Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2011, 01:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Subaru Baja !!

Hello,

I'm new. As per the title, I have a Subaru Baja to which I'm hoping to ecomod.

I have a ScanGauge (Green) in the mail.
This weekend, it will undergo exhaust modifications (cat-back with less restriction, long tube headers).
I've given it a decent tune-up: NGK iridiums, nice filters, de-carbonized intake system, and low viscosity synthetic lubricants. I can't really alter the ignition system.

Trying to decide between an aftermarket cold air intake kit, or just making my own.

My aero mods haven't started yet, due to grad school. I'll be blocking off the front grill as much as possible with aluminum sheet. The fog lamps I'll be covering with lexan. Underbody paneling I hope to complete when I find time and material.

I have design ideas to smooth the turbulence wake from the tail of the "truck". Basically, an aluminum frame with lexan panels, sloped downward toward the tailgate. Hinged at the top to allow access.
I'd like to remove the rear tailgate, as it weighs at least 45 pounds. It may be integral to the chassis stiffness...but I don't really care. Some nice thick aluminum plate would suffice, for me.

I'm looking into AWD to FWD conversion kits, to delete the rear drive components. But...its expensive...and rare. I'm unsure of the reliability.

I haven't removed seats or anything for weight savings. I do not wish to remove the alternator.

Anything else?

Oh...I keep the tires filled, etc...blah blah...

It won't come close to my wife's Honda Insight. But, I'm trying. Love the car-truck waaay too much to trade it.
Opinions?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-16-2011, 02:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Oh! (and sorry for the double post)

I'm also installing pizza-pan wheel covers soon, as well as rear wheel skirts.
The car is silver, so plain aluminum sheeting shouldn't stand out TOO badly. Folks think the car's hideous already, anyway...

Just need to find a cheap source of aluminum sheet for that and the undertray....

Has anyone found that long-tube headers increase MPG? The current exhaust manifold has an intergrated cat converter, whereas the aftermarkets do not.
I'll have a high-flow cat installed with the exhaust, anyway.

Thinking about moving the side-view mirrors inside the car door. Or using motorcycle mirrors. I don't use them on my motorcycle, so I'm quite used to it.
Roof rack removal and radio antenna alteration (don't care for the $81 "Shark Fin")

Already has an electric fan. No camshaft or electric water pump options. Really kinda limited.

Also interested in knowing if anyone's tried the power steering bypass on a Subaru.

THANKS!

Last edited by Wbcherry; 11-16-2011 at 02:28 PM..
Old 11-16-2011, 02:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
Welcome to the site.

In general aftermarket headers shift torque to a higher rpm, one which most ecodrivers don't drive in. We like to keep the rpms below 2500 to reduce losses to friction.

I'd also recommend staying with the stock intake. A cold air intake won't net you any better mileage than the stock intake. Firstly, the stock intake is just not a restriction at 2500 rpm or lower. Second, warm air is better for fuel efficiency vs cold air.

Aeromods are where it is going to be unless you drive exclusivly in the city. I'd look into some form of aerocap like the pickup guys do. You'd probably see a very nice gain there. Grill blocks are a great place to start.

You'll still see your largest gain from adjusting the nut behind the wheel's driving technique though. See the 100+ hypermiling tips link at the top of the page.
Ryland (11-17-2011)
Old 11-16-2011, 02:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks for mentioning "nut behind the wheel". I had a bet going that it'd be in the first reply.

Long-tube headers because I live in a highly populated area. My highway commute is deadly.
The remaining urban half isn't so bad.

Have you seen the intake system in a Subaru Baja? Redundant water traps.

Please, no WAI vs CAI debate here.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I can RAISE the Baja for $400.
I can LOWER the Baja for $1500.

It should be reverse of that.

Also, I should have a pet dinosaur already. It's 2010...
Old 11-16-2011, 06:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
A madman

Pequod - '17 Subaru Outback
90 day: 22.79 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to brucey
You can lower a baja for 1/10th of that. I've got the wagon version of your car and the suspension is interchangeable with the legacy wagon.

Reply  Post New Thread