Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2009, 11:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lurking footless halls

Dark Horse - '16 Ford Mustang GT convertible Premium

Gutless Beauty - '19 Toyota Corolla SE
Need help finding a BMW EBH

I have an unmodded '02 3-series that when warmed-up, gets 34 to 39 mpg commuting to work. For more than a year though, I've been taking a train and drive only to and from a nearby train station: it never warms up any more. Mileage has dropped to 24 - 28, so I'd like to add an engine block heater but I can't seem to find the right one.

What I've considered:

1. I don't think I can use the freeze plug type in the aluminum block (does it even have freeze plugs?).

2. I bought an inline "circulating" type and found out I don't have room to fit it in the engine compartment.

BTW, it doesn't really have a circulating pump in it. It works only by convection.

3. At one time, there was an OEM BMW part that bolted directly to the side of the block, but I think it was made out of unobtanium. I'd buy one if I could find it.

Click to see article.

The part# Googles up with 2 hits (well 3 but one is a dupe). In both cases, it seems the part is discontinued or no longer available. It was made and sold in Canada but apparently not in the U.S.

Maybe some of the ecomodders from Canada might be able to assist me here. If you know of a BMW dealer up north that deals in this kind of thing (I've read maybe Saskatoon), let me know.

4. The pad-type that attaches to the bottom or side of the oil pan might work. The magnetic type is out because the pan is, of course, aluminum. There is an adhesive type that might have promise (similar to this one)

...if I could find a flat spot on the pan:

5. Lastly, I may try a "non-circulating" inline type that connects to the lower (not upper) radiator hose.

I'm not sure it will help if the thermostat is closed: won't it only heat the fluid in the hose and leave the long straight-6 block in the cold? I'm willing to try it if nothing else pans out (no pun intended).

Last edited by Silveredwings; 11-18-2009 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: wrong stuff
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-16-2009, 12:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Red Storm - '93 BMW 318 iS
90 day: 28.51 mpg (US)
Pelican Parts have it? I've pulled some obscure things from their warehouse through the years.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lurking footless halls

No they don't, but thanks for the reply.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Wife's Hot Rod - '09 Pontiac G8 GT
Last 3: 23.22 mpg (US)

Big Outback - '13 Subaru Outback 2.5i

Little Outback - '02 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport
I would start calling dealers. Locals first then I would move north. You'd be surprised what odd parts some dealers have in stock.

You may also call salvage yards to see if they have any engines. You may find on an engine that someone is willing to let you take off. The one you show that is appears to be OE looks like it bolts to the side of the motor.

Don
Old 11-17-2009, 01:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I'll bet that little jewel was one expensive piece... Based on a few of the specialty parts I've bought for my BMW..

BTW the hose mounted heaters I've put in called for going in the lower hose.

Dave
Old 11-18-2009, 03:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lurking footless halls

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx View Post
I'll bet that little jewel was one expensive piece... Based on a few of the specialty parts I've bought for my BMW..
I read $140 and $88 from dealers in Canada (probably CAD $ as well).

Quote:
BTW the hose mounted heaters I've put in called for going in the lower hose.

Dave
Right you are.