Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2015, 03:08 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotToyota View Post
Just bought a stock intake tube for $30 shipped. Score!
Cool. Nice persistence. Good luck with the transmission swap. The shifter linkage is a PITA. I saw one guy online keep the linkage connected until after the trnas was removed (better leverage for the so-called b*tch pin removal/install.

Great looking VX.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-11-2015, 12:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thank you!

Luckily I'm paying my mechanic friend to swap it who has done it many times.

Also getting a new drivers side axle and replacing the slave cylinder, throwout bearing and pilot bearing while I'm in there. The clutch disc was done not too long ago.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

MULE VX - '92 Honda civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 92.6 mpg (US)

White 94 VX "Show Car" - '94 Honda Civic VX VX
90 day: 79.92 mpg (US)

The Walrus - '02 Honda Insight base
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 100.88 mpg (US)
Great looking VX. I hope you have as much fun and MPGs as we have with yours.
Old 07-11-2015, 03:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Thank you!

Luckily I'm paying my mechanic friend to swap it who has done it many times.

Also getting a new drivers side axle and replacing the slave cylinder, throwout bearing and pilot bearing while I'm in there. The clutch disc was done not too long ago.
When I did mine, I left some hardware in place. I replaced the throwout bearing, but I did not replace the clutch, flywheel, or slave cylinder. All was 1998 OEM stuff, never replaced. Two-and-a-half years later the clutch is still fine (230,000 miles now). But the slave cylinder went out probably a year later, maybe less.

You never know with this stuff.

But so far, I have followed the principle of not replacing things that have not failed. I will say though that I do not look forward to one day going back into the transmission job to replace flywheel or clutch, when I was already in there... we'll see... maybe my luck holds out?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 07-12-2015, 03:07 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

About two hours ago I acquired a stock airbox, including the resonator that goes under the bumper towards the passenger fender liner. Looking forward to getting it all put in.

Anyone have any preferences on filters? I'm wondering if a K&N would improve my mileage.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Question: So since I bought the car I have had issues with the idle occasionally dipping and sometimes stalling. The idle doesn't bounce, and I've replaced the throttle body gasket, map sensor o-ring, all the vacuum hoses except the lower PCV hose, PCV valve, upper PCV valve hose, distributor cap/rotor, spark plugs and adjusted the idle according to the service manual.

Is it possible that the lower PCV hose is the culprit? It's the only hose I haven't replaced. I did replace the PCV grommet that is at the breather chamber as well but the PCV valve that goes there is questionable, I wonder if I should replace it also?

Doesn't show the part on here but I'm wondering if #2 is the same as the upper PCV valve (#6 in the diagram, part number 17130-PM6-003).

Honda Automotive Parts
Old 07-14-2015, 04:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Panda - '92 Honda Civic VX
90 day: 53.55 mpg (US)

Charles II - '05 Honda Accord EX-L
90 day: 27.6 mpg (US)

Fitrari - '07 Honda Fit Sport
90 day: 36.4 mpg (US)
Quote:
Question: So since I bought the car I have had issues with the idle occasionally dipping and sometimes stalling. The idle doesn't bounce, and I've replaced the throttle body gasket, map sensor o-ring, all the vacuum hoses except the lower PCV hose, PCV valve, upper PCV valve hose, distributor cap/rotor, spark plugs and adjusted the idle according to the service manual.

Is it possible that the lower PCV hose is the culprit? It's the only hose I haven't replaced. I did replace the PCV grommet that is at the breather chamber as well but the PCV valve that goes there is questionable, I wonder if I should replace it also?

Doesn't show the part on here but I'm wondering if #2 is the same as the upper PCV valve (#6 in the diagram, part number 17130-PM6-003).

Honda Automotive Parts
Spray some brake cleaner down on that hose and if the idle jumps vacuum leak, how are the condition of your plug wires?
Old 07-14-2015, 10:54 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The plug wires are NGK's that came with the car, but honestly I can't confirm how old they are. Cheap enough to replace but if I could avoid spending an unnecessary $45 it would be nice.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:25 AM   #19 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Because the previous owner put those HX rims on there, I would look into getting RE92'S for tires. Will probably pick up 3 to 4 mpg at least, and the car will be a little snappier.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:28 AM   #20 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

separate thread?

Quote:

Honda Automotive Parts
I would recommend posting this question as a new thread in the off-topic tech sub-forum. Might get better response there. Personally, I am inexperienced with the PCV. But we have some civic owners with lots of experience who might not notice this question in a thread with this title. Hope that helps.

Reply  Post New Thread