Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2008, 02:17 AM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Hello,

On the hydrogen storage front, I saw an episode of Scientific American Frontiers where a man named Stan Ovshinsky showed Alan Alda a powdered metal (I believe it is similar to nickel metal hydride, but I could be wrong) that can hold TWICE as much hydrogen in a given volume than a high pressure tank.

SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN FRONTIERS: Hydrogen Hopes

The whole article is very interesting -- Stan Ovshinsky is as amazing guy; but check page 4 for the "solid hydrogen storage".

The trick is that the metal heats up when you charge it with hydrogen, so they were using a water jacket to cool it. I think the metal could be charged with hydrogen in a building (a fueling station) where the heat could be recovered -- and then the expended metal powder could be moved out of the car's tank with a vacuum system, and then the charged metal powder could be moved into the car's tank with the same vacuum system.
Great article, thank you for let me know.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Closed Thread  Post New Thread