Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2017, 04:31 AM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Firefly EV - '98 Pontiac Firefly EV
90 day: 107.65 mpg (US)

Little Boy Blue - '05 Toyota Echo
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)

BlueZ - '19 Nissan 370Z Sport
90 day: 17.19 mpg (US)
Aha!

From: Car spark plugs: Find out which are the best spark plugs for your vehicle.

Quote:
But don’t use copper spark plugs in high-energy distributor-less ignition systems (DIS) or coil-on-plug (COP) ignition systems. They’ll wear out too quickly.
My Miata is living proof!

I hope I still have the old iridium plugs that were in it, and that they're in decent condition.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-16-2017, 11:24 AM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I went over the hood and the trunk again this morning. With her dry, you could see spots that had not gotten as much attention as the rest. I waxed her after, in hopes of keeping her this way longer.

Re-comparison, followed up with the final product:

She's glossy as all heck now. (With the unfortunate side effect that the imperfections stand out more)

I had some time left, so I attacked the wheels with my polisher and wheel polish:

I'll finish them off with my dremel and more wheel polish at some point, and I'll finish the paint off soon with a re-spray of the black.

I didn't find the iridium plugs, but I did come across a 4-wire O2 sensor pulled from my '98 Firefly turn EV. I probably have 3 laying around. I went "OOOooh, 'free' parts!" and went to see what was involved in hooking up a 4-wire sensor. I found this how-to and helpful explanation:

Bosch 4-Wire O2 Sensor

...in which the writer has/had issues with how his engine ran after putting on what appears to be the same header that I have, and this was his fix for it. It might explain why she runs better/smoother for a bit after a hard run...the o2 sensor is finally hot enough to work properly! (I was just going to do a 4-wire to help with emissions/mileage while the engine was warming up)

I think that's what I'll do tonight. There's even a how-to for bench testing the heated O2 sensors. Excellent.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:00 AM   #33 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Dude I simply love the half and half blue/black look that's going on. So pretty.

What polishing compound did you use? My paint has seen better days, and I would love to get it nice and shiny again. Also what did you use for the wheels? Mind pics of the tools?

Old 04-17-2017, 02:01 AM   #34 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Whoops duplicate post. Sorry.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:37 AM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
Dude I simply love the half and half blue/black look that's going on. So pretty.

What polishing compound did you use? My paint has seen better days, and I would love to get it nice and shiny again. Also what did you use for the wheels? Mind pics of the tools?

The polisher isn't the exact model I have, but its the same brand and idea, at least. I bought it years ago on clearance, along with some matching brand compound and such that didn't work worth crap compared to the Meguire's. Even so, I must have gone over the hood and trunk (the only ones showing oxidation) at least 4 times. If I had taken my time, it might have taken less.

The finishing wax I put on by hand.

The "Magic Bullet" wasn't good enough on it's own to restore the wheels. It's really meant for maintaining already decent wheels. Once I was done using the compound on the paint for the second round, I used the polisher on the wheels with the wheel polish. It was only able to get the main/flat parts of the wheels (spokes, center). It did a much better job then the Magic Bullet, in much less time.

The wheels look good, but won't be done until I get my Dremel out to buff the insides of the spokes and rims where the large polish could not get. Enough buffing and even the etched in "water spots" and fine scratches come off. Same goes with the Meguire's compound on paint...I took out a number of rashes, scratches, and even the excess from scratch filler paint.

I'm glad the work appears to have been worth the effort. I've probably put about 8 hours in to it this weekend, maybe more. There's the wheels to do yet, and I'll have a bit more paint to work on if/when I take the top off. Even the tail and front bumper lights were polished with the same compound. They came out crystal clear. It will probably work on yellowed/dulled headlights as well.

Happy as I am with the results, I'm still more thrilled with the idea of getting that heated O2 sensor in tonight...hopefully it lives up to expectations!
Old 04-17-2017, 04:32 AM   #36 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Thanks! This advice will go a long way in helping me with both the insight and the Miata.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:44 AM   #37 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thumbs up

Welcome!

On to this morning's project...heated O2 sensor!

Pulled both O2 sensors from the '98 Firefly(Metro)'s exhaust, just in case one worked better than the other. The down-stream one only has holes at the end of the casing, meaning it's designed to respond slower than the up-stream one from the manifold. Which isn't what we (I) want.

Then on to bench testing them:

They both worked very well. The moment I started to pull the flame away, the reading would drop. I could wave the flame back and forth quickly and get an immediate response. Wonderful!

I let it cool off for a few minutes - other than from the internal heater, which didn't even draw a full amp - and waved the flame back over it, and got an instant reading still. Exactly what I need. I was concerned that little amp draw wouldn't be enough to keep it heated properly, but it did. Both sensors drew just as little current, so it seems that's how they're supposed to be, and the response concurs with this theory.

Had to clean up the threads, but otherwise it appeared I had a perfect-working O2 sensor at no cost.

Stuffing it in wasn't hard. Had to crawl under her to do it, though.

As you can see (or maybe not?) it's located right at the lowest bend where the pipe starts paralleling the transmission, mere inches off the ground. Probably explains why she ran better with the upper part of the header wrapped, which would help keep some of the heat in. And probably why she tended to run like a bag in particularly cold and wet weather, which would only help cool it off quicker. (This is all assumptions and theories, mind you)

Wiring it in, with the help of part of the Firefly's wiring harness:

You can just make out the connector between the two hoses. The black and green wires are connected at the ground bolt under the one hose where the main ground strap connects to the chassis(eww, rust). Black is ground for the heater, green is ground for the O2 signal. Heading off to the right is the red + wire, leading to the timing light connection (hot when ignition is on). And the yellow (looks white in the picture) is the O2 signal wire, soldered straight to the Miata's wiring.

The previous wiring (the red wire in the second picture) was just stuffed in to the end of the butt connector for the original wiring and crimped down. Probably not the best for a signal. Nor was the electrical tape coming off of it, which might have lead to grounding the signal out altogether.

Am I allowed to get annoyed with someone else's work when the object in question belonged to them at the time?

The preliminary results? Thrilling!

The idle dropped off much quicker after start up. She was purring at low idle within 30 seconds, when I got out to take a whiff of the exhaust, which had been notoriously rick smelling at idle. It just had that sweet smell of a healthy engine, not even the faintest smell of running rich. And the temp gauge hadn't even started moving yet.

I went for a drive, of course. She's a well-behaved lass now, until you take her over 4k rpm. Even with the engine still cold. The exhaust sound is much better...both from the tail pipe and the no longer excessive noise of the exhaust traveling through the pipe. Now there's just road noise and the thrum coming out the tail pipe. Very nice!

I hope it also means there will be a lot less heat being thrown off the catalytic converter, now that she's not running rich. You could feel it radiating in to the cabin on the driver's side, if you drove long enough on a warm day. Time will tell.

I've only driven it the once, so my findings aren't conclusive...yet. But I would say this is a must for anyone with one of these headers. And probably recommended for anyone who does short trips and wants to maximize fuel efficiency on those short trips.

It seems it was well worth the effort.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:07 PM   #38 (permalink)
Focused on MPG

Marinator - '06 Mercury Mariner Premier
90 day: 10.61 mpg (US)

SILVER BULLET - '19 DODGE GRAND CARAVAN GT
90 day: 18.41 mpg (US)

Myrtle - Wife's JKU - '12 Jeep JK Unlimited Sport
90 day: 15.7 mpg (US)
Let us know if that helped the MPG in your case!

Staying Focus'd on MPG
Old 04-18-2017, 10:06 AM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Will do!

It rained on my beautiful car while I was at work.

After using the compound to buff the paint, I had noted that the water did not bead up on it at all. This was rather disappointing. I figured it would be smooth as all heck, and the water wouldn't have much of anything to stick to. Apparently that was hopeful thinking.

However, she is well and truly waxed now. So when I came out of work, this is what I found:

It beads up and rolls off (given an excuse), just like it does on the Rain-X'd windows.

Hopefully that means she'll stay cleaner, longer. (The matte black lower half will help disguise it on the lower half, at least.)

Oh, yeah. She ran good still on the way to work, and again in the cold and wet on the way home.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:02 AM   #40 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Delayed response...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubby79 View Post
I offered him $1300, cash, within the hour. He only took a moment to decide. A quick run to the bank and back and she was mine.
That's an absolute steal for one of these with a hard top! Though I think prices have gone up in the last 5 years. Clever you - bought at the bottom of the market.

Quote:
I'm not crazy about it. Around here, a car painted that way always means someone has done shoddy rust repairs and is trying to hide the results. Even if that's not the case (probably not much rust on a Vancouver Island Miata), it's an automatic association for me.

Speaking of rust repairs, I pulled the seats & carpets from mine and my driver's floor is Swiss cheese bad. (No surprise.) It wasn't winter driven, but a leaky top = frequently wet carpets = rust!

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Reply  Post New Thread