Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2015, 07:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

New IMA battery; 12v, check engine, and IMA lights are on. Not charging.

Greetings,

I recently took my '03 HCH, with 138K, into the shop for a 30K mile maintenance. Going into it, the IMA light was on as well as the check engine. They ran a systems check and came up with P1420 (cat deterioration, which explained the check engine light) and 1601 (battery module deterioration). They told me I would need to replace my 144v IMA (the previous one was replaced 3 years ago from the dealership and conveniently past warranty).

I did some research and replaced the IMA myself after the mechanic told me it would be 4000+ to replace the cat, the IMA, and a trans mount.

FF to this week: I received and installed a brand new battery (5 year extended warranty) from bumblebee batteries. Started the car to charge and the check engine, 12v, and 144v lights came on. The new battery also did not charge or read in my system, but is drivable.

I took it to a friends to run the error codes. After erasing and reading again, 1600 (basic IMA issue), 1569 (bad housing temperature sensor in IMA), and 1637 (?) came up immediately.

**The 12v was replaced a year ago and is in good working condition.**

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have an appointment to take it into the mechanic on monday, but I would like to fix the issues myself before then.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-04-2015, 08:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

P0420 or P1420? You need to confirm that your ECU has been updated. Honda had a lot of problems with false codes on upper cats.

Triple check that you connected it correctly. Remove and reinsert the various plugs. Make certain the white plug is connected as that how the thermistor wires attach.

Make sure you turned the master switch on.

This may also be an issue with PTC strips. If your ECU is expecting to see the PTC strips, they're not on Bumblebee's pack. You either need an ECU update or a resistor. I don't know how he sends his packs.

Have you called Bumblebee for help? If not, stop reading and go do that. They are very knowledgeable and helpful.

Lastly, just because you replaced a 12V a year ago means nothing about it's current health. Never assume a 12V is in good health unless you LOAD test it.

Steve
Old 12-04-2015, 08:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The first error code was 1420. I do not believe the ECU has been updated. I will make an appointment to have that done tomorrow!

Master switch has been on, the electric start still works. Per recommendation, I left a voicemail with Bumblebee. Sadly, they close at 5pm.

Thanks for the information about the 12v! I will get it load tested this weekend and will also get the ECU update. I will reply asap with (hopefully good) news!
Old 12-04-2015, 10:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

It does apply to P1420.

Reference SB 11-043:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...42649-8335.pdf

The ECU update for the removal of PTC strips is different and my cost you something.

Steve
The Following User Says Thank You to S Keith For This Useful Post:
arafferty08 (12-04-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 03:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Keith View Post

Have you called Bumblebee for help? If not, stop reading and go do that. They are very knowledgeable and helpful.

Steve
Bumblebee responded to my call this morning with this email:

Based on the codes you left me on the phone it sounds like you are one of the few cases that have to have the computer reprogrammed by Honda. You need to have the system flashed with the YSH software version. We will reimburse you up to $175 for the reprogramming. Just email me a copy of the receipt. Sorry I didn't catch you last night.

Very helpful people!
Old 12-07-2015, 05:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Update: New IMA battery; 12v, check engine, and IMA lights are on. Not charging.

Word back from the dealership today:

They reset the computer and added on the YSH software. They cleared the P1600 and P1569 codes, but the P1637 still remains. I am told that the computer control module needs to be replaced for another $3000...Im going to take it home and see what I can do myself. I am told it still drives, but I will find out more details tomorrow when I pick it up.

Any advice for me when I go back to the dealership to pick up the car?

I can give final word on the issues and results of the service tomorrow.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Triple check the installation.

2004 Civic IMA MCM question - GreenHybrid - Hybrid Cars

Remove and reinsert all connectors.

Another call/email to Bumblebee might be in order.

Steve
The Following User Says Thank You to S Keith For This Useful Post:
arafferty08 (12-07-2015)
Old 12-07-2015, 06:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
When you go to get it. Pull the 12v for about a minute, then start the car and wait for the battery to recal. Code comes back? Possible problem. If it doesn't, good.

Dealerships are absolutely useless.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Got the codes pulled very recently and it turns out that P1639 is the only one left. Looked it up and it seems that the exact same situation has been solved before by Bumblebee. I sent them an email of the forum and eagerly await a reply.

I will keep an update of the final results.

Here is the previous website from greenhybrid. S Keith has a little experience with this one
Old 12-10-2015, 10:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

P1639 Code in 2003 HCH? - GreenHybrid - Hybrid Cars

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
2003 civic hybrid, ima