.

Last edited by Mustang Dave; 09-30-2011 at 09:28 PM..
Old 10-01-2011, 11:07 PM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

My Hoopty - '00 Ford ZX2
What a week. Things I have learned:

Bruce Springsteen made one of the most amazing songs, capturing the spirit of my youth and many gear heads throughout America. Thanks California98Civic!

EOC can be accomplished without snapping your head off at the neck in a high-performance V8 car. "Gut wretching" acceleration is fun but not every 20 seconds.

I'll never be able to drive 1 complete tank without 'raking the coals to it' so a decent 90 day average is out of the question. I'm kinda like the guy that shows up at an AA meeting with a half empty flask, but maybe not quite as bad as the guy that gets into a fight at an anger managment group meeting.

I managed to get 101.63 mph Friday night at the track. Its amazing what a tune and some minor hardware changes can do for performance. I wish I could get that in mpgs too.

Drag radials perform poorly while driving through a monsoon (at night).

Reply  Post New Thread