Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now
 


Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2021, 08:58 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
freebeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: northwest of normal
Posts: 18,062
Thanks: 4,947
Thanked 5,971 Times in 4,774 Posts
"Don't criticize what you can't understand." — Dylan

I gave it my best shot at Permalink #14, got a little exasperated at #16, and pushed back at #18.

Quote:
....and you made a point which puzzled me. I asked you to support what you'd said but instead, we got basically nothing.
Could it possibly be the case that we're both puzzled by the same thing? Hmmm?

We good now?

Vman455 — TIA

__________________
.
Good sense, innocence, cripplin' mankind
Dead kings, many things I can't define
Occasions, persuasions clutter your mind
Incense and peppermints, the color of time

Who cares what games we choose?
Little to win, but nothin' to lose


"Incense And Peppermints"
_________________
  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 01-12-2021, 11:18 PM   #22 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail
 
Cd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Austin,Texas
Posts: 3,168
Thanks: 2,438
Thanked 822 Times in 488 Posts
Where did this argument come from ?

Just a minor update - I took a 136 mile trip to see.my parents today.
I taped some tufts inside the box cavity, and around the NACA vents.
The good news, is that the ducts seem to be working.
The airflow is blowing to the rear of the car, rather than the wake reversing the flow.
The apparent windspeed at the edge of the duct looks to be the same as that coming from the edge of top of the box cavity.

I'll take video later in the week.

Going by 'seat of the pants' I'd guess that the car doesn't coast like it used to.
However, I just got the highest mileage I have ever seen with the car, and this was at speeds of up to 80 mph, with an average speed of probably 68 mph.


So more testing is needed.
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cd For This Useful Post:
freebeard (01-12-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 11:01 AM   #23 (permalink)
Tyrant-at-large
 
Vman455's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 1,798

Little Red - retired - '05 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 49.03 mpg (US)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 56.96 mpg (US)
Thanks: 186
Thanked 1,582 Times in 840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Vman455 TIA
Well, shoot--I have a couple papers, but they're both too big to upload here. I'll see if I can figure something else out.
__________________

  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vman455 For This Useful Post:
freebeard (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 03:46 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
aerohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sanger,Texas,U.S.A.
Posts: 12,107
Thanks: 19,408
Thanked 6,139 Times in 3,773 Posts
porosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
Here are the two NACA ducts I have so far.
You can't see how rough they are here in the pictures.
They are purely function over form at this point.
The paint was still wet at this point.

I thought that for sure they would intrude down into my line of sight out the back, but they are placed just far forward enough to not even show up below the extension I have already added.
I really like the fact that to test them, all I have to do is look in my rear view mirror. ( I'm placing some tufts inside the box cavity. )
By making holes in the panel you're destroying some of the facility for pressure recovery, which is the underlying premise for the box-cavity's performance. It needs to be as air-tight as you can make it.
__________________
Photobucket album: http://s1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj622/aerohead2/
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:38 PM   #25 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,615
Thanks: 92
Thanked 1,299 Times in 909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
By making holes in the panel you're destroying some of the facility for pressure recovery, which is the underlying premise for the box-cavity's performance. It needs to be as air-tight as you can make it.
If it were just pressure recovery caused by longer flows down the sides/top, it wouldn't need to be a cavity would it?

Last edited by JulianEdgar; 01-13-2021 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: clarification
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
aerohead (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 05:28 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
aerohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sanger,Texas,U.S.A.
Posts: 12,107
Thanks: 19,408
Thanked 6,139 Times in 3,773 Posts
longer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar View Post
If it were just pressure recovery caused by longer flows down the sides/top, it wouldn't need to be a cavity would it?
By longer, do you mean, that if the body were elongated, and diminished in cross-section along a streamlined path?
__________________
Photobucket album: http://s1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj622/aerohead2/
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 05:31 PM   #27 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,615
Thanks: 92
Thanked 1,299 Times in 909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
By longer, do you mean, that if the body were elongated, and diminished in cross-section along a streamlined path?
Your point seems to apply to any lengthened / contracting body, not one specifically with a cavity. I don't think that a box cavity works as you appear to assume it to.

I doubt that holes in the cavity extensions will make much difference, either way. But I am just guessing.
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
aerohead (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 05:45 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
aerohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sanger,Texas,U.S.A.
Posts: 12,107
Thanks: 19,408
Thanked 6,139 Times in 3,773 Posts
contracting

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar View Post
Your point seems to apply to any lengthened / contracting body, not one specifically with a cavity. I don't think that a box cavity works as you appear to assume it to.

I doubt that holes in the cavity extensions will make much difference, either way. But I am just guessing.
* ' the drag reduction from an elongated tail varies almost linearly with the reduction in cross section area.' SAE 2020-01-0673
* Any porosity would only compromise the effect. Voids cannot sustain pressure.
__________________
Photobucket album: http://s1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj622/aerohead2/
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 05:49 PM   #29 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,615
Thanks: 92
Thanked 1,299 Times in 909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
* ' the drag reduction from an elongated tail varies almost linearly with the reduction in cross section area.' SAE 2020-01-0673
Sure

Quote:
* Any porosity would only compromise the effect. Voids cannot sustain pressure.
Only if you think that's how box cavities work. I don't think that - because they reduce drag even when the extensions are not angled inwards and so when there's no reduction in cross-sectional area.

It's the old thing - to a hammer everything looks like a nail. Or, once you have a theory in your mind, you want to apply it to everything.
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
aerohead (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 06:00 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
freebeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: northwest of normal
Posts: 18,062
Thanks: 4,947
Thanked 5,971 Times in 4,774 Posts
Quote:
I doubt that holes in the cavity extensions will make much difference, either way. But I am just guessing.
You find yourself down here in the mud with the rest of us?

I agree with aerohead. I've seen some shallow boxed cavities.



If you can't trust Gaylard, who can you trust? My favorite example would be the Cobra Coupe.


http://www.motornature.com/wp-conten...by-Coupe-2.jpg

It's almost just a Faschenfeld tearing edge.

__________________
.
Good sense, innocence, cripplin' mankind
Dead kings, many things I can't define
Occasions, persuasions clutter your mind
Incense and peppermints, the color of time

Who cares what games we choose?
Little to win, but nothin' to lose


"Incense And Peppermints"
_________________
  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com