Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2009, 07:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Silver Turtle - '02 Ford Focus Zx3
90 day: 38.83 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
Nice !

Functional, yet 'cool' to the uninitiated. 'thumbsup'

I'm a little concerned about pedestrians and children. If they brush up next to your car, will they get cut ?
Definitely "cool", heck they sell these in carbon fibre and fiberglass for other cars (for "racing" purposes of course for like $600+).

And no, unless you "brush" up against it from the bottom which is quite impossible since its quite close to the ground. Hey, it might be a theft deterrent! Lol

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-10-2009, 07:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
I'd hate to get run over :P
Old 01-13-2009, 03:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
Fit
EcoModding Lurker

The Fit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
90 day: 40.84 mpg (US)
Basslover,

Where did you find the vortex generators on your roof. They seem much more 'low profile' visually than many of the others that I have seen (Airtabs ). I have been considering some on my honda fit but the fiance is as yet unenlightened and doesn't want any 'nerd stuff' to direct too much attention.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by basslover911 View Post
The ones behind the tires (the ones on the pictures) are not steep at all, probably around 3 degrees.

The middle one (which is finished now) is more like 7 degrees or so.

Also, I don't have a complete belly pan yet (I have the oem one in front but nothing in the middle of the car yet). I am going to see how durable this diffuser is and if everything works good I will make the middle one in about two months or so (Since that one is bigger and is going to be a little more, probably around $40 or so).
basslover,there is a section in Hucho's book which covers research conducted on bellypans and diffusers.The rear mods do not perform up to their maximum potential if everything leading up to it is not paneled.So the addition of the middle panel should improve what you have.-------------Also,Hucho reports that undercar flow will stall and separate if the diffuser rises at an angle steeper than 2-1/2 degrees,so your sheetmetal may be a little "fast."
Old 01-13-2009, 06:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
TacoModder

rik's prerunner - '03 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Double Cab TRD 4A
90 day: 29.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Also,Hucho reports that undercar flow will stall and separate if the diffuser rises at an angle steeper than 2-1/2 degrees,so your sheetmetal may be a little "fast."
Oh really...

So if my belly screen dips below the axles and spare tire at about 10" above the road, then at the very back, it should still be pretty low -- probably around a foot. And likewise, any wheel fairings originating near the bottom of the rear wheels need to terminate only slightly higher than the origin.

So on my truck, I would "ideally" need to have a low shelf hanging below my tailgate??

Last edited by mobilerik; 01-13-2009 at 09:12 PM..
Old 01-16-2009, 01:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

"ideally"

Quote:
Originally Posted by akashic View Post
Oh really...

So if my belly screen dips below the axles and spare tire at about 10" above the road, then at the very back, it should still be pretty low -- probably around a foot. And likewise, any wheel fairings originating near the bottom of the rear wheels need to terminate only slightly higher than the origin.

So on my truck, I would "ideally" need to have a low shelf hanging below my tailgate??
akashic,that's pretty much the deal.On my Dodge,the spare tire and all hardware were removed from under the truck.The diffuser created a "trunk" for the spare tire to slide into,between the chassis and top of diffuser.----------For the T-100,the frame rails aren't as deep,so a "drawer" slot big enough for the spare didn't work out. I just keep it in the bed,under cover of the shell.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:50 PM   #17 (permalink)
TacoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
akashic,that's pretty much the deal.On my Dodge,the spare tire and all hardware were removed from under the truck.The diffuser created a "trunk" for the spare tire to slide into,between the chassis and top of diffuser.----------For the T-100,the frame rails aren't as deep,so a "drawer" slot big enough for the spare didn't work out. I just keep it in the bed,under cover of the shell.
Craziness! I guess I could also consider putting a tool box or something under there. Or it could be a storage shelf for the tonneau when I need to haul stuff. Or place to store the batteries when I convert it to electric. (haha)

But how much of a gain are we talking about here? Assuming I already have a good belly pan in place...
Old 01-16-2009, 03:22 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

how much

Quote:
Craziness! I guess I could also consider putting a tool box or something under there. Or it could be a storage shelf for the tonneau when I need to haul stuff. Or place to store the batteries when I convert it to electric. (haha)

But how much of a gain are we talking about here? Assuming I already have a good belly pan in place...
The data is in Hucho's book.I'll re- visit that.-------As to tools and other massive items,bear in mind that that mass way out at the rear of the car could affect the polar-moment of the Tacoma and its center of gravity.If you ever lost traction in a curve,the tail might want to swap ends with the front of the truck.----------- The spare was already in that location so that's a wash,but additional weight could get you in trouble.Just be careful.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:34 PM   #19 (permalink)
TacoModder

Hmm... so an empty shelf with maybe a spare tire. That's not fun at all...

I'm reminded of a Seinfeld episode -- I could rent out the shelf space to Japanese business-men.

And to keep it lightweight during the drive, I could set up a bunch of hamster wheels back there, so I can run alternator-free. And/or set up an entertaining diorama for my tailgater parade... maybe with cfg83's poke-modders, eh?
Old 01-17-2009, 03:02 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

back there

Quote:
Hmm... so an empty shelf with maybe a spare tire. That's not fun at all...

I'm reminded of a Seinfeld episode -- I could rent out the shelf space to Japanese business-men.

And to keep it lightweight during the drive, I could set up a bunch of hamster wheels back there, so I can run alternator-free. And/or set up an entertaining diorama for my tailgater parade... maybe with cfg83's poke-modders, eh?
I like the diorama idea.Perhaps Cheney chasing Bush with a rapier screaming"_oddamnit,get me a war for Halliburton"