Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2020, 10:06 AM   #31 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
Actually, torque pro app could send commands to the ECU that would mimic the smog test, BUT, the power and fuel economy get so wonky that the car is kinda gutless, an anathema to the reason for owning the series.

Your software is different than my Cali Version.

Last edited by Piotrsko; 04-30-2020 at 10:11 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-30-2020, 05:57 PM   #32 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTDI View Post
Especially the unrealistic European test method was to blame. EPA is much more realistic and achievable in daily traffic.
Not sure to which point one test method is effectively more accurate than the other. Both are somehow unrealistic as EPA rigs up its procedure in order to favor automatic transmissions rather than manuals.

Quote:
I have a VW 1.2 TDI dieselgate engine in my car, and getting a respectable 55 + MPG with normal driving conditions. The bad software has been removed a couple of years ago and the car has consumed a little less since than. But I also notice less eagerness at higher speeds.
Well, I guess it's still not so bad at all. Drive a naturally-aspirated 1.0L Dacia Logan once and you'll understand what I'm talking about...
Old 05-06-2020, 08:13 AM   #33 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

rozy - '09 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
Quote:
The bad software has been removed a couple of years ago and the car has consumed a little less since than. But I also notice less eagerness at higher speeds.
That is because the "fix" was rather an ecu tweak and now the car has even less horsepower

more like a gimmick rather than a fix
Old 05-06-2020, 10:41 AM   #34 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
The proper fix would involve adding some extra hardware which would become too costly and labor-intensive to implement on most of the affected vehicles. Well, I still guess some owners would become even more unhappy having to use AdBlue instead of dealing with this different ECU calibration.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:08 AM   #35 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
On my 2013 golf, there is literally no place to put an Adblue container except for the spare tire area which they did for the Cali versions in 2014/2015. Any extra room underneath was used by the def powered converter.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:44 AM   #36 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

GreenTDI - '11 Skoda Fabia Estate R3 1.2 CRTDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 65.02 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
That is because the "fix" was rather an ecu tweak and now the car has even less horsepower

The engine lost a few HP at higher RPM's, that's true and that's what I experience. But oddly enough it also gained torque in the low RPM range.
Result: it makes it easier to drive at low engine speed = less consumption/ emissions. And with easier I mean: smoother and less 'explosive'.

Last edited by GreenTDI; 05-08-2020 at 11:49 AM..
Old 05-10-2020, 12:55 AM   #37 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
The engine lost a few HP at higher RPM's, that's true and that's what I experience. But oddly enough it also gained torque in the low RPM range.
Not so bad at all.

Quote:
Result: it makes it easier to drive at low engine speed = less consumption/ emissions. And with easier I mean: smoother and less 'explosive'.
At a lower load it also leads to a decrease on exhaust gas temperatures, which may seem bad at first because it would eventually take longer for the DPF and other aftertreatment devices to reach their optimum temperatures, but the ECM may occasionally trim the air/fuel ratio leaner more often in order to raise the EGTs accordingly.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:06 AM   #38 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

GreenTDI - '11 Skoda Fabia Estate R3 1.2 CRTDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 65.02 mpg (US)
How the software "fix" improved emissions and driving quality.

German article about the measurements after the "dieselgate update"

https://www.adac.de/-/media/pdf/tet/...004EC4CBE009F3

Very briefly: up to 25% improvement in emission reduction and no loss of power. On the contrary, they even have 7 percent more power than specified. Both the torque- and power curve has flattened but also starts earlier, which is consistent with my experience.

But why was this not possible before? And at what cost?
I think the benefits are achieved by triggering a different driving behavior by boosting the power at low RPM. But certainly due to more internal pollution of the engine -> more use of EGR and more frequent regeneration of the diesel particulate filter. Time will tell ...

Last edited by GreenTDI; 05-19-2020 at 11:34 AM..
Old 05-20-2020, 02:23 AM   #39 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
I think the benefits are achieved by triggering a different driving behavior by boosting the power at low RPM. But certainly due to more internal pollution of the engine -> more use of EGR and more frequent regeneration of the diesel particulate filter. Time will tell ...
Since it was supposed to not harm fuel-efficiency, I would actually expect it to not increase the particulate emissions so badly.

Reply  Post New Thread